Author Topic: Flight training update  (Read 17548 times)

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
Flight training update
« on: October 14, 2008, 07:16:03 PM »
Today, after 7 full stop landings (and, of course, the same number of takeoffs), my instructor advised me that
for my next lesson (Thursday) I should bring a shirt that I don't mind cutting up.

Actually, he told me I could solo today if I wanted, but I really like this shirt... and felt I'd be more comfortable with
one more lesson under my belt.

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
Re: Flight training update
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 07:30:37 PM »
well done mate here's to your solo  |:)\ ::drinking:: ::drinking::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline cotejy

• Rooster
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 07:53:49 PM »
congrad and have fun on your first solo!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 08:07:27 PM »
Congratulations and as said: Have Fun |:)\

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 12:00:29 AM »
Sounds good!!   :D

Way to go!   |:)\

|:)\
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 01:23:11 AM »
Thanks, all. My better half is planning to take the day off so she can be at the airport.
No pressure, right?  ::sweat::

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 07:02:34 PM »
02010KT 4SM -RA BR BKN007

:(

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 12:44:26 AM »
This is why I would never tell a student to expect to solo on the next lesson.  Too many variables that can affect a lesson.  In your case the weather was crappy.  In other cases it might be that the winds were ok for dual instruction, but too high for me to consider soloing a student.  Still other cases where the student just had a bad day and it would have to wait til the next lesson.

Sorry to hear your expectations were dashed, Spacer.  Don't worry about it.  It'll happen sooner or later.  Just enjoy all the minutes you are in the air, period.   |:)\

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 01:19:15 AM »
we'll keep our fingers crossed for you buddy!

you should be fine (as long as Chuck wasn't your instructor).....  :o ;)

btw
Did you change your forum name?
I don't even know how you do that.....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 02:16:33 AM »
we'll keep our fingers crossed for you buddy!

you should be fine (as long as Chuck wasn't your instructor).....  :o ;)

btw
Did you change your forum name?
I don't even know how you do that.....
Yes, it took me a few seconds before I figured out who it was too since I couldn't understand that this "new" name already had 400+ posts, and the avatar did look familiar, then I saw the profile and saw the messenger-name and homepage and then it was the 25-ear coin fell (danish expression, and we just here the first gave up on the 25-ear coin so now a 50 ear, 0.50 crown is the smallest currency, which is about 10 US cent atm).

I seem to recognize a few things of the cryptic line above to indicate it's an avaition weather report right? And by the smilie then it looks like bad weather, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be a good flight.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Ragwing

• Rooster
Flight training update - From an FAA e-mail
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 12:56:51 PM »
No matter how many times you beat it into somebody's head, they will surprise you.

From an FAA e-mail:
How often have you watched as your student accomplished a first solo, or set out on the first solo cross country flight? The all alone feeling you may have experienced is a part of being a CFI at that moment. There's no need to feel alone with the questions and problems you face as a CFI the rest of the time, that's what CFI Workshops are for. Meet with your colleagues, young and old, to share what you know and learn from others.   

An example is the story of "A load of Anvils" which was shared with me by a CFI that I know. As a young flight instructor, this fellow watched his student became a small speck on the horizon as he departed on his first solo cross country flight. A lonely feeling crept over the instructor as he watched. He thought "did I remember to tell him everything." Later in the afternoon the student’s Cessna 172 landed and taxied to the ramp.  It seemed to be a bit tail low. As his student tied the aircraft down, the instructor approached to ask how the flight had gone. The student replied "Couldn't have been better. Look at what I found at the flea market near the airport." Curious, the instructor peered into the baggage compartment and saw an anvil appropriately tied down. "How'd she fly for you" the instructor asked. The student replied somewhat unconcerned "Really wanted to climb… too bad they only had one anvil for sale."  The instructor resolved to never again allow his students to solo before they understood the principles of weight and balance.  Think of the safety benefit if the instructor had learned this from one of his fellow instructors at the CFI Workshop instead of from his experience that day!

This leaves me wondering,
Where was Chuck?

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 08:56:04 PM »
Anvils... lol.

Yeah. He'd actually told me I could solo on Tuesday if I wanted, but I kinda pushed it off to the next lesson, which was how I knew
we had it planned for yesterday.

As for the name change, I picked up a stalker somewhere along the way, and he evidently didn't know about this forum yet, so I pre-emptively
requested the name change from velo to spacer. I really shouldn't use the same name for politics *and* aviation..

Offline Ragwing

• Rooster
Solo
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 12:26:30 AM »
He'd actually told me I could solo on Tuesday if I wanted
Spacer,
Have the time of your life!  You know how to fly, so take off and enjoy!!
After this, you will be refining your habits.
When I travel, I rent an airplane or helicopter for an hour or two and listen to each instructor as I sight see. 
From each instructor, I find something that they have that I like better and incorporate it.

Yes sir ree, we had better not hear about your instructor finding anything from a flee market when you get back.   
But that anvil followed me home, can I keep it?::whistle::

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
I done did it!
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 07:57:45 PM »
Flew out to a nearby airport, did two landings there, and came back to ORK.
Once we were on the ground, he stepped out of the airplane, signed me
off, and gave me
the lighter-airplane speech, then I was off.
Yep, took off like she was allergic to asphalt, and I floated it just a touch on the
first landing. Still was able to turn off midfield, though.
Second landing was a great approach, but I didn't quite flare as much as I should have.
Still a good landing, according to my CFI.
Third landing, I had it nailed. The air started getting a bit bumpy, enough for him to
notice from the ground, but he thought I did a fine job of riding it out and I made
a textbook landing.
Funny thing, I thought I'd be a bundle of nerves alone in the plane, but I was just
fine.
As I pulled off the runway for the last time, Mike told me I could either go back out
and fly some more, or park it. I think I'd already mentally ended the flight, and
I came off the flight high a bit jittery, so I brought her in.

A few pictures and scissor-strokes later, and I was leaving the FBO with a silly smile
on my face and a draft on my back.

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 08:40:46 PM »
Congrats DOG!!!! First solo is always so memorable.  There's alot of hard work, but you'll have that upbeat feeling for a long time afterwards!

BEER DOUSING AND STRIPPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking::
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 12:05:36 AM by FlyboyGil »
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES