Author Topic: DEBUGGING  (Read 6854 times)

fireflyr

DEBUGGING
« on: April 18, 2006, 01:48:03 PM »
Good play on words!

Any pilot knows what a pain in the neck bugs can be, especially if they've had time to bake in the sun!   :D

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
  • My da*n easy button's broken. Can I borrow yours?
Re: DEBUGGING
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 02:19:58 PM »
yeah, no doubt! i especially hate the times of the year when the love bugs are out in full force. fly long enough at lower altitudes and your aircraft is black with them...
The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time. - Unknown

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 03:44:29 PM »
LOL that was a good one, except a 500 doesn't need much debugging at all if we're talking the Amiga 500 computer. It was my families first computer, the Batman Pack, with F/A-18 Interceptor! The mother of home flight-games! (my brother had a ZX81 and C64 before that though) I still got the third Amiga, a 1200, in working order here. I read that there's a product called Reje-X or something like that, that helps against problems like that.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 04:19:33 PM »
Thanks guys!

That's funny about the Amiga 500. We didn't think about that when we thought of the strip (at least I didn't, my brother might have), but it's a nice coincidence!

Right now I am cleaning pollen off my winshield every morning. It's amazing what's all flying arund here in Arkansas in the spring time. The whole windshield is completely covered to a oint where really couldn't see out enough to fly safely, and every time you about to set down at an airport we blow pollen all over the place like dust with our helos...
But I agree, "Baked on" bugs are the worst!

The best thing I have found is a spray called "Plexus" which also fills in slight cracks in the plastic and makes the windshield really nice, but you'd have to use it every day (!) to keep the windshield "lubed up" so the bugs don't stick so good. If you skip it a couple of days and then used it on top of the bugs, it's almost like it seals them in and makes it worse....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Firegirl

• Cockerel
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 08:22:21 PM »
HA HA!
If I had a nickel for everytime I had to DEBUG one of those helicopters...

I found that many pilots seem to have their own "ritual" when it comes to cleaning the
windshield and a lot of them don't even let anybody else touch it.
What do you guys do? (except you, Mike since you already told us  ;) )
If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet you could shoot beer out of you nose.  --- Jack Handy

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 09:23:02 PM »
I guess I don't care who cleans it, as long as I can tell them how to do it.   ;) 
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 08:02:53 AM »
HA HA!
If I had a nickel for everytime I had to DEBUG one of those helicopters...

I found that many pilots seem to have their own "ritual" when it comes to cleaning the
windshield and a lot of them don't even let anybody else touch it.
What do you guys do? (except you, Mike since you already told us  ;) )

See, there is an other difference between Europeans and US Americans. In my whole live as an engineer I’ve never ever met a pilot who would not let be clean the windows. It is very hard to find a pilot who cleans the windows by himself. I’ve met a lot of pilots but only a hand full who are rated in operating a sponge and soapy water. Engineers are rated. By birth
If helicopter flying would be difficult, engineers would do it.

fireflyr

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 02:18:00 PM »
I would rather clean my own windows---hate having to look past bugs and sunglare from ashes is really bothersome.   I guess things are different here, I've NEVER found a mechanic (engineer) who would clean windows--which is OK because they have more important things to attend to (like making sure stuff doesn't fall off my airplane) ! |:)\

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 04:00:23 PM »
Very wise words Jim, I'd rather have the engineer keep the plane in working order and then clean the windows myself too. Since you're the one that's going to be using the windows anyway then you can best check if it's good enough. I cleaned windows on the 206 today in fact, over half a dozen bird-droppings all over the roof and windows, too bad the 206 is a Peugeot and not a Cessna. You know when the loan is paid off then that car would've cost my mom 40K+ USD. 10 years interest and 180% registration tax.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 07:09:56 PM »
@ Frank: to bad you’ve thought about a Cessna. As I read “206” I thought, ah, now he is on the right path: he started to clean the windows of a BELL 206 HELICOPTER. But no. I would have accepted the Peugeot. But Cessna… He, where are all this shoes, glasses and knifes flying towards me coming from?  :o Ah, the fixed wing fraction of this forum. Ok, ok, sorry Sirs. Well I’m a rotorhead, you know and I stay it and stop beating me please I never say it again but please stop throwing things at me at least the knives ….

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 07:39:36 PM »
The reason I only said Cessna is because I know a JetRanger just as a Bell JetRanger not a 206. I'd love to try to fly a sling-wing under safe conditions with a skilled and friendly pilot in the next seat watching out, or at least get a passenger-ride.

But, if there ever breaks out heated battles between stuck and slingwingers then I'm sure Mike and Jane will put that fire out in a Jiffy :D

Besides, you can't compare a slingwing with a stuck wing, they are two distinctively different types of flying machines so you can't say one is better than the other, just what you might prefer to fly or can afford but there's no reason not to have mutual respect and friendship, we are after all, aviators, well except me :(

Greetings to all  |:)\
Frank

P.S. Has anyone ever tried using the rotors to dry a helicopter after washing it? :D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 07:45:14 PM by Frank N. O. »
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 07:53:12 PM »
Frank, please stop, my side hurts. I can’t stop laughing. :D

We are not comparable, at all. But there is no need to compare. Both we work on the same product: Flight safety!

But we like to pull as a leg … ;)

Frank, one time you will sit in a flying 206, ether one. You will see.

And yes, I’ve tried to dry a helicopter after washing with the rotor running. But that does not work so well. You get the helo dry while flying … ;)