Author Topic: "Summer Heat" July 1st 2008  (Read 8302 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
"Summer Heat" July 1st 2008
« on: July 01, 2008, 09:54:52 AM »
 ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: oh man that's so funny! Although it is something I've thought about though, most GA aircraft doesn't seem to even have any ventilation/heating systems like cars do, let alone any vents that could actually give air to the face (which I personally need).

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
Re: "Summer Heat" July 1st 2008
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 10:01:24 AM »
All i can say/put down is....... ::sick:: ::sick:: ::sick::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 03:21:37 PM »
Heck, that's normal for where I live at right now!  SoCal desert temps in July typically top out around 45-48C, or around 110-125F!   ::sweat:: ::sweat:: ::sweat:: ::sweat:: ::sweat::

Older Cessnas had excellent vents for both front and back seats.  The newer ones have much smaller vents and are much less effective at keeping the occupants cool.  I don't know about Piper, Cirrus, Diamond, et al.  Methinks the engineers forgot about this little item called human comfort...   ::thinking::
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 06:40:25 PM »
are pilots human?  ::whistle:: ::whistle::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 06:53:52 PM »
Nope... But passengers are sometimes.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 08:57:40 PM »
We had 40c heat here. The trucks we drive have no air conditioning and the power control unit is in the cab for the compactor. And those get hot!! Truck interior at least 60c no foolin. And stepping in and out constantly, well let's just say that added at least 2 hours to my route. A rotten day!! I can sympathize with Chuck!!! ::sweat:: ::sweat:: ::sweat:: ::sweat:: ::sweat:: ::sweat:: ::sweat:: ::sweat:: ::sweat:: ::sweat:: ::sweat::
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline leiafee

• Cockerel
    • "Lets go flying": Scribblings of a novice PPL
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 08:03:22 PM »
You can get a fine howling gale through the tommyhawk airvents.  Very pleasant on a warm day  (once you're moving anyway)

The heater on the other hand, slow roasts your left ankle and leaves it at that...

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 01:57:53 AM »
You can get a fine howling gale through the tommyhawk airvents.  Very pleasant on a warm day  (once you're moving anyway)

I've flown in those, so I know what you mean.

But I think "a warm" day in Wales is a little different than "a warm" day in Nevada, New Mexico, So Cal., . . . . you get my point  ;D ;)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 08:13:03 AM »

But I think "a warm" day in Wales is a little different than "a warm" day in Nevada, New Mexico, So Cal., . . . . you get my point  ;D ;)

add Arizona to the list---115 in the shade today..  ::unbelieveable::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 04:34:41 PM »

add Arizona to the list---115 in the shade today..  ::unbelieveable::

that's about 47 degrees Celsius for you Europeans....

I heard a story once that the first Diamond Katanas became "unglued" when they first started to ship them to Arizona and New Mexico because the Austrian didn't expect them to get that hot sitting on the ramp and the planes actually started reaching the same temperatures as when they bonded the materials.
Could be a rumor though.....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline leiafee

• Cockerel
    • "Lets go flying": Scribblings of a novice PPL
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 07:27:48 PM »
I think "a warm" day in Wales is a little different than "a warm" day in Nevada, New Mexico, So Cal., . . . . you get my point  ;D ;)

Yes, they're practically mythical in point of fact... ;-)

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 03:45:30 AM »
Yeah, I feel for you guys.  It's a sweltering 83F here in North Pole today.  ::sweat::   But Freezing level is only 8,000ft, so guess where I'll be flying tomorrow.   ::cowboy::
Of course I've got an older Cessna, with those great big wing root vents.  And if it really gets warm I can alway slow down a bit and open the windows.   ::drinking::

Hope, you're all enjoying the summer weather.  I sure am.   ::rofl::

Phil

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 06:25:48 AM »
Yeah, I feel for you guys. 

Thanks--and remember that both Mike and I have to wear nomex flight suits or nomex pants and yellow shirt along with gloves and helmet when flying on fires. We ditched the doors today to try and get airflow through the cabin..
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 06:59:49 AM »
Yeah, I feel for you guys. 

Thanks--and remember that both Mike and I have to wear nomex flight suits or nomex pants and yellow shirt along with gloves and helmet when flying on fires. We ditched the doors today to try and get airflow through the cabin..

Man, that sucks G-man.  I used to have to wear Nomex when I was pulling an asphault tanker.  No fun in the summer heat!   ::sweat:: ::sweat:: ::sweat::
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 01:11:52 AM »

that's about 47 degrees Celsius for you Europeans....

I heard a story once that the first Diamond Katanas became "unglued" when they first started to ship them to Arizona and New Mexico because the Austrian didn't expect them to get that hot sitting on the ramp and the planes actually started reaching the same temperatures as when they bonded the materials.
Could be a rumor though.....
[/quote]

Don't know about coming unglued but the ones I flew had a tough time starting as soon as the temp went over 90F.  Didn't help that most of the students wouldn't use the hot start procedure and vapor lock the engines.
WOW I did that!