Author Topic: Jet Set Ruins  (Read 3852 times)

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
Jet Set Ruins
« on: January 11, 2009, 03:48:38 PM »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/telstar/sets/32971/show/

This looks like the photos were taken at both Mojave airport in California and Monathan Air Force Base in Arizona.
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
Re: Jet Set Ruins
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 05:30:33 PM »
T'is a horrible place, where airplanes go to die  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( I'm sure those who destroy them are destined to burn in that speacial hell.
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 07:10:33 PM »
Yes, it's horrible to think what will ultimatley happen to these planes....  ::sick::

BUT, it still would be awesome to walk around there for a day or two!!!  :)
...you now breathe in some history, wonder were all those planes were, and so on.....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 01:46:52 PM »
one way to think about it is that although they are getting scrapped they will live on for ever by being used in other aircraft through recycling parts.
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 01:03:35 AM »
one way to think about it is that although they are getting scrapped they will live on for ever by being used in other aircraft through recycling parts.

That still doesn't ease the pain of seeing old DC-3's or Lodestars getting ready for the smelter.  :'( :'( :'(
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline cotejy

• Rooster
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 04:35:36 PM »
They have to die one way or the other. This is sad to watch but certainly the best way to die for an airplane. Look like most of those made it to retirement safely without major injuries.  ::bow:: They can lay there proudly and share some memories with their fellow retired friends.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 07:30:41 PM »
Yeah, they must talk during the cool nights and share their stories.   ;)

They still are alive, in a way -- sometimes not with good results.  A very accomplished older pilot/mechanic was working at a well-known boneyard, doing the salvage work, and the gear collapsed on the 747 they were under.  He died a few days later and it was sure sad;  people said he was still making flying jokes even while in great pain.

It changed my view of those quiet hulks as being less than airplanes anymore....  and it seemed ironic to me that after decades of hairy flying, such a highly respected guy got hurt on the ground.   :'(

Roswell, NM, is another airport with a crowd of silent airliners parked everywhere.  I had never been in there until last year, and was surprised at the hundreds of them, many of them recent additions, still in their bright airline paint, baking in the desert sun.

|:)\
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 11:40:32 PM »
I hated seeing the Pan Am bird as well as the L-1011 #2 engine inlet.

L-1011 is my favorite aircraft, and fair chance I might not see one flying again.  I haven't seen one flying since the last time I rode on a Delta one, and that was long ago.  With ATA shutting down, chances of seeing one domestically now are slim to none, and there can't be many flying internationally either.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"