Author Topic: Cars for pilots  (Read 13038 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Cars for pilots
« on: April 14, 2006, 12:09:51 PM »
I'd been wondering if there was a certain type of car a pilot would drive, like a SAAB (made by an aircraft company) or Porsche 911 (air-cooled boxer-engine) but then I found these pictures and since the Photo thread still had a few un-replied posts I thought it warranted a seperate thread for the sake of order.

Want to have a private jet on the ground? How about a Learjet limosine?
http://up.autotitre.com/forum/up/b9daea5b69.jpg
http://up.autotitre.com/forum/up/75a98a7a2b.jpg

Or something a little more carlike, the 1987 Chevrolet Express turbine-concept meant to "fly" at 150 mph on special hghways for long-distance travel. I like the shape myself, hopefully it's got a real low cd (coefficient of drag) with that shape and enclosed wheels.
http://up.autotitre.com/forum/up/b3022ba0ac.jpg

Actually I've had a passionate idea about a gasturbine driven car for years, especially after reading a european comic called Spirou and Fantasio where the now late Andre Franquin designed the Turbotraction Turbot-Rhino 1 in 1954 that looked absolutely fantastic and was turbine-driven and fwd. I just recently found out that none other than Franco Sbarro made a real-life model of it, no idea what kind of engine it has, if any though.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Cars for pilots
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 01:59:56 PM »
Want to have a private jet on the ground? How about a Learjet limosine?
http://up.autotitre.com/forum/up/b9daea5b69.jpg
http://up.autotitre.com/forum/up/75a98a7a2b.jpg

Eew.  That's just a perfectly good airplane made ugly.   ;D 

I like this one...
http://www.marineturbine.com/motorsports.asp
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Callisto

• Cockerel
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 11:16:59 PM »
I'd been wondering if there was a certain type of car a pilot would drive, like a SAAB (made by an aircraft company) or Porsche 911 (air-cooled boxer-engine)

SAAB is GM now... plus the 9-2x is an un-pimped Subaru WRX... "Born from jets"... *pffft*  ::)  (sorry SAAB fans... but I'd rather have a Gripen)

Subaru has Boxer-engines too

I guess you have your choice of pilot cars here... http://www.pilotcars.com/    :D

Or how about a Honda Pilot (or is that just too easy?)  ;D
If not completely satisfied with this post, return unused portion for full refund.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 10:01:06 PM »
Ah the YK2 Jetbike, classic indeed.

Yes SAAB is now owned by GM, like german Opel, English Vauxhaull and australian Holden have been for decades and the new SAAB's are based on the Opel Vectra middleclass platform that btw will be the base for some new Saturn models too I heard. The SAAB 9-2X is absolutely awfull, it's a direct offense to both SAAB and Subaru that are or were both unique and good carbrands. The Grippen has a massive engine but no LSD or TCS and that is based on the old Opel Vectra platform but is much heavier than the Opel and has a simple suspension so it's got bad handling which is a very very big shame :( At least SAAB still makes their own engines, except the diesel and the basis for the V6 that now however is turbocharged and heavily modified. The 2.3 SAAB 4-cylinder Turbo has earth-shattering torque that can rival a diesel-engine but of course that's a bad thing for starting efficiently from a sideroad in a unregulated intersection if the suspension isn't capable of handling the torque, that's why I'd like a AWD Sedan like a Subaru for instance (and the boxer-sound of a Subaru is so wonderfully rolling) I wouldn't want wings on it though, no need for streetdriving.

I'd most likely want a late-90s Ford Mondeo sedan, the base/cousin of the US Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique, the mk1 Mondeo actually existed in a AWD version btw.

One classic is the Chrysler Ghia Gas Turbine Coupe. 120 hp but equivalent to a 200hp piston engine they claimed. 4000 lbs but could do 0-60 mph in 10 seconds in a normal start, but a test-driver said it could do sprint in 5 seconds if you revved the turbine up first. 120hp propelling 4000 lbs from 0-60 seconds in 5 seconds!? That's really extreme.

Volvo actually developed gasturbine-engines for cars up in the 80s and their "mk1" engine tested in a production Volvo could in the early 80s rival diesel-engine economy and they were working on a "mk2" that could do better. They also made the ECC in the 90s that was a gasturbine-electric hybrid which sounds pretty cool and very fuel-efficient.

Another pilot-aspect is fly-by-wire and that's now being made into cars, in ways I don't think they should, not only the throttle which is one thing but also brakes and to some extent also steering. I thought it was illegal not to have a mechanical link for the brakes and steering until recently but Daimler and BMW are probably heavyweights, and with all that stuff on board so are they on the road. Btw while you might have heard about the MB brakes then maybe the steering needs some details, BMW has developed a system to work with ESP so it can steer the wheels 10 degrees from the steeringwheel's indication to keep the car stable and that probably can't be done with a fixed link I think. Can someone remember the fly-by-wire problems resulting in some wild flying and then crashing of both a F-22 and a SAAB JAS-39? I don't want to get near those cars, but especially the BMW's are so ugly in my eyes that that won't be a problem.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 05:50:21 PM »
I have made several interesting observations about pilots cars here in LA.
The guys from Helinet (they fly news and charters, VIP and movie stuff) all drive the typical LA SUV or BMW or Porsche.
But us fire guys look like Air America compared to them (although we make more money). I guess we are just not as much into the LA image as they are. Amng our pilots we have an old Toyota pick-up 4WD with a plummers rack on top, an old Toyota pick-up with a camper shell (both bumpers bent), an old Subaru AWD that is still completely covered with the red sand from Hawaii, a couple of motorcycles, and an old Ford pick-up from the 70's. What a difference !!
I thought it was funny ;D
Fire is a different world compared to VIP charter....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 12:36:35 AM »
LOL that is indeed a big difference, however I noticed you failed to mention your car, or which one was yours if the car itself was described ;)

I guess I shouldn't be surprised since we've already seen the difference in dress-code for fire-pilots vs the more publically upper-class pilots for private jets (mohawks in the desert :D ) etc.
However, you guys, and gals, have again given proof that worth isn't something you can judge from a brief first appearence but luckily the people in control don't judge people like that although the public often does. I'd rather hang around the pilots and aircrew I knew were nice and responsible in normal clothes than with boring ones with a fancy uniform like they're comming from dinner with the Queen of England, although of course, people with a fancy uniform can still be good people of course. The saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover" works both ways.

Btw speaking of SAAB, have you noticed there's a airline-style plaque on the back of the driver's side sunshade about how to sit, fix the seatbelt etc. in later models? Lol.

Frank

P.S. I just noticed I mis-spelled the bike's name, it's Y2K, not YK2, I did think something looked wrong at the time of writting but I only just remembered it now.
— Leonardo da Vinci

SkyKing

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 04:23:03 AM »
I'm a pilot.  Cars don't count.

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 06:24:03 AM »
I'm a pilot.  Cars don't count.

How you get to work? By train?
If helicopter flying would be difficult, engineers would do it.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 10:32:53 AM »
LOL both of those were good ones  :D

It is true however that just because you like one kind of vehicle (aircraft) that you like the other kinds as well (like a car, motorbike, boat, train etc.) but I was just wondering.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 11:09:45 AM »
I like horses, btw. And I have one. Well, I don’t ride to work although sometimes I wish to. The distance is just too far.

But it shows I do have other interests as well. Ah ok, ok. There is the family and the house and so on. But the horse and riding sport too. ;D

But you are right Frank. I’m not so interested in cars, motorbikes, boats, …  ::)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 04:17:19 PM »
Lol that first line was quite funny, imagine using one of the earliest forms of transport to arrive to the newest form of transport (if I remember correctly then the heavier-than-air flying machine is the latest, cars, trains, boats and bicycles were already invented before 1903).

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 06:47:48 PM »
Oh, how poetic, Frank. Thank you!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 10:35:28 PM »
What came first? The horse or the airplane?  ;)

fireflyr

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2006, 12:52:09 AM »
Good question---Remember Pegasus ??????? HMMMM?????

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006, 01:55:21 AM »
that's kind of what I was hinting at, heh heh  ;)