Author Topic: Anyone know how to remove the taillight of a '06 Lancer sedan? (No Joke)  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
I know this sounds like a joke but it isn't and we're not that interested in having to pay for either a mechanic to do it, or a new taillight if I break it trying to get it out.

Here's the story, the inner taillight bulb burned out but the manual just says: "Take the screw out and remove the taillight assembly." The first problem is that there are two screws but the text specifically speaks of just one (and that's not the only sign that the manual was translated poorly), the second problem is that even with both screws out there is clearly something holding the outer side fixed and this is even visible on the drawing of the light assembly seen from the back showing where the light bulbs are. There are two plastic or rubber cones/plugs, one on the top and one at the bottom and the one at the bottom is clearly holding the assembly fixed to the bodywork while the upper one is loose, or at least it can move a bit in and out as far as the bodywork allows the light assembly to move. My brother checked the inside of the trunk, even removing the liner which clearly wasn't designed to be easily removed but there was no bodyshell opening to release the plug and there's no grip to get the light assembly pulled straight back which might get the plug to release.  Any ideas?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci