Author Topic: How hard does a car need to hit a bike to rupture it's tank?  (Read 5555 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
I just called the hospital where my brother was driven into surgery not long ago and there found out his clothes are totally soaked in gasoline so with his ruined foot despite quality motorcycleboots and him saying the bike is totalled that would mean the car hit so hard the tank ruptured right? Any idea how fast a normal car would have to drive to do that? It happend at an intersection where the driver said to the police she didn't see my brother so I assume it was a straight-on side impact.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
Re: How hard does a car need to hit a bike to rupture it's tank?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 01:21:03 PM »
It depends on what part of the car hit the tank. From what you describe, it looks like your brother has a crushing type injury from the impact. No matter what type of boots he was wearing the injury would still have occurred. however his wearing boots probably lessened the severity somewhat.

Thoughts and prayers for you family Frank.

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 08:51:12 PM »
Thanks, our mom and I were out there yesterday evening where he was still feeling the last effects of the anestetics from surgery and I was there tonight. His left foot is broken in two places and when he landed after the car hit him his leg was on top of the other, and the wrong way around! He's lying with his leg in a brace on a intricate looking piece of hardware with a lot of different sliding tubes. There seems to be a concern they're going to "kick" him out tomorrow so I was wondering if anyone knows what the normal time to be in a hospital is after two fractures and surgury?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:30:13 PM »
There seems to be a concern they're going to "kick" him out tomorrow

He's better off outa there---hospitals are normally full of sick people. I had surgery once and left the same day---skipped home in fact, now I shoot blanks..  ::whistle:: ::whistle::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 10:43:40 AM »
hope your brother gets better soon Frank so he can carry on his studies best wishes goes out to you and your family chief. ::wave::

Broke my leg when i was 5 the docs set it in plaster then sent me on my way a few hours later............................had to go back every other day though  i kept on rubbing through the cast since i could not sit still  ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:46:42 AM by Oddball »
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

airtac

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 03:07:49 AM »
There seems to be a concern they're going to "kick" him out tomorrow

He's better off outa there---hospitals are normally full of sick people. I had surgery once and left the same day---skipped home in fact, now I shoot blanks..  ::whistle:: ::whistle::
Me too but I was walking bowlegged for a week ::complaining:

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 04:21:26 PM »
Probably the first thing that would happen is a failure at the gas cap. I'm not all that well schooled on motorcycle wrecks,
I've worked on quite a few gas tanks... and that always seems to be a weak point in any accident.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 02:58:03 AM »
 :)

Hope all goes along fast for your brother, Frank -- he's young and will heal fast, I'm sure!  Too bad it happened but life is full of adventures and accidents, it seems.   

So, Daddy Airtac...  did you and G-Man have the same doctor or what??!??  Did you skip home, too??   ::whistle::

;)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 03:07:25 AM »
I just saw the bike, still left on the corner not yet picked up by the police for some reason, and it seemed to be sort-of intakt and after having brought back my brother's clothes from the hospital then the fuel-cap was probably the culprit, although the frame of the bike might still be bent meaning it's totalled etc. My brother is doing better but only after the surgury of course, and he didn't want to discuss the X-ray he was shown. That being said then if my brother is young then I'm still barely in my teens (he'll be 44 in a less than two months).

He's sharing a room with a guy who works in drama and such, and he's there because about 1 ton of stage-panels slid and fell onto him crushing ribs and shoulders. He made a great joke, he said he probably would've avoided the panels if he wasn't bad at cheating on his wife, the joke is that having an affair in danish is called having a "sidespring" whch directly translates to Side Jump, meaning jumping to the side which might've made him escape the panels falling ::rofl::

My brother's bike was featured on the danish yamaha site (you can single-click any of the 3 small pictures to show them in the larger frame and then doubleclick that to see the full-res pictures my brother submitted, all taken with his camera-phone from western Denmark this spring) : http://www.yamaha-motor.dk/produkter/motorcykler/min_yamaha/?highlightID=753

Frank
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 03:09:23 AM by Frank N. O. »
— Leonardo da Vinci