Author Topic: New book! ...FINALLY!  (Read 13382 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Review of Think Big
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 07:39:19 AM »
Ok, I've read it now :)

First off, the format/quality is great, just like the second book, a joy to go thrue and really makes the printed drawings look good, and the paper also seems really thick so it's sure to last well! Thumbs up!  |:)\

Like with book 2 then the small extra drawings on the pages further enhances the great visual impression when reading the main strips |:)\

And the book contains more pages/jokes than ever and the price is great, also thumbs up |:)\

Overall I gave it two thumbs up!  |:)\ |:)\

A few notable jokes I especially liked (and which I hadn't seen before):
- Piper Aztec, half off ::rofl::
- Jedi Master he isn't, well maybe Julio will correct the offset balance of the plane done by Chuck's watch ::rofl::
- Duck Tales - The Sequel, poor Ray, buzzcuts don't go well with feathers!
- Page 39, really funny although I think I read the real reason was because of the need for a lot of instruments, and it had a periscope for forward vision.
- Page 64, he just can't keep his mouth shut huh?

I was wondering, are there any special guest appearences in this book? One I thought it might be is actually someone I don't know, John on page 89, simply because I haven't seen him before and there's no intro as to why he's in the CW universe or where Chuck knows him from.

One question though, page 88 is also a joke right? I don't think I'd rather go fishing if I was a commercial pilot.

Frank
P.S. There were three small tiny little errors I noticed, two lines are missing a word and a third line has the same word repeated twice. And my book had a slight ink-smear on one of the pages but it's not bad though so no biggie.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Thunder Eagle

Re: New book! ...FINALLY!
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 06:07:34 PM »
Great job on the book, guys.  I'm really enjoying it!  I just about blew coffee out my nose with the Bon Jovi reference.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Review of Think Big
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 06:18:38 PM »
One question though, page 88 is also a joke right? I don't think I'd rather go fishing if I was a commercial pilot.

no joke, Frank!
After 8,000flight hours, over 16 years in, and 563,469.5 filled out pieces of paperwork, I am sure you would too . . .     ;) :)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 06:22:52 PM »
Ok enough all ready dont ruin it for me please im still waiting on my copy!!  ::complaining:
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 06:23:38 PM »
THANKS FOR THE KUDOS EVERYBODY!!

I always enjoy seeing how everybody found different things more funny than others!
btw, you may have dated yourself there by "getting" the Bon Jovi reference Thunder Eagle . . . heh heh  ::rofl::
But we are HUGE Bon Jovi fans, and Peanut fans as you guys might be able to tell.....

Thunder Eagle, could I get you to write a one or two line review in our US-online shop?
(maybe even just copy and paste what you just posted in the forum?)

btw:...sitting on my boat listening to Bon Jovi as I am writing this..... weird.

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
Re: Review of Think Big
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 09:25:38 PM »
Hey Frank! Glad you liked the book! :-)

P.S. There were three small tiny little errors I noticed, two lines are missing a word and a third line has the same word repeated twice. And my book had a slight ink-smear on one of the pages but it's not bad though so no biggie.

Wow! You found more mistakes than myself then! Next time we'll give you the new book to proofread before we send it to the printer!  ;) Can you tell me where exactly the errors are? I try to write them down to fix them in potential future reprints.

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 11:02:45 PM »
really enjoyed the book Stef/Mike. all right to scan the pic of the new control tower?

P.S thanks for signing
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 03:42:14 AM »
Go ahead buddy!
Scan the tower!

Thanks for the kudos!  ::wave::

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 03:49:48 AM »
Got mine when I came home from the day job today... got it out of the box and put it aside as I had to leave for the night job (teaching ground school). Came home and am chilling out after a long day with the book... it's great! Much thicker than I expected! Another wonderful addition to the collection! Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!! |:)\ ::bow::

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 09:10:08 AM »
Oddball uninteresting fact No.1:  "Baa Baa Black Sheep" wasw called "The Black Sheep Squadron" over in the UK (but I dont know about anywhere else)
  was going to use the "not a sigle plane in the sky" sketch for a college project on air pollution but could not find it before the deadline, would of made a good slide at the end.

Offline Thunder Eagle

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 05:03:39 PM »
btw, you may have dated yourself there by "getting" the Bon Jovi reference Thunder Eagle . . . heh heh  ::rofl::

;D I found it especially funny because I've used this reference myself, while swimming.  On multiple occasions.  I think my lanemates were just as annoyed as Julio.  It must have been my singing, though, because Bon Jovi rocks.

Still thoroughly enjoying the book - I just open it at random and find plenty to chuckle about.  I'm digging the single-panes. Particularly, like everyone else, Sauron's control tower.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 03:37:45 AM »
Thanks guys. And thanks Thunder Eagle for the review in the shop!!  ::bow:: ::bow:: |:)\

Yes, Bon Jovi rocks! I grew up the 80's, I am not ashamed to say it.....

Can I get anybody else to post in the shop?  ;D ;)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 02:10:46 AM »
I'm looking forward to the new book....  it sounds GREAT!    ::bow::

::bow::

I just have to wait until I run off some new currency on the printing presses....    ::whistle::

All the dough around here has gone to the vet's office.....  at least their kids will all make it through college.   ::whistle::

The book sounds awesome, though, and I can't wait.   :)

:)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 05:18:32 PM »
Thanks guys. And thanks Thunder Eagle for the review in the shop!!  ::bow:: ::bow:: |:)\

Yes, Bon Jovi rocks! I grew up the 80's, I am not ashamed to say it.....
Me neither! |:)\
Can I get anybody else to post in the shop?  ;D ;)
Sure, I'll give it a shot, my small big-brother Michael have been visiting two of the last three days so I've fallen a bit behind on the forum and such but I'm going to catch up now.

Btw, was there a cameo/reference, besides TM, in the book?

One more thing, I was just looking thrue the book to find the pagenumber for the tiny notes Stef wanted and I suddently noticed that I'd misunderstood the joke on page 25! I thought he was after some more power, but then I noticed the wings and remember the Red Bull commercial I saw on german tv some years ago and then I got it! ::rofl:: ::rofl::
I wonder how many know the commercial and will get the joke.

Frank
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 05:20:09 PM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2009, 04:58:47 PM »
Ok, I'd better get these notes posted before I forget them again.

Page 28, 1st strip, 1st frame, Chuck says "more" twice in a row.
Page 38, 1st strip, 1st frame, Julio's reply seems to be missing a "sure".

Page 41, 1st strip. It might not really be an error but when I hear someone describing something easy then they usually say "like a hot knife thrue butter" since normally cutting thrue butter isn't easy, at least not the kind of butter we got here, but as I said, it might not really be an error since sayings vary between the different cultures.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci