Author Topic: What have you flown so far?  (Read 186271 times)

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
Re: What have you flown so far?
« Reply #195 on: May 18, 2007, 04:40:50 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention... I just love round engines!  They are a dying breed, and I miss them more and more while flying turboprops.  Makes me sad to see them fade away slowly like they are.

Come to Alaska.  ;)

You know, DC-6s are actually quite fast airplanes.   Earlier today we were at our barber pole (by this time was at the Vne of 247 kts) with power in descending through 15,000 ft at a good clip and they were in cruise at 4,000 ft and we only had 50 kts on them.  They cruise around at over 200 indicated (something around 220 or so it seems).

Of course, I've heard that Everts is also the largest consumer of 100LL in the world... by an extremely large number...

One of their pilots told me the DC-6's use 300gal/hr in cruise and 400 in climb.  And that he'd calculated how many millions of gallons of 100LL he'd burned in his carreer at one point. 

But it seems the Round engines are making a bit of a comeback, at least in the homebuilt world.  Between the M-14 and the Rotec radials we're seeing more and more of them.  Some friends of mine are building a Canadian Northstar that uses the M-14, and there's a couple Murphy Moose being built in town too.  I'm hoping the Rotec's new 150hp engine pans out well.  That'd look awsome on the front of Bearhawk I'm building.

Phil  ::cowboy::

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #196 on: May 18, 2007, 06:27:06 PM »
Rooster: You have got to a Blanik there in US? Nice plane isnt it? :) Still waiting to fly one, despite them being about 10 just 5km from my home :)
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #197 on: May 19, 2007, 07:27:41 PM »
Rooster: You have got to a Blanik there in US? Nice plane isnt it? :) Still waiting to fly one, despite them being about 10 just 5km from my home :)

Yes, its a very nice sailplane.  Its been about 18 years or so since I flew it, but it was a memorable experience.  I just wish I could add Glider to my certificates, but the wife says I gotta pay for the house first.  Maybe after I retire I can do that (in about 40 years...)
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #198 on: May 19, 2007, 07:41:32 PM »
Come to Alaska.  ;)

I'm working on that!  Hoping to make it to Alaska for the first time either this summer or fall.  I am looking forward to my first trip up north.   8)

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #199 on: May 20, 2007, 03:33:08 PM »

Yes, its a very nice sailplane.  Its been about 18 years or so since I flew it, but it was a memorable experience.  I just wish I could add Glider to my certificates, but the wife says I gotta pay for the house first.  Maybe after I retire I can do that (in about 40 years...)

Well I am not sure how about in the US but it is pretty cheap in Europe... after all you need no fuel :) so I dont think it would be that big of problem to have...
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2007, 07:09:12 AM »

Well I am not sure how about in the US but it is pretty cheap in Europe... after all you need no fuel :) so I dont think it would be that big of problem to have...

You need plenty of fuel!   Tow planes don't run on dreams and wishes!   ;)

-Ryan
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #201 on: May 21, 2007, 07:10:07 AM »
Come to Alaska.  ;)

I'm working on that!  Hoping to make it to Alaska for the first time either this summer or fall.  I am looking forward to my first trip up north.   8)

Be sure to say hi if you do!  

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #202 on: May 21, 2007, 09:23:54 AM »

You need plenty of fuel!   Tow planes don't run on dreams and wishes!   ;)

-Ryan

You have no winch starts over there ???

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #203 on: May 21, 2007, 09:25:32 AM »

:)   <----    You

???  <---     Me

Way over my head.    Not a glider guy... but the glider pilots I know use tow planes....    assuming you mean some sort of catapult setup?

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #204 on: May 21, 2007, 10:12:55 AM »

:)   <----    You

???  <---     Me

Way over my head.    Not a glider guy... but the glider pilots I know use tow planes....    assuming you mean some sort of catapult setup?

Well... for our purposes... yes :) I am sure Franz can explain the systems better than I can.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #205 on: May 22, 2007, 07:31:30 PM »
Come to Alaska.  ;)

Be sure to say hi if you do!  

Roger Wilco   ::cowboy::

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #206 on: May 26, 2007, 11:47:24 PM »
I thought putting a motor on it meant it wasn't a sailplane anymore...

In any case... am I to understand that they are simply doing all this in flight simulator?

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #207 on: May 27, 2007, 07:21:03 AM »
I know what a motorglider is.    ;)

I was just saying that I figured that a motor glider was by definition not a sailplane  (as you said, a category of their own!).

Although that one doesn't seem to be a motor glider either.  Seems to just be an aircraft that is intended to be powered throughout the flight.  :D

Why yes, I am being difficult....   :D

Either way, interesting project... although I'm not quite sure what actually doing that will accomplish.

Re: you comment about batteries and pollution... this is one reason that hybrid vehicles are a farce as far as "environmentally friendly" is concerned.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 07:23:06 AM by Baradium »

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #208 on: May 27, 2007, 08:08:46 PM »
Absolutely!!! ::knockedout:: So far, alternative energys are NOT ecofriendly in their manufacture: ::banghead:: and alternative fuels are turning green England (with "Biodiesel") into a Yellow color countryside PLUS the smell...read http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2007/05/stories/06/1.html?text and cry... ::loony::

DonYan

I actually know a bit about biodiesel.  I used to own a diesel Scout (International Scout that is) and looked into it and know a few people that run it.   The manufacture and smell depends on your source.  The guys I know either use straight WVO (waste vegetable oil) from restuarants or refine that into diesel fuel.

They claim that waste based biodiesel smells like what was cooked in it.   IE, Donuts, French Fries,  Chicken etc.    Burning straight WVO provides very little pollution as well.   Bio diesel in general also tends to have low pollution output, although you do have to be careful with some chemicals when refining it.    The people I know who use it refine their own or in some cases burn straight oil fresh from McDonalds  (one guy in HI actually had a problem when he accidentally poured a french fry into the tank on his diesel scout).

I'm not familiar with the processes for biodiesel made specifically for that purpose... but I'm sure it doesn't smell so nice and I believe they use some nastier chemicals than the home brewers do.

P.S.  1,000.... do I get a prize?

Offline RagDragger

• Fledgling
  • Indian Name: Running Tab
« Reply #209 on: June 15, 2007, 12:03:07 AM »
Bit of an old thread, but I thought I'd add my list.  In order:
C-172
Beech Sierra (flew ok, but best glide was 105 MPH...that's not a glide, IMO)
Citabria
Piper Seminole
C-150
172RG
J3, PA18, PA12, and J5 Cubs, modified to one extent or another for banner towing
Oh, and I safety piloted for a guy in an amphib C206 with a G1000 in it.  Flew like a dump truck with all that float on it.  That G1000 has more bells and whistles than I can count though. 
That's it for now, hoping to expand my list as time goes on. 

Edit: forgot about the 150, slow but fun
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 03:00:55 AM by RagDragger »
God looks out for drunks and dumb animals.  Fortunately, I qualify on both counts.