Author Topic: Say the winds again please  (Read 10080 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Say the winds again please
« on: April 25, 2006, 10:04:56 PM »
ROFL that was awesome! We all here know the aviation joke about Say: Airspeed, Airspeed! etc. etc. but that's the first time it came from the tower! That was a brand-new twist and especially against Chuck then it's awesome!  Standing |:)\

Btw what type of Piper is that (I'm not a piper expert otherwise I'm sure the drawing is more than detailed enough to tell)?

Frank
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 10:07:42 PM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Say the winds again please
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 11:40:08 PM »
Yeah I think the controllers are slowly catching on to Chuck... ;D

About the Piper:

Let's have some more guys guess what it is before we have Stefan reveal what he was looking at when he drew it!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 12:12:41 AM »
Ah I think I got it. At first I thought it was a Cheyenne but the tail and engine-cowling didn't match at all but then I found it, a Seneca. The Seneca and Seminole are the two only Pipers besides the Tomahawk I can actually identify on sight, or so I thought.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

fireflyr

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 10:25:32 AM »
AW HECK, It's an Aztec!!!

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
  • My da*n easy button's broken. Can I borrow yours?
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 04:18:23 PM »
yep. that was my first thought: an aztec
The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time. - Unknown

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 08:32:04 PM »

A 1000 points go to Fireflyer!! |:)\

and 500 to plthijnx

I am sure Stefan is going to be very pleased, that it can be identified by our fellow aviation professionals. I'll make sure he reads this post when he gets back....

What gave it away (on the cartoon plane) ???

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
  • My da*n easy button's broken. Can I borrow yours?
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 08:50:31 PM »
the shape of the engine cowls and the nose. if there had been a hole in the tip of the nose then i would have said an apachamo, an apache with a geronimo conversion.
The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time. - Unknown

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 09:14:48 PM »
Oh man am I ashamed, and me that can spot the difference between a 93 and 96 Ford Mondeo at 50 meters distance while driving. I looked at the number and shape of the sidewinods, the tail and the basic position of the engine intake. I guess I should've looked thrue all Pipers at Airliners.net first. My apologies to Stefan, I thought the oversized bulge of the nose was due to the drawing style since I did think it looked bigger than the Seneca but after googling Aztec I can see now it was very accurate.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

fireflyr

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 11:26:47 PM »

What gave it away (on the cartoon plane) ???

An Aztec is an Aztec is an Aztec----I could even tell this one hadn't hauled freight because there was no duct tape on the wing tips and no scratches and dents on the nose. ;D

That calls for a big "ATTABOY" for Stef |:)\

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 12:26:17 AM »
He He . . .  true that!
Come to think of it, I've never seen an Aztec without scratches or dents in the nose. I know Stefan didn't draw this off a picture I took but rather a Piper catalog or something I think...

But knowing Chuck it current paint-job might not last long either.... ;)

There is actually quite a bit of thinking behind what Roost-Air flies and why. We should really post the whole background and exact models and N-numbers for you guys, huh?!
We have it all written down to keep us consistent...

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 03:39:07 PM »
Now I know why I dismissed an Aztec, take a look at the picture of one at Airliners.net, it's got a tiny button-nose and not that long gynther the Roost-Air one has (Gynther is used in danish as a nickname for a big nose). But seriously, was a Seneca that far off?

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 07:01:33 PM »
I thought Seneca at first, too, but there's no cargo door on the left side.  Looks like early model Aztecs had a snub nose, but they were extended in later models.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 10:41:32 PM »
You know, I am not sure all of a sudden anymore.  :-[ heech!
I do remember discussing with my brother Aztec versus Seneca and remember pushing the Seneca...
I'll write him and we will also post more "background information" about the Roost-Air crew and their
fleet here pretty soon...

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2006, 12:28:31 AM »
You yourself aren't sure anymore?! Yowzers!  :o

On another note, I forgot to add that I'd love the inside scoop on Roost-Air, in fact I thought about asking if you had the full tailnumbers, specific aircraft types etc. planned out but I thought I choose to, try and, keep my post short.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

fireflyr

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006, 12:50:41 AM »
AW COME ON !!!!!

It's a damned Aztec----you can't have my 1000 points back.

The nose is way too big for a Seneca and the cowlings are Aztruck or I'll eat'em --besides, there is no rear double door for back seat entry,    Period---End of Discussioin

Prove me wrong and my veeeery big and veeery mean Sicilian wife will be looking you up ! (she loves her daddy and always wants him happy) ;D