Author Topic: The Dancing Hoplite  (Read 4159 times)

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: The Dancing Hoplite
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 04:13:07 AM »
Whew!
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 05:15:46 AM »
Actually, from someone in the industry---not that impressive. Many years ago I used to do airshow routines--without tooting my own horn--the start and end of his routine look identical to mine apart from I had smoke at the ending and did the auto from 400 feet. The best routine I saw was by Dennis Kenyon in a 300---I will find a link and Post it for you.

Wild guess, but he is prolly practising for the world championships---many many years ago, (early 90's), I hung out with the Russian team one night after a competition...lots of vodka with s[am shooters----good bunch of guys.
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 04:53:08 PM »
I still think it's kind of impressive, because it's not that small of a helicopter....

Did you notice all of his turns are to the left?
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 08:56:16 PM »
I still think it's kind of impressive, because it's not that small of a helicopter....

Did you notice all of his turns are to the left?

Yep, mostly by playing with the torque. I have a whopping 30 minutes flying an MI-2 from way back in 92. Here are some impressive maneuvers for a large machine:

Not the best footage but an S-58:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4xZIg6NNkw

Here is Dennis Kenyon who recently crashed during a display:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ9qwAu8dCM&feature=related

As a side-note he and the Brits won the world championship in 92--which was then contested because he only performed in the one event. We felt is was unfair to bring in a professional airshow performer to just do the one section, we felt he should have flown in each section like the rest of us. We were over ruled--the judges were mostly English---most of the pilots from that years competitions have never entered competitions since---too many politics.
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 03:11:11 AM »
For a fixed wing operator who's freaked out by those whirly thingies, it's all pretty impressive.   ;)  |:)\
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 09:13:32 AM »
You tell me... One of my vague memories of an airshow in some 2002 was a Hind doing some pretty crazy stuff. And that is some 9 tons of solid steel in there, empty.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 06:04:14 AM »
Wow, easy or not, I still find it a beautiful display, like an aerial ballet 8)  |:)\
I like the music that was on there too.

Mike: Has it got something to do with the main rotor?

Frank
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 06:09:19 AM by Frank N. O. »
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 04:48:39 PM »

Mike: Has it got something to do with the main rotor?

Frank

Yes! G-Man kind of already mentioned it in his post. He's using the torque from the main rotor system to help him out in the turns. Most helos prefer to turn one way rather than the other depending on which way the blades rotate.....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 08:24:29 PM »
Oops, I overlooked the top line he posted and went straight for the videoclips, I should start reading more carefully.

The video of the S-58 started off quite scary, I was sure he was going to hit the stands flying like that, but he didn't. I guess I still can't forget that video of the airshow in China(?) where that small twin's wings broke off in mid-flight.

I didn't know a simple 300 could do stuff like that safely, but I guess it's all about physics and pilot-knowledge. On a sidenote then it strange to read that comment from his alleged daughter.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci