Author Topic: BO-105 question  (Read 6993 times)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
BO-105 question
« on: June 26, 2009, 01:17:50 AM »
Hi guys!

Does anybody know any BO-105 pilots? (except Chuck and his super-modified helo)
Does anybody know if you can sling out of these things?

A buddy of mine wants to get one for a project and was asking me but I don't know anything about these things nor have I ever seen one sling anything.....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
Re: BO-105 question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 01:32:34 AM »
Haven't seen one sling but I know the NY State police BO-105 out of Saranac Lake, NY is fitted with a hoist for rescue work...

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline Antares

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 06:49:44 AM »
Hi there,

I'm new to CW, will introduce myself soon.

Here's some technical Info about it:

Eurocopter BO-105 Helicopter Specifications
Maximum weight: 2,500kg/5,512lb
Eurocopter BO-105 Helicopter Capacity: 1 pil.+4/5pass.
Maximum useful load (including mission fuel): 1,163kg/2,564lb
Sling load capacity: 1,200 kg/2,646lb
Eurocopter BO-105 Helicopter Maximal operational weight with external load: 2,600 kg/5,732 lb
Power plant: 2 x Allison 250-C20B
Eurocopter BO-105 Helicopter Take-off power (A.E.O.): 313 kW/420 shp
Maximum continuous power (A.E.O.): 298 kW/400 shp
Fast cruise speed ( at maximum weight): 243 km/h-131 kts
Eurocopter BO-105 Helicopter Maximum range with standard tank(s): 527 km-285 n.m.

And some trivia:

The Eurocopter BO-105 Helicopter CBS-5 is a lightweight twin-engine 5/6-seater multi-role helicopter.

Eurocopter BO-105 Helicopter has very high performance capability with one engine inoperative.

Its four-blade, rigid main rotor ensures excellent flight performance, maneuverability and total control, even in negative "g'' maneuvers. The blades are made of composite materials and are protected by an anti-erosion shield. This helicopter offers a high safety level, as its main systems (fuel, hydraulic, electrical and lubrication) are redundant.

It is equipped with 2 Allison 250-C 20B turbine engines and is particularly suited for the medevac, police, offshore, and passenger transport operations.

The Eurocopter BO-105 Helicopter CBS-5 is certified for IFR flights.

Have a look at this Site for more info: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/bo105.htm

Here's a picture of poor quality - it's realy hard to identify the heli as a BO... http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bo-105_mit_Au%C3%9Fenlast_vor_der_Skyline_von_Celle_-_postprocessed.jpg

In a german article (yes, I'm a Kraut  ;D) about the 40'th anniversary of the BO-105 (in 2007, worlds first lightweight, twoengine series-helicopter) there ist a last Version mentioned: BO105 LS A3 „Superlifter": Maximum weight 2850kg, max. external (sling-) load 1350kg. There's my source: http://www.bdli.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=bdliarticle&layout=lrifakten&id=576&Itemid=61.

As far as I remember the BO-105 was one of the first helis able to fly loopings. I realy saw that on an airshow several years ago... neat thing! Sorry for not having any pictures of that...

Hope that help's a little...

Greetings
Ulrich alias Antares
Erstaunlich: Kaum macht man es richtig, schon funktioniert's

Translation-Try: Astonishingly: As soon as you're doing it the right way, it will function promptly
(IT-based knowledge...)

Offline Antares

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 07:02:48 AM »
Another site (mainly in german, sorry!) I just found:

http://www.planet-helicopter.com/D/BO105LS/bo105LS_geschichte.php

Scrolling down a little you will see a small but clear Image of a BO105 with slingload.

And at the end of the page it is mentioned that in 2007 development hasn't stoped. The firstflight of BO105 LS A-3 Superlifter, SN 2042 with RR Allison 250-C30P engines ist announced...
Erstaunlich: Kaum macht man es richtig, schon funktioniert's

Translation-Try: Astonishingly: As soon as you're doing it the right way, it will function promptly
(IT-based knowledge...)

Offline Chopper Doc

• Cockerel
  • Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 02:17:34 PM »
IIRC, the last BO-105 came off the line this winter.  I've worked on them a bit and they do get used for external loads.  The main rotor can be a bit of a bear to smooth - the rigid head tends to like the blades trimmed to fly at only one speed, so other phases of flight can be rougher than you'd like.  Not really a problem, more of a characteristic.

I might be able to come up with a contact for you, Mike.

Wait, out.
"I keep a bottle of stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."
  - WC Fields

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 04:26:12 PM »
Thanks guys!

It seems everybody has seen them do loops but nobody has seen them sling anything....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 05:39:48 PM »
Welcome to the coop Ulrich, a.k.a. Antares!   ::wave:: ::wave:: ::wave:: ::wave::

Do please post something about yourself.  We always welcome newbies here.

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall