Author Topic: Any MS Windows experts here? Security Certificate problems  (Read 5143 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Any MS Windows experts here? Security Certificate problems
« on: October 31, 2008, 03:09:03 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone knows why several certificates, includes one used to login to Microsoft's own Hotmail, isn't accepted? Also AOPA's site shows errors and I'd like to know if there's a problem before I give my card-details to buy a membership.

Here's the error-text given when I try to log in to hotmail:
The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate
authority
The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not yet valid.
Isn't that just beautiful that Microsoft says it doesn't trust itself? :D

I use Windows XP Pro SP3 UK language version with the latest Explorer installed (I actually preferred the old layout but since they say it can't be updated with the latest data security systems then I felt I need to update). Anti-virus and software firewall is by Kaspersky Internet Security (which did better than AVG and Zone Alarm did once I did get a virus) and hardware firewall is by a Linksys Broadwall Firewall Router model BEFSX41.

And while on the topic of Windows, then any idea how many times I have to download and install the same security update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)? I've done it at least 20 times now but after less than 1 minute after it says installed then there is that little yellow shield again in my bottom menu telling me there's an update ready. Is that perhaps connected to the above mentioned problem?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
Re: Any MS Windows experts here? Security Certificate problems
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 10:02:09 AM »
You said you use Internet Explorer, try using Mozilla Firefox,Opera or Avant,although there's some sites that don't work in them,but AOPA and Hotmail should work.
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 04:23:55 AM »
Well I got 100+ links I'd need to re-organize and several sites I visit wouldn't be displayed correctly so that's not that good an idea. I'd rather just try to get figured out why IE says it doesn't trust Hotmail when they're from the same company. There has to be a problem there somewhere.

I did find a solution to get the continued update problem fixed though.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 04:45:31 AM »
Well I got 100+ links I'd need to re-organize and several sites I visit wouldn't be displayed correctly so that's not that good an idea.

You can import all of your links to firefox...
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 04:30:39 PM »
Maybe so, but I know from reading comments on several sites that Firefox doesn't display all sites correctly so I'll just stick with the old IE, besides, Microsoft's browser should not say Microsoft's own site is untrusted.
Another reason to stick with the old IE is that my new psu didn't turn out to be the cause but the symptom of my computer problems, it now won't boot correctly, no power led on, no video signal ever etc. so my brother said it's probably the motherboard that's damaged, and it's saturday evening and no stores are open now until monday, oh happy days! :(

And without a modern computer I can't join the chat so I'll have to miss out on a lot of great chat (again) :(

Hopefully see you monday evening  ::wave::
Frank

P.S. In case you haven't figured it out, I'm using another computer, more precisely, my first IBM-Type PC (I've used C64s and Amigas since the early 80's) which I got back in 1998 and it's still running (except the soundcard which had to be replaced) but it can't handle much else in modern technology so chatting and websurfing is out except for this message.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 05:43:37 PM »
my new psu---symptom ---computer problems--won't boot---power led---video signal---motherboard---IBM-Type PC---C64s--Amigas---soundcards---websurfing? ? ? ? ? :(

Can't help ya Franky--Its all greek to me.. I just normally hit the O-N --- O-F-F switch and it works.

And without a modern computer I can't join the chat so I'll have to miss out on a lot of great chat (again) :(

Think of all the extra time you have to go walking and get a gyro    ::whistle:: ::whistle::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 07:46:24 PM »
Gee, G-Man, I think we're seeing a TREND here......

[Insert picture of heli-man munching on yummy gyro...]

:D

:D
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 10:43:49 PM »
my new psu---symptom ---computer problems--won't boot---power led---video signal---motherboard---IBM-Type PC---C64s--Amigas---soundcards---websurfing? ? ? ? ? :(

Can't help ya Franky--Its all greek to me.. I just normally hit the O-N --- O-F-F switch and it works.

Think of all the extra time you have to go walking and get a gyro    ::whistle:: ::whistle::

Oh...!  G-man!  <GROAN!>   ::sick::
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline AirScorp

• Rooster
  • Nick
    • Me on myspace
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 02:01:08 PM »

Well, since I'm greek   ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl::
Yup, I'm still here!

Frank, get Firefox!

You'll need 5 mins for the download and install, another two to get your bookmarks (as easy as clicking File-->Import) and 15 minutes to setup Flash and Macromedia from adobe.com
Maybe a couple of days of getting used to it and some fun time to check out extensions. You won't go back to IE. I've been there myself and it was an instant keeper for me 3 years ago when a friend introduced me to it.  I even have a firefox decal on my bass case  ::loony::

Things to consider:
-It's not Microsoft (duh)
-It gets updated every  once in a while so it's always top-notch
- 98% (that's a made-up figure) of all internet transmitted baddies (worms, diallers, and stuff) are made for IE, just because the majority of people just don't care to use something else.
-You can always use IE for the pages that don't work (VAST minority, maybe 1 in a thousand). And there are extensions that do even that switch for you.
-I told you so  ::silly::

It's all Greek to me!

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 03:03:22 PM »
ARRRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOT GYROS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!  ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 10:51:07 PM »
Well the current version need windows 2000 or higher so I can't test it out on this old machine, unless oldversion.com has an older variant that works with windows 98. I also hope the IE links are kept in the same order as I saved them since that's pretty important for me.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 04:29:28 AM »
Ok, I tried Firefox 2.0 on the old machine and some of the certificate warnings weren't there (I've also just now read that there seem to be some issues with this from IE7 due to it's own systems and not the servers you're trying to contact). One thing however is that Firefox also has tabs like IE7 and a whole new window with all downloads instead of how IE handles downloads with seperate windows listed in the bottom taskbar. Is there any mods one can do to Firefox so I can get rid of those tabs and that integrated window? I'm strictly interested in the safety for my visacard data when I occasionally order things from abroad I can't get here, other than that then IE6's userinterface is perfect for me while the user-interface of IE7 and FF is just confusing, overly complex and generally a lot worse in use for me than IE6 which was perfect, logical and easy for me to use. And as some know then I'm really tired of all things in the modern times that are more advanced but also more complex and illogical more time consuming to use, car interior design is a great example of this.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 09:47:49 AM »
And as some know then I'm really tired of all things in the modern times that are more advanced but also more complex and illogical more time consuming to use

Gee, Frank.  You sound fully integrated into the 21st century compared to my mom and dad.  They only now have decided to get cell phones for themselves, but they refuse to use them except in emergency!  The only reason they got the cells is because payphones are disappearing very quickly in the USA.

Mom and Dad do have a computer, but they are not connected to the internet and refuse to do so.  At their age (70), they say its just too much stuff for them to learn and they are wary of all the pitfalls.

You should count your blessings, my friend!   ::bow::

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 09:50:22 AM »
mobile/cell phones are a curse of the modern world all ive had from it is bad news and grieff.  ::complaining:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 01:40:49 PM by Oddball »
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 11:11:37 PM »
I guess I wasn't quite as clear as to what I meant. I meant that the browser now has menus changed in a way that takes me a lot more time and more trouble to use the functions I use a lot. When searching for more info on IE6+7 and Firefox several people reviewed that the tabs were so much easier to use for fast navigation, that is the dimetrical opposite of how I see it, for me the changes in user interface they made is harder and more difficult to use.

So basically, can someone tell me just how much more exposed my security is if I go back to IE6 instead of keeping IE7 or going to FF which both have menus set up in a way that is more complicated and in the way for the main things I use the browser for.

Frank

P.S. I only got a cell-phone a few months ago. With just my mom and my brother to talk to I didn't need one, but with the regular emergencyroom visits/hospital stays for our mom I needed to have a way to keep in touch with my brother also when I wasn't at home. Oh man, all the times I had to drove back home to get something for my mom the hospital didn't have that saved me several drives back and fourth when I couldn't it with the initial directions.
— Leonardo da Vinci