Author Topic: Check out Mikes new ride!  (Read 23030 times)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Check out Mikes new ride!
« on: March 28, 2009, 11:55:22 PM »
Here is my new ride. Doesn't have a name yet though.
Nobu and I have been practicing the last 2 weeks and worked out all the little bugs that were still left over...

It's a 1965 UH-1H, completely overhauled and re-done. -703 engine (1800SHP), fast-fin, and an almost modern cockpit.
Flies really great!

All we need now is another fire season.....  ::thinking::
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Check out Mikes new ride!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 11:58:23 PM »
OHH NOOOOOOOOO, YOU WENT AND DID IT!!!!

Now we can say, without fibbing, "Yeah...  Mike's at work...  in the 7-11!!"
    ::eek::

Wow, she's a real Red Rocket........  sweet!!!!!!!!!!     ::bow::

::bow::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 12:01:36 AM »
looks like a clifford to me   :D

Beautiful bird...  I love hearing those things flying overheard.  Air Logistics and Evergreen fly them up north (well that or the civilian variant).
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 12:02:11 AM »
did Colonel Kilgore come with it?
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Firegirl

• Cockerel
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 05:06:50 AM »
Mike seen inside the 7-11!   ::eek::

HA HA  ::rofl::

Woot Woot!  ;D
If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet you could shoot beer out of you nose.  --- Jack Handy

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 09:41:47 AM »
Any one else hear Ride of the Valkyries?  ::whistle::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Ragwing

• Rooster
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 02:18:33 PM »
Mike,
REALLY NICE BIRD ::bow:: ::wave::
Love the cherry red.

Your cockpit instrumentation is scary!! ::eek::
I was expecting a lot more changes.
It would not take much to transition.
The artificial horizon location would throw me for a while.

Comparison of "H" models.  Standard Issue and Mike's

Offline Chopper Doc

• Cockerel
  • Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 03:26:55 PM »
Nice pics, Ragwing.  The "H" even still had the armoured seats and the steam-powered radios.

And Mike, welcome to the big leagues.  Now if you'd just get the tail rotor moved to the other side and the 212 rotor system installed (10,200 internal and 10,500 external) you'd be flying ships like some of the ones I work: we operate two 205A1's, one "+" with the 212 rotor/-13 engine, and a "++" with the 212 rotor/-17 donkey.

http://www.eaglecopters.com/PDFs/Eagle.GateFold.Comp.v3.9.pdf will download a brochure for the Eagle Singe, a 212 with the TwinPac removed and a T53-17 (civvie version of the -701 you're running) installed.  Gross weight is 11,200 and the basic empty is around 6,000.  We operate two of the Singles and a third is expected this spring.  We load one 90gal aux tank and fly them for forestry bucket ships; the 350 gal (Imperial) Bambi on a 165' longline is about 3700#.  That still leaves two hours endurance plus reserves even if you start with a full bucket.  If need be, we have the dump pumps installed in the buckets so the turn can be started with fuel for three hours endurance and the excess load pumped off while picking the bucket until the fuel burns off.  Very handy firefighting machine when you can drop 3500# of water every cycle, right on the spot, without the downdraft stirring things up or knocking down trees.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 03:30:09 PM by Chopper Doc »
"I keep a bottle of stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."
  - WC Fields

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 04:51:44 PM »
Yeah, you're right Ragwing. We didn't change much on the panel. We build a new panel and our six-packs (or the equivalent, they're not complete) are now powered by DC, except for the AI on the right side. We even have some of the NVG equipment left in it. This used to be a National Guard trainer as far as I understand and didn't make it to Vietnam which is probably a good thing.

Chopper Doc, I have heard about the Single Eagle and seen one at the last HAI Expo and it looks like a SWEET set-up! I hear the TR gearbox conversion is kind of a big mod though. The problem we found is the price. The Eagle is almost three times the price than a 1H. This being the first medium for the company we are looking to build some budget first before moving on a new medium. I hope it works out because moving from all lights to a medium is a big step. Right now we're running a 324 bucket on a 150 line and since this is a very light ship after all the military crap was stripped out, we are looking at 4000lbs of payload. We have a 90gal AUX tank on the left side but it looks like we will have to leave it empty for bucket work.
And down here I think the FS would pay almost the same price an hour and per day no matter if you have a 324 or a 350, so it's hard to justify the extra cost...  ;)
BUT I would really like to have a standard category ship because it would allow us to do lift work within the city limits of LA which would be a big plus for the winter months.

I have another question for, will send you a PM.

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 05:40:21 PM »
It turned out nice huh.. So how is Jane feeling now that you just DUMPED her for something better??

Doc, I am glad you noticed all the work that went into Mike's machine. The Blue one in the background of the pics is mine. (Although I have yet to fly it---go figure, Mike and Nobu do all THEIR training in OUR aircraft, while I sit and watch--although to be honest I did not really want to do it). Below is a picture of the inside.. I will let you all determine WHO whines to the boss all the time. "I can't fly that its dirty", or "I dont like those old guages and buttons"..yada yada yada... Let the rivalry continue  ::whistle::   ::whistle::

Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Ragwing

• Rooster
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 05:41:56 PM »
This used to be a National Guard trainer as far as I understand and didn't make it to Vietnam which is probably a good thing.
That sounds really good.

The birds that went over were worked hard and put away wet. 
When you flew low to avoid Victor Charlie, you often flew through bamboo.
Your rotor was like a lawnmower, mowing the bamboo above you.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 07:08:42 PM »
It turned out nice huh.. So how is Jane feeling now that you just DUMPED her for something better??

Doc, I am glad you noticed all the work that went into Mike's machine. The Blue one in the background of the pics is mine. (Although I have yet to fly it---go figure, Mike and Nobu do all THEIR training in OUR aircraft, while I sit and watch--although to be honest I did not really want to do it). Below is a picture of the inside.. I will let you all determine WHO whines to the boss all the time. "I can't fly that its dirty", or "I dont like those old guages and buttons"..yada yada yada... Let the rivalry continue  ::whistle::   ::whistle::

hehe
good old 6TV....

I think the difference is one belongs exclusevly to the boss and the other one is a partnership.
You know that his new dog is called "Huey" right?!

The other day I got scolded for filing something on a cowling (on the inside!!! and only to keep a pressure line from rubbing against it) without asking him first!  ;)

So, it's not all us, buddy  ::complaining:
(a little self defense there....)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 07:10:06 PM »
This used to be a National Guard trainer as far as I understand and didn't make it to Vietnam which is probably a good thing.
That sounds really good.

The birds that went over were worked hard and put away wet. 
When you flew low to avoid Victor Charlie, you often flew through bamboo.
Your rotor was like a lawnmower, mowing the bamboo above you.

but trainers also get rided purdy ruff, don't they?  ;D

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 07:14:29 PM »
So, it's not all us, buddy  ::complaining:
(a little self defense there....)

Ahhh excuses excuses... I know how it is--out of sight -- out of mind.. We are just the bastard child up in RDD..  ::sulk:: ::sulk:: JK
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Chopper Doc

• Cockerel
  • Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right.
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 09:16:07 PM »
We operated two 204's that used to belong to Air America.  These are pics of one of those ships at work.
"I keep a bottle of stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."
  - WC Fields