Author Topic: Flight Managment Systms  (Read 8536 times)

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
Flight Managment Systms
« on: March 01, 2009, 02:27:28 PM »
Doing a re-sit paper about Flight managment systems and Ring Laser Gyros  just now for college and stuck on a couple of questions and hoping some of you out there might help:

any one know anything about four dimensional navigation or full performance based navigation?
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Ragwing

• Rooster
Re: Flight Managment Systms
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 04:38:55 PM »
Four-Dimensional Navigation: Four-dimensional navigation is the ability to accurately control time as well as position.
I sure wish I could control time.  I would use it to remove the ackward moment where I blew it with a gal I cared for.

Ok, Ok, lets get real.  It is not controlling time as the specification says, but to accurate control the use of time.
This is an application of controlling time:
The X-45A was given Time of Arrival (TOA) commands so the vehicle would reach a certain waypoints (defined by latitude, longitude, and altitude) in the mission plan at specified times.
The X-45A automatically adjusted its speed to overcome headwinds and changed its flight plan to arrive at the specified waypoints at the times commanded by the operator. Four-dimensional navigation is intended for coordinating attacks in support of combat missions and is the foundation for the UCAV’s multi-ship coordinated flight capability, where UCAVs will use this capability to arrive simultaneously at a designated waypoint and autonomously form up into a coordinated flight package, thereby greatly reducing the operator's workload.

Does  this mean that in the future, the airliner will be on time?

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 07:16:35 PM »
ok so lets see if i understand this right: if you enter a ETA into the Flight Managment System the aircraft when under control by autopilot and auto throttle will adjust the thrust settings and flight profile to meet the set deadline?

and no this probaly means  airliners will still be delayed.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 07:22:24 PM by Oddball »
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 12:55:53 PM »
any one know about full performance based navigation?

Offline Ragwing

• Rooster
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 01:57:05 AM »
Oh, Oh,
Sounds like Dilberts sales department has been promising a system that solves the common cold.
http://www.clubcontroltower.net/10Oct08/IN%20FOCUS............%20%20PERFORMANCE%20BASED%20NAVIGATION%20(PBN).htm

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 02:01:19 AM »
thanks ragwing fecking notes are incomplete i think, nothing in them about this.

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 02:47:37 AM »
any one know about full performance based navigation?

Yep, we have it. If I perform badly and do not get us to our destination in time for happy hour, then I have to buy the beers.. ::drinking:: ::drinking::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Ragwing

• Rooster
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 02:51:07 AM »
The term full performance based navigation is hard to find.
Easier to search on Performance Based Navigation (PBN).  I suspect that full means when the FAA completely finishes it.

What is Performance Based Navigation?

Broadly, PBN encompasses a shift from current ground-based navigation aids emitting signals to aircraft receivers, to ‘in-aircraft’ systems that receive satellite signals that meet specific accuracy and integrity requirements combined with the Global Positioning System (GPS) to advise the aircraft’s position.  
Once the required performance level is established, the aircraft’s own capability determines whether it can safely achieve the specified performance and qualify for the operation.

Ugh,
You should read the original 2006 specs.... It can really put one to sleep.

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 02:51:35 AM »
any idea on how it works G-man or is it magic to you?

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 02:55:04 AM »
thanks ragwing need something to help me sleep  ::bow::

Offline Ragwing

• Rooster
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 02:59:27 AM »
Have a good rest while your aircraft figures out how close to that 747 it can fly to save fuel.
I sure hope Microsoft does not intend to help write this software.

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 03:26:41 AM »
any idea on how it works G-man or is it magic to you?

No friggin clue---I just put the airport name in some box thingy and it ells me which way to go..  ::whistle:: ::whistle::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 04:33:16 AM »
No friggin clue---I just put the airport name in some box thingy and it ells me which way to go..  ::whistle:: ::whistle::

Whoa there big fella,

Boy you guys have sure gone High-Tech.   ::silly::

All I get to do is head in one direction until the spotter flails his arms ands screams like a teenaged girl at a helicopter convention...   ::whistle::

::whistle::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 11:27:55 AM »
ah so you use the *bat* technique then Mom. fly eyes closed and  ears open  ::rofl::

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 12:05:08 PM »
Ragwing I emailed ICAO about Performance Based Navigation (PBN) they sent me a email address and a adobe attachment about it, looks like some heavy reading ahead of me.