Author Topic: Flight Sim  (Read 26313 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: Flight Sim
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2006, 02:04:43 PM »
Oh yeah I forgot, about the question for Ted, then doesn't the red/white refer to the correct glide-path shown by the lights next to the runway that some large airports have? (not sure what the name is, and there are two variants, one with 1 row of lights and one with 4 rows I think, and I think that last one is the one that's refferred to above).

I did the landing-approach again and this time I kept up around 60-70 kts and while I still descended at 1000 fpm then I had enough air-speed to flare before stalling so the landing didn't overstress the plane or made it bounce (I fly with all factors on including crashes).

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

fireflyr

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2006, 04:40:13 PM »

I love wheel landing taildraggers--in the 185, I fly final at 65 Kts with 20 degrees flaps and use power to stop the descent at touchdown, then off the power, wheel full forward to kill airspeed, add brakes, let the tail settle and Voila, a perfect lading in under 650 feet---for short field, it's full flaps and 50 Kts over the fence, power off in the (short) flare, and it will stop in under 400 feet.  Gads, I can hardly wait for the rain to stop so I can go flying!!!!  (25 rainy days this month--I'm getting moss on the north side of my butt) :D

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2006, 04:51:00 PM »
Carry a little power in the 182 until you're almost on the runway.  The nose is so heavy that if you don't have power on, it's hard to keep in the air.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2006, 05:19:31 PM »
All this talk about short field landings reminds me of some words of wisdom imparted to me by a bush pilot while I was in Oshkosh, WI:

1) Every landing is a controlled crash… the wing has to stall in order for it to stop flying. It’s the height above the ground that dictates when it’s a landing or an arrival.

2) For a good pilot it’s not the getting in and landing that posses the problem… it’s being able to get back out afterwards...( take off distances are generally where an airplane uses most the runway.. especially when heavy) 

Question  Ted_Stryker : What does White over Red mean?????  (Got asked this on my commercial check ride)   ;D ;D

Heheh... White over red means your on glide slope.... inverted! :)  Great check ride question!  ;D
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2006, 05:29:52 PM »
And, if you find yourself in that position, right yourself quick before there are any witnesses.

There's a DE in Montana that was busted all the way down to private for flying a traffic pattern inverted.  It didn't take him long to get all his ratings back.

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2006, 05:32:08 PM »
Oh yeah I forgot, about the question for Ted, then doesn't the red/white refer to the correct glide-path shown by the lights next to the runway that some large airports have? (not sure what the name is, and there are two variants, one with 1 row of lights and one with 4 rows I think, and I think that last one is the one that's refferred to above).

I did the landing-approach again and this time I kept up around 60-70 kts and while I still descended at 1000 fpm then I had enough air-speed to flare before stalling so the landing didn't overstress the plane or made it bounce (I fly with all factors on including crashes).

Frank

I think you may be thinking of the PAPI lighting system, which has a single row of lights.  They basically do the same thing as the VASI lighting system but represent it differently.  In a PAPI  with, for example, four lights, you want it to be an even split with half of them red, the other half white, and that means you are on glide slope.  You can actually see them change, and they offer more precision than VASI as a result.  Let's say you are on approach and you seen the PAPI with all white showing.  As you cut power back and start descending lower, you should see the first PAPI light on the right side go from white to red, then the second, etc.  The trick is to use that as a guide in adjusting your approach to keep the number of white and red ones equal.  If you see more red than white you are drifting lower than the glide slope and know to add some power back in to correct it.  A normal approach is a 3 degree descent angle.

From the ground, a PAPI system looks like a bar of floodlights, wheras a VASI looks like lights enclosed in orange boxes with filter lenses built into the front of the boxes.

For a better understanding of airport lighting systems, here is a link that is of interest describing these nifty visual aids... including the ALS (approach lighting system).  This is straight out of the AIM (Airman's Information Manual).

http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/AIM/Chap2/aim0201.html
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2006, 05:34:34 PM »
And, if you find yourself in that position, right yourself quick before there are any witnesses.

There's a DE in Montana that was busted all the way down to private for flying a traffic pattern inverted.  It didn't take him long to get all his ratings back.

I remember there was an airshow performer that had a landing gear system on the top side of his plane too, and would actually land the thing upside down on purpose!  Now there's a pucker factor for you! :)

Oh... it can also mean one is really high above GS without being inverted on some systems... I don't think they use that much anymore, but it is in the AIM.

http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/AIM/Chap2/aim0201.html

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2006, 07:06:12 PM »
Ted, do you keep a copy of the regs at your computer?   ;D

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2006, 07:10:50 PM »
Ted, do you keep a copy of the regs at your computer?   ;D

Moi?  Nah... I'm just that good!  ;D  (If you believe that I've got some land about five miles east of Miami I'd like to interest you in  ;D  )

Gotta love the Internet nowadays  :D

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2006, 01:02:47 PM »
You want realistic, fly X-plane.  If you want eye candy, fly MSFS.  ;D

X-plane will actually do an honest-to-god Vmc roll in a twin, something that MSFS doesn't even come close too.  You can spin and slip in X-plane, and the aircraft respond as they do in the real world. 

XPlane is actually much better than MSFS. But I noticed that it often has old information about airports.
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2006, 05:22:59 PM »
I actually saw one place that Piper had X-Plane versions of their planes for download on their site once, not big giant downloads but still interesting.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2006, 10:57:39 PM »
I actually saw one place that Piper had X-Plane versions of their planes for download on their site once, not big giant downloads but still interesting.
Frank

XPlane is really good. at least I like it much better that MSFS, or - at least - that is what I can tell you about it, considered that I used the two for a very short time...Actually I had some some sacred problem during simulation. I've never been able to take off properly. and if I ever did, the flight went quite short. at the end I disinstalled the game and stopped trying. I was having much more fun in reality and I was quite embarassed seeing my bro, who doesn't fly, having no problem with big planes, and me - on the contrary - stalling after T/O or in base. it was quite frustrating!!!!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2006, 11:25:01 PM »
Consider yourself lucky, I'd rather fly in real life too, but I can't.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2006, 01:08:20 PM »
Consider yourself lucky, I'd rather fly in real life too, but I can't.
Frank

Sorry I reply so late, just noticed. than, my dear, a big big good luck, hoping you will be able soon to do it also in real life!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2006, 01:14:12 PM »
Np at all, and don't be sorry, I'm not one that gets sad or envy when good things happend to good people, I just sometimes wish I could be with them, but never instead of them so no worries at all :)

Actually I should give an apology since it could be recieved a bit negatively but that wasn't what I wanted. Take care and have fun :)
Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci