Author Topic: Flight training update  (Read 17549 times)

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
Re: Flight training update
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2009, 05:56:53 PM »
Well, I took the Private written today. Didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but also not as badly as I had feared.

I got an 83. Now, I'm gonna read Stick and Rudder a couple times, then go over the Practical and Oral study guides, concentrating
on those areas where I didn't do so well on the test. Probably weather, more than anything else.

Ahhhh the dreaded 83---look at it this way---13% wasted effort. In reality 20 years from now---no-one will care what grade you got. (I had 8% wasted effort on mine if I remember correctly..  ::whistle:: ::whistle:: )
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 07:27:42 PM »
Earlier this week, I did my three full-stops at LIT, since I was required to do 'em solo. The last one ended with me taxiing over to the Flight Deck
for lunch with Mrs S and Zoe. That was a good thing, because I had to call clearance delivery and go through all the steps needed to start from
zero at a controlled airport.

Today I just did some pattern work, and had my first encounter with wind shear. Oy... interesting stuff, that.
After I got back on the ground the first time and settled down, I went again just to be able to say I didn't punk out.

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 07:42:44 PM »
I did my three full-stops at LIT,

Cool.. Kinda fun huh?

However--that is a mighty large airport to be doing your 3 solo towered landings.. Was there nothing a little closer that is a little less intimidating?? Having said that, I used to go to OAK for a bunch of my solos, and even flew through SFO airspace, but was not allowed to land as a student due to it being one of the "dirty dozen".
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 09:01:05 PM »
Cool deal, Spacer!!    ::bow::

Way to go.  Fun, eh??   :D

Glad you're having fun...   |:)\
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 09:21:02 PM »
I did my three full-stops at LIT,

Cool.. Kinda fun huh?

However--that is a mighty large airport to be doing your 3 solo towered landings.. Was there nothing a little closer that is a little less intimidating?? Having said that, I used to go to OAK for a bunch of my solos, and even flew through SFO airspace, but was not allowed to land as a student due to it being one of the "dirty dozen".

Nothing closer, as LIT is just across the river. I think the closest otherwise is Hot Springs.
Fortunately, I worked as a mechanic at LIT for a while, and was pretty familiar with the place.

Offline cotejy

• Rooster
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2009, 09:36:46 PM »
Earlier this week, I did my three full-stops at LIT, since I was required to do 'em solo.

::bow:: Cool! I love to read this story of your ongoing training. It revive some of my own memories...

When I was in training, I flew in a small airport 25 miles from a desolated international airport (YMX). This airport was a stupid lost of tax payers money. 2 runways strips 200 feets wide, 12000 feets long. Airport with all top of the line technologies. Today, there are something like 10 landings and takeoff per day (and I'm generous). Mostly done by Fedex. Stupids politicians.

But such a good place for us to take our first lessons on controled airspace. The controlers were always happy to see a 150 or 172 comming for touch and go. They sat there with all this technologies and waiting for something to happend. On my first night flight, we went there and they gave me the "christmass tree". I felt like flying a 747 or something like that.

I remember doing a touch and go, climbing to 1000 AGL, and if I wanted to, I could have gone down and land with what left of runway. Sad lost of tax payers money, sad lost of farmers lands... If you ever need an easyer place for controled airspace, I recommand http://maps.google.ca/maps?near=cymx&q=google+map+ymx&f=p&rl=1&ie=UTF8&ll=45.686516,-74.032059&spn=0.084783,0.15295&t=h&z=13

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 10:36:47 PM »
That thing is huge..

When I flew for US Fish and Wildlife, I worked out of here: Zoom out a little bit and look South East, and you will see the longest runway I ever hovered over..(not allowed to touch skids down..). Somewhere, I have pictures of controlled burns I lit off all around the runway and the two pads. They are at home---I will try to dig them out.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=titusville,+fl&sll=45.688015,-74.010172&sspn=0.031238,0.076904&ie=UTF8&ll=28.640553,-80.730487&spn=0.001226,0.002403&t=h&z=19

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2009, 03:01:19 AM »
NASA Shuttle landing strip?  Cool!
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2009, 08:14:45 PM »
We've been dancing around, trying to get the last few requirements in (3 hour dual night cross-country, 1.3 hours of hood time remaining) before we start my
pre-checkride prep. Feels like forever, but given the realities of life and family, I guess I can't really be too upset.

Even when we can't schedule a dual flight, I've been taking the Cherokee up for a little while every week or so just to keep the cobwebs off.
Today, being my birthday, my lovely wife and Zoe agreed to go up with me (with my instructor, of course) on a flight. This time, we left the Cherokee on the ramp
and took the recently repaired (tornado wrecked) Cessna 172 to Saline County Regional, a little ways southwest of LIT.
I started out in Skyhawks before I moved to my current FBO, but have been spoiled by the Cherokee's manners (especially in a crosswind), so I felt a little awkward
in the Cessna at first. For one thing, the controls feel pretty darned light, especially in roll, though the rate doesn't seem to be that much different. She also seemed
to need a bit more rudder than the Cherokee, so I found as I wallowed through a couple of turns.

On our return to ORK, we found the wind favoring 23, but I went ahead and entered the pattern for 17, to try my hand at a crosswind with my instructor on board.
The first one would have been salvageable, according to Mike, but I went around anyway (I tend to be a lot more cautious with my wife and kid in back). While I waited
to gain a little altitude before bringing the flaps in a notch, I quickly found out why doing that with a heavy plane was a bad idea. We weren't climbing. AT ALL.
Flaps back in, pushing on the throttle and watching the speed, we got Vx and eased the flaps in (didn't care for the non-detent electric flaps... not at all, I was longing for the lever in
the Cherokee) and got back to pattern altitude.
The next landing was fine, though not the smoothest I've done, but Mike told me to just practice those crosswind landings in the Cessna (and that it would probably improve my
Cherokee flying) and signed me off for solo in the 172.

So, work on rudder skills. Practice crosswind landings.  My altitude holding stayed well within limits, even while we were sight-seeing over Little Rock, and I was able to find my way
around well, satisfying because I was afraid the GPS in the Cherokee was spoiling me. In the Cessna, I was looking outside the cockpit a lot more, and found the Saline County airport
just fine.

I enjoyed the view downward, but being a tall, all-torso kinda guy, my eyes were right at the wing roots. While there was plenty of room in the airplane for us, my view to the side was pretty well blocked, forcing me to lean forward against the non-reel shoulder belt to avoid rocking the airplane too much for my rear seat pax.

Mrs S and Zoe enjoyed the flight immensely, and when we were exiting the plane on the ramp, Zoe was trying to clamber back in, saying "Again!"

::cowboy::

All in all, a good flight.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2009, 04:00:45 PM »
Alright!!!  Way to go Spacer!  Ya done good, mister:  Pleased the missus and hooked your daughter on airplanes!  Hehe.   |:)\

Can't have a family outing that gets any better than this.

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2009, 03:20:17 AM »
Your post brings back a lot of nice memories.  It's so neat to hear how much you enjoy flying....  that's great!   |:)\

Keep us all posted....  we are a fortunate group I think, and you're even more fortunate when you take your family up and share the enjoyment.

Way to go!!   ::bow::

:)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2009, 02:19:34 AM »
Oooooh-Kay.

How much can the instructor's presence mess up a student's performance, anyway? I just took the 172 up for a couple circuits after work, and
the Cessna let me know why people love to fly 'em so much. All my turns, my approaches, and my landings were spot-on, and the only real difference
between today and the last flight was the fact that I was alone in the plane... well, there's less weight I guess.

Heck. It's 5 bucks cheaper per hour... I'll have to seriously consider finishing up in it. The Cherokee is pretty popular for folks wanting to take trips,
so it's frequently gone when I'm able to spare time for training.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2009, 07:23:40 AM »
Spacer, your post about the family flight reminds me of the last time I had my family with me on a trip.  My goodness!  It's been two years since this pic was taken!   :o 

I need to get another flying job where my family will get invited along...   ::banghead::
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall