Author Topic: Flight Sim  (Read 26303 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: Flight Sim
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2006, 05:04:58 PM »
Thank you very much for the info :)

I tried flying with a Logitech Force 3D joystick but I didn't really think it felt useful or realistic in any way but of course I only had 1 hours flight with just some 15 minutes with the hand on the yoke and it was a nice smooth calm flight but still.

I don't suppose any real pilotes have something to say on how the feedback you get in the yoke is compared to sims? Or even just in general how it feels.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 03:23:48 AM »
I found that force feedback sticks were more useful in combat games.  In the regular flying sims, I don't know that it matters that much.  You just need something with resistance so you don't go stop to stop too easily.  When you're really flying, you don't get too much resistance from the control surfaces, unless you're doing full deflections at high airspeeds (not recommended).
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Inept

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 06:43:00 PM »
When you're really flying, you don't get too much resistance from the control surfaces, unless you're doing full deflections at high airspeeds (not recommended).

Or just horribly out of trim    :-[

Offline wbarnhill

• CAVU but no $ to fly.
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 10:34:49 PM »
When you're really flying, you don't get too much resistance from the control surfaces, unless you're doing full deflections at high airspeeds (not recommended).

Or just horribly out of trim    :-[

hehehehe.  Reminds me of flying right seat in a friend's Comanche.  She kept forgetting that I had no access to the electronic trim... definitely counted as exercise :D

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 06:40:54 PM »
Thank you very much for the info :)

I tried flying with a Logitech Force 3D joystick but I didn't really think it felt useful or realistic in any way but of course I only had 1 hours flight with just some 15 minutes with the hand on the yoke and it was a nice smooth calm flight but still.

I don't suppose any real pilotes have something to say on how the feedback you get in the yoke is compared to sims? Or even just in general how it feels.

Frank

Even counting for trimming up well, the joystick or yoke on a sim rarely gives you an accurate representation of the way things feel for a number of reasons...

1) The physics simulated by a given flight simulator program, and how it translates to the controller is not necessarily optimal depending on model of controller, version of program, etc.

2) The cheaper the control, the less likely it will provide a proper sensory feedback.  In the flight simulator business, this accurracy of feedback is referred to as "fidelity", just as with audio buffs calling fidelity the realistic representation of recorded or channeled music to real-life.

3) Unless you go with a true, full motion, simulator (and even then it's not completely accurate on sensation), you're not going to feel the g-forces, which all add up to the training of the brain via tactical inputs in a simulated environment.

Multi-million dollar simulators with full motion come extremely close to the real thing... as one might expect... but even then, while it can simulate g-forces (via axis rotation), it can't do centrifugal forces.... well... unless you put that simulator on the front end of the NASA Centrifuge trainer :)

When it comes right down to it.... until we get a Starfleet Holodeck, it's not likely we will reproduce with great accurracy the experience of flight in the real bird.... though we can come close with sufficient $$$.

By the way... if we all had a Starfleet Holodeck in our homes.... I doubt we'd be simulating flight as much as ... ahem... something else! :)
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

fireflyr

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 04:06:14 PM »

",,,AHEM,,,,something else."       :D   HAHA Ted!    I'm trying not to let my too fertile imagination run with that one!

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 04:11:48 PM »

",,,AHEM,,,,something else."       :D   HAHA Ted!    I'm trying not to let my too fertile imagination run with that one!

;D  I suspect that attempts at conservative containment of one's imagination on that one are doomed to failure... for many of us!   ;D ;D ;D
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

fireflyr

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2006, 04:37:57 PM »
Yep, it's too late,

I'm instructing Counselor Troy the finer points of night flying............................
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 04:46:53 PM by fireflyr »

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2006, 04:47:18 PM »

Yep, it's too late,

I'm instructing Counselor Troy the finer points of night fliying .........................................

LOL!  I'm sure she said, "And just why are my foggles completely frosted over?"

(There you go, fireflyr) :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 04:53:29 PM by Ted_Stryker »

fireflyr

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 04:50:02 PM »
SHOOT, I tried to modify that in time---

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2006, 05:08:38 PM »
I'd personally prefer Lieutenant Tasha Yar over Deanna Troi but that's a matter of personal preference I guess.

Ok back on topic, there are several people that have made flightsim cockpits, even a handcrafted fully authentic piece by piece recreation of a Spitfire cockpit and a Airbus A340 cockpit made with authentic parts bought used but has anyone made a copy of the Orbiter cockpit? That wouldn't need that many screens since the windows aren't that big and the whole cockpit/command-deck isn't that big either so it can be in full size.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2006, 06:00:05 PM »
NASA has one.... :D
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

fireflyr

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2006, 09:47:29 AM »
I'd personally prefer Lieutenant Tasha Yar over Deanna Troi but that's a matter of personal preference I guess.

FRANK, You Scandinavian scoundrel, you do love those blonds!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 09:51:37 AM by fireflyr »

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2006, 05:09:37 PM »
Gulf: Ah right lol

Scandinavian Scoundrel, lol that's a good one!

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline FlyingBlind

• Cockerel
  • What goes up, must come down
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2006, 10:43:01 PM »
Frank, where are you from ? Cause Scandinavia Can be : Norway,Sweden,Finland and Denmark.....My bet would be Svensk :P mutta sä voit myös olla Suomalainen!