Author Topic: Who Farted?  (Read 2582 times)

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
Who Farted?
« on: December 13, 2008, 11:25:21 PM »
I was saving this for the caption contest--but really the picture does not need captions:  ::whistle:: ::whistle:: ::whistle::

Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
Re: Who Farted?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 11:30:07 PM »
thougth they where asking who was the clown in the monkey suit....G-man  ::whistle:: ::whistle::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
Re: Who Farted?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 07:22:56 PM »
So I was discussing the issue of "absenteeism" with Soccermom last night, and thought this might be the perfect thread to draw some of our resident "experts' back the CW.

We had our xmas party last night--to which I took my fart machine--unfortunately, I dropped and broke it though. But it got me thinking about farts, and upon researching the issue, I found a similar problem posted on the Internet. Here is the question:

If one farts, do you loose or gain weight?

Here are some issues to ponder..

You expel a gas, thus loosing mass, but as its lighter than air..

During the release, intentional or otherwise, we are venting a gas which is compressed. It will therefore occupy a smaller volume that when in free air and will therefore be denser than methane at atmospheric pressure.

To discover how the weight of the body containing this gas is changed we would need to know the composition of the vented gas, exactly how much it was compressed and the ambient density of the air surrounding the body.

And while all this is going on the body emitting the gas may be breathing - although in general the breath is held during venting and released shortly after (in the northern hemisphere at least). Breathing changes the displacement of the body and hence changes the buoyancy.

So.. Baradium, Frank--What say you??  ::whistle::
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 07:24:33 PM by G-man »
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........