Author Topic: best weather site ever !!  (Read 7421 times)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
best weather site ever !!
« on: November 08, 2005, 12:02:40 AM »
Check this out guys!
A friend of mine showed me this one a couple of weeks ago.
www.rvproject.com/wx

We call it "Aviation Weather for Dummies" here at the office. It decodes all the METARS into plain English so you don't have to know what "TS-" or "RA+" and all that means.
AND it also shows TFR's will show the weather enroute if you put it in, or all airports within 50nm.
It's really great.
Give it a try! 
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline CDNpilot

• Aviation.ca
Re: best weather site ever !!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 12:56:33 AM »
Nifty.  That has some info that i can use for makeing CYYC a sector for one of my ATC sims.
I hate to wake up and find my co-pilot asleep

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
  • My da*n easy button's broken. Can I borrow yours?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 05:12:16 PM »
i can't check it out here at work. our net thingymajigger blocks access to the page. i'll have to check it out at the house.....
The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time. - Unknown

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 03:08:39 PM »
pretty clever. i checked it out last night. is it worth the 6 bucks a month? is it better than cirrus by duats?
The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time. - Unknown

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 07:44:22 PM »
huh?
6 bucks a month? what do you mean?
I thought it was free...

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 08:15:39 PM »
i thought i saw for the expanded version it was 6 bucks or so. then again, i was on my um, well, i don't remember what number heineken i was on, lol!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 10:29:34 PM »
well I guess I gotta check that out.
We've never used the expanded version. All we do is take a quick look to see if we can get out of the valley (LA) and off we go. And when we are in the woods with our ships, all we can do is "look outside".
There's no METAR's in the dessert of Nevada, or the middle of the Humboldt Toyabe forest...
The beauty of flying helos!! If the weather gets too bad, just land and wait it out!

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 10:50:38 PM »
do you pretty much have carte blanche on landing? i mean, like in the city if there's a field and a Mcdonalds across the street, can you land and get lunch?

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 12:54:54 AM »
not really, but in case of the said thunderstorm or bad weather not seen on the rvproject website
I would get away with it. Would be kind of an emergency...

In LA it's a little tough, but in Nevada they don't care so much about helicopter noise. I have stopped in parking lot's before and got me some fried chicken.
What also seems to help are the letters "FIRE" on the side and belly of my aircraft... ;)

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 03:56:21 AM »
hasoooooo. using the ol' public service card, *ahem* EH? (see! i can speak canadian!) (no not in ref to you mike, lol, just all our brothers and sisters to the north, which incidently is the very first place i flew a plane, a beaver on floats on the Mackenzie river out of a fishing lodge on Great Slave Lake enroute to Hay River! so i have a canadian to thank for my love and wallet deficite! lol)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 04:46:09 AM »
HA HA! . . .you said "beaver" . . .

Those are great planes, aren't they?
Actually, the playing the public use card is ok, but you don't want to abuse it. You can switch it every now and then with playing the "I had sort of an emergency" card...
But I don't want to teach you guys too many bad habits here in this forum, I am a CFI after all
wait! CFII even, I forgot (Heinekens?) . . . I haven't taught IFR in 3 years...

Offline CDNpilot

• Aviation.ca
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2005, 02:35:37 AM »
"EH"  What a jacknife of a word, fits in almost anywere.
I hate to wake up and find my co-pilot asleep