Author Topic: ILS  (Read 34394 times)

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
Re: ILS
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2006, 04:34:50 PM »
I most definitely agree with having an HSI if possible.  Great piece of gear!

Next to the flexibility of the G-1000 type of electronic displays, in the "steam-guage" environment you can't beat having an HSI!  If I were outfitting a plane, I'd consider it, and a backup attitude indicator such as the one available in the Sporty's catalog would be prime panel upgrades :) !

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?Product_ID=7439&DID=19
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2006, 08:36:06 PM »
Speaking of radio gear....  for Instrument Flying, and conventional VFR work for that matter, I carry a handheld and can hook it up to the external antennae via a BNC connector.  Lots of people use ICOM brand, though I have found that I have more "bang for the buck" via my Sporty's SP-200, which gives me Comm and nav with VOR CDI "needle" capacity too.  I haven't had to use it in flight yet, thank goodness, but it's nice to know it's there.

Just another two-cents worth I thought I'd toss in

I also carry a hand held Comm radio.  Haven't used it in the air yet, but did use it on the ground once.  Had a loose wire between my radio and the headphone jacks.  Fortunately it manifested itself on the ground, I had to use the handheld to tell the tower I was canceling take-off and taxiing to my mechanics.

I bought my handheld back when I was flying the ultralight.  Considered it my most important piece of safty equipment aside from the seat belt.

Phil

Offline snader

• aircraftmech
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2007, 08:06:39 AM »
I wrote a long story about this issue, if u really want to know go here: http://www.aircraftmech.com/avio.html

Arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, u may win but u are still retarded.