Author Topic: solo question  (Read 3941 times)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
solo question
« on: June 28, 2008, 04:26:36 PM »
We were talking about this today but are sitting far away from a FAR manual so I thought I'll ask this in here:

If a student pilot who is signed off to solo (and has soloed before but does not yet have his private rating) ends up flying with a friend who is a private pilot, but is NOT an instructor, and the solo-student is actually flying the aircraft:
Can he log that time?
Does it count as solo?
Is it legal?

Any thoughts?
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
Re: solo question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 05:02:11 PM »
Nope, From 61.51, he cannot log anything---

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=afc20724c21f6e5a65bb94b366eb227f&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.1.1.30&idno=14

(d) Logging of solo flight time. Except for a student pilot performing the duties of pilot in command of an airship requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember, a pilot may log as solo flight time only that flight time when the pilot is the sole occupant of the aircraft.

(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A sport, recreational, private, or commercial pilot may log pilot-in-command time only for that flight time during which that person—

(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated or has privileges;

(ii) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft; or

(iii) Except for a recreational pilot, is acting as pilot in command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 05:16:55 PM by G-man »
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: solo question
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 06:26:25 PM »
cool!

Thanks G-Man!

It's been sooo long since I dealt with solo students and somebody asked me out of the blue.....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.