Author Topic: Check out Mikes new ride!  (Read 23028 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: Check out Mikes new ride!
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 06:46:26 AM »
Wow, that looks great! And it's also the first time I've seen a bucket-seat in a helicopter.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2009, 03:53:36 PM »
What IS THAT, chopper doc?   ::unbelieveable::

Looks like some new generation 412.....

I think I want one!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Skid Kid

• Fledgling
  • Zulu Time!
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2009, 05:05:17 AM »
This guy or Chopper Doc?
Don't worry, it'll buff out.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2009, 11:03:02 AM »
This guy or Chopper Doc?
I think he was referring to your picture but thought it was Chopper Doc who posted it.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2009, 01:27:42 PM »
What IS THAT, chopper doc?   ::unbelieveable::

Looks like some new generation 412.....

You been in Mexico too long huh?

See Here
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2009, 05:46:38 PM »
Sorry Skid Kid! Got the wrong name!  ::bow::

Yeah, I was referring to your post!

So, a UH-1Y, huh?!?

AWESOME!

G-Man was right I spent too much time in Mexico.

When is the civilian version aviailable so we can use it in fire?!?!
18,000lbs max gross is awesome!!
Like I said, I WANT ONE !!!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2009, 10:17:51 PM »
WOW!  That sure ain't your Grandaddy's Huey!   ::bow:: ::bow:: ::bow::
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 12:15:01 AM »
When is the civilian version aviailable so we can use it in fire?!?!
18,000lbs max gross is awesome!!
Like I said, I WANT ONE !!!

And the rest---take out all the electroniic crap and you have a fighting machine----me thinks it may not be available to the civi market.
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 11:50:32 AM »
but does it come with MP3, Blue tooth, Air Conditioning, DVD player, surround sound systems all ready fitted?
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 03:15:12 PM »
but does it come with MP3, Blue tooth, Air Conditioning, DVD player, surround sound systems all ready fitted?

You only get that stuff in S-mom's minivan.  Gotta keep the kids happy!
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Chopper Doc

• Cockerel
  • Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right.
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009, 11:30:39 PM »
Installing an IPod port is one of the standard mods I do to every machine I work on.  Not only does it keep the kids happy, but I fly the left seat many days too.
"I keep a bottle of stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."
  - WC Fields

Offline Skid Kid

• Fledgling
  • Zulu Time!
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 03:03:15 AM »
Installing an IPod port is one of the standard mods I do to every machine I work on.  Not only does it keep the kids happy, but I fly the left seat many days too.

We already got that one figured out.   Just take any off the shelf headphone set, clip the wires after they split, crimp on pins, and install pins into the plug on the intercommunications system box in the spots for an un-used audio channel and ta-da! Now the whole crew can rock out to Ride of the Valkyries over downtown Baghdad!

Anywho, I hope they release a commercial version of the UH-1Y "Venom" once they get all the bugs worked out.  It might not be a maintenance friendly machine at the moment but it sure is a workhorse!

Offline Chopper Doc

• Cockerel
  • Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right.
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 01:22:54 PM »
Yup, same mod.  I have access to some 2.5mm jacks so I normally wire the audio panel input to the jack and then mount the jack someplace where a fidgeting crewman won't get tangled in the IPod cable or boot the plug off.

Little things can make the ride so much nicer.

Glad to hear that the "Y" is working out.  What kinds of issues are you experiencing with it that can be discussed without OPSEC heat?  Just having fun figuring out the normal systems integration issues?

I'd love to see Bell make a civvie version of the "W" as a heavy-lift bird.  Keep the pylons for external stores and ferry tanks and strip the excess weight from the rest of the machine and you'd have a great hook machine.  And unlike the K-Max, the engineer doesn't have to ride in a lawn chair strapped to the outside when a maintenance flight is required.
"I keep a bottle of stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."
  - WC Fields

Offline Skid Kid

• Fledgling
  • Zulu Time!
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2009, 05:49:46 AM »
Just figuring out what the normal wear and tear is gonna end up being.  The latest major problem we've had is that 2 of our bird's Main Rotor Gearboxes (why can't we call em transmission anymore!) threw some big frickin chips out in flight.  Both birds made it back to the ground OK ( the incidents happened within 2 weeks of each other) with no other damage to the aircraft and only slightly shaken crew members.  The investigations afterwards determined some of the internal gearing was substandard (don't remember the exact details on why) and they managed to narrow it down to a specific lot and then recalled them.   Other than that the training squadron next door had a slightly funny one where the electrically powered minigun jammed and dropped both generators offline.   ::loony::

And so life goes on...