Author Topic: One step at a time!  (Read 8018 times)

Offline AirScorp

• Rooster
  • Nick
    • Me on myspace
One step at a time!
« on: August 09, 2008, 05:11:10 AM »
Well, I'll be gone by Monday the 11th. Army business for a year! Technical support division (mechanics and stuff), boot camp in my hometown (sweet deal)

Anyway, no stress.. Worst thing that happened so far is me getting a haircut! Worst fear, although distant, who's gonna be around when I come back. But anybody would think about that!

For pics, here is a before-after mugshot! How do I look? Everybody round here thinks it makes me look like I'm still in highschool.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 05:22:39 AM by AirScorp »
It's all Greek to me!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: One step at a time!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 06:05:03 AM »
cleaned up nicely!

you're gonna enjoy having short hair !!!
...speaking from experience......         ;)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 07:00:42 AM »
you never know nick you might stay in after your stint.  |:)\
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 07:54:31 AM »
Nick, you cleaned up very nicely!   ::bow:: ::bow:: ::bow::

Don't worry about the high school effect... it'll wear off.

You'd have to have cut off the ponytail anyway if you want to fly for a living, so you might as well get used to it!  Hehe.

I won't bother telling you how many times I've grown my hair (and beard, etc), then cut it off in order to get a decent job.  I finally gave up on it after I realized that I looked silly wearing a long, half-grey head of hair.

Unless you want to play music for a living the rest of your life, stay clean cut.  My $.02   |:)\

RC
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 07:59:22 AM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline AirScorp

• Rooster
  • Nick
    • Me on myspace
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 08:40:59 AM »
It had to go, so it went! No second thoughts about that!
I started growing the long hair once I started shaving after all. Was 16 and the chubby geeky type. It's been 10 years with me having the ponytail, I've done tons of music gigs with it, charmed some ladies, drove away all the rest  :P , it was time for a change!

Don't miss them really, just don't have any idea how I look without them. Feeling is nice though!
It's all Greek to me!

Offline AirScorp

• Rooster
  • Nick
    • Me on myspace
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 06:24:49 PM »
Well guys and sweet gals, I'm through the first two weeks.

Learned how to salute, turn and all the basic stuff. Yesterday we took the vow and did a little march! Now we've got 3 days off till the serious training starts.

Things are pretty easy so far, yelling is within acceptable limits, what else? Oh, my feet ARE KILLING ME! Damn boots! Gonna be a while until I get used to them. Got duck-feet or whatever not having an arch in the foot is called.

Gone through the forum, seems you guys are having fun.

Here's a pic for you, have lots more but I have to scan them and there's no time! Trivia: the guy behind me is also a pilot! (hard to distinguish without the sunglasses but he does have a big watch  ::rofl:: )

Nick off to some beer (and strippers maybe????)!!!!  |:)\
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 06:30:59 PM by AirScorp »
It's all Greek to me!

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 06:45:26 PM »
Heyyy, you're still cute!! 

Even sans all that great hair!!!!!!!!      ::rofl::

::rofl::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 08:16:55 PM »
met any sadistic PTI's yet nick? at least you have good weather unlike the time i did my basic training
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline AirScorp

• Rooster
  • Nick
    • Me on myspace
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 11:29:44 PM »
met any sadistic PTI's yet nick? at least you have good weather unlike the time i did my basic training

By PTIs I'll guess you mean instructors.. No, no sadistic ones. But we sure have a couple that fit the style: Bald head, tall and intimidating!
And most of our squad and platoon leader are girls (fresh out of officer school so actually younger than me).. I SO love being in the tech division!
We do get the occasional yelling but I dare say it feels more good than bad. More of a morale booster than anything else!

We'll see how it goes now that we get to the serious stuff!
It's all Greek to me!

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 11:32:16 PM »
sorry by PTI's i meant Physical Training Instructors.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 04:34:43 AM »
Well Nick, you do look good in that uniform.   |:)\ ::bow::  No need to worry about the yelling.  They do it partly for the sadistic pleasure, but they also do it to get civilians they're trying to turn into soldiers to stop hesitating, stop thinking about why they're doing something, and just do what they're told to do immediately!  In a combat situation that will save your life.

Good Luck!   |:)\

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline AirScorp

• Rooster
  • Nick
    • Me on myspace
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 10:54:27 AM »
Quick update guys!

Again, let me tell you I'm so lucky I'm in the tech division! We have it a lot easier than the rest! Hey, I think there I've seen a movie once that had something similar: A division in the army where they were all sitting and having fun slacking around until an inspection or something happened and they had to stand up as soldiers.. Beers for finding that one!

Still, we work our asses off doing guard and patrol duties as there are so few of us to cover the needs of the camp. Not bad for me, but my feet are killing me (standing is actually worse for me in those army boots than walking around so I prefer to do patrol).
Started doing combat exercises too, crawling around all places, tactical stuff and such. Gone around the combat track a few times, you know, the one where you rush through the tires, crawl underneath the barb wire.

Good thing is I got lined up for a desk job at an office (location, location, location) so I miss part of the training too and instead work on "go-fetch" activities. Shooting in the range was a charm, got 2 days honorary leave cause I set an example of having a good firing rhythm (breath in, hold, aim, shoot) and was lucky to have the commander noticing me.

The office job has it's benefits too, I've gotten in good terms with most of the lieutenants (they're 25-year olds and 3 of them are girls too) and they invited me to join them in a concert yesterday! Tell you what, my platoon leader looks fantastic in a civilian outfit! Couldn't hold my jaw in place!

All in all, it's a great time thus far! I'm so glad it pays off to be dependable and always willing to do some work. Though I know it won't be that easy when I get send to the border, I indulge in the good state I'm in for now.

And for a pic: That's me with the boys and their GFs while they were visiting on week one!
It's all Greek to me!

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 11:34:25 AM »
I know a couple of films like that nick: The Dirty Dozen about a bunch of convicts sent of on a mission behind enemy lines in ww2 after a short but intense training course then there is Heart Break Ridge where Clint Eastwood trains a bunch of US Marines in a recon plattoon how soldier before going off to Grenada.  Any one else know of soldier films like that?

Offline cotejy

• Rooster
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 12:12:03 PM »
Full Metal Jacket from Stanley Kubrick. During the first half of the movie, there is an intense training. Nothing precise I remember but they are  certainly some scenes like the one you're talking about.

Offline AirScorp

• Rooster
  • Nick
    • Me on myspace
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 01:18:56 PM »
Great movies all of them guys!

The one I'm looking for is a comedy movie about a whole camp of army guys who do nothing all day but catch sun! And then something happens and they have to polish up and prove they're as good as the others. Been too many years to remember any more details, but I think it had some good names in the cast too! The clue is that they belong to a certain division (starting to think I'm using the wrong word here) either mechanics or transport or warehouse guys, can't really remember. No intensive training whatsoever!

On another train of thought: The airforce's show is coming next week and I'm gonna miss it! That's bad!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:22:16 PM by AirScorp »
It's all Greek to me!