Author Topic: Chicken looking for work....  (Read 7559 times)

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
Chicken looking for work....
« on: June 23, 2008, 05:19:59 PM »
Well guys as of noon two weeks ago today, I joined the ranks of the unemployed. Eight months ago my manager begged me to take the new weekend supervisor's position they had just created. I very reluctantly took the promotion knowing it might be a bit more than I could handle... Guess I was right. Shortly after I took the promotion, business doubled but the staffing didn't. They had no problems with my quality of work... just the quantity.

I'm one of those "If you want it done do it yourself" kinda people so I had problems delegating the work out. Well long story short, they had no way of demoting me so I was fired. However I was given 3 weeks severance pay plus my unused vacation time. Not to mention the promice of glowing letters of recommendation from both my manager and the company's HR director. I was disappointed more than angry.

However the job market around here sucks, I'll probably end up unloading trucks at Walmart. Knew that forklift certification would come in handy somewhere... ::banghead::

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
Re: Chicken looking for work....
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 06:53:52 PM »
sorry to hear that mate im in the same boat as you looking for work.  :(
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 11:09:45 PM »
Ah, you'll soon have what you want -- good workers are always needed.   :)

Keep us posted and in the meantime, enjoy that pretty green summer there!   |:)\

;)

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 01:03:51 AM »
Brian, sorry to hear that.  The unemployment line sucks no matter which way you look at it.  Nothing wrong driving a forklift/pallet jack... I've done that too.

Are there any other FBO's that you can go to work for at your home field?  At least that way you could still be around an airport.

Good luck to you on your job search.

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 01:33:24 AM »
Only other FBO at Burlington is Atlantic Aviation, Wouldn't work there for twice the pay I got where I was working. Plus with $4.00 plus a gallon gas, the 80 mile daily round trip commute was starting to hurt. The Airlines are not an option since $10.00 an hour wouldn't cover my gas.

The local airport has a small mom and pop FBO, the owner, one mechanic and a flight instructor. Not much call for another line tech there.

My resume on the big job websites keeps getting me calls from insurance companies. Since I have sales experience they for some reason want me. Problem is I sold car parts, I don't even own a suit. I'm about as blue collar as you can get.

I drove truck back in the pre CDL days, (All class B trucks) but I didn't get my CDL when they became manditory. kicking myself for that now.

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 01:39:24 AM »
I drove truck back in the pre CDL days, (All class B trucks) but I didn't get my CDL when they became manditory. kicking myself for that now.

Brian

Brian--do you have a Hazmat endorsement? You can get one on a regular license. Then you could work for helicopter companies as a fuel truck driver--we start at way more than $10 an hour--only problem is, you are away from home for the season. Companies pay your hotel and per diem etc..
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 03:40:02 AM »
Hey Brian! Welcome to the unemployed club! It means you can spend all day on Chicken Wings ;D  ;DI lost my job as office manager at our local airport about a month ago. Then a week ago, they told my hubby (mechanic at the same airport) that they were either terminating him in 4 days or he would have to take a 40% pay cut... Ouch. So he spent last week getting his IA cert, and now... Well, if y'all know of anyone looking for an IA mechanic or any other positions, we're looking at options. It seems we'll probably be moving quite soon unless something changes.
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 04:50:20 PM »

Brian

Brian--do you have a Hazmat endorsement? You can get one on a regular license. Then you could work for helicopter companies as a fuel truck driver--we start at way more than $10 an hour--only problem is, you are away from home for the season. Companies pay your hotel and per diem etc..

Thanks for the tip Gordy, If I was a tad bit younger I'd seriously think about it. Getting My CDL is just a matter of Money. I have the driving skills, I've got 20 years combinded experience of throwing fire trucks and ambulances through heavy traffic at breakneck speeds ::rofl:: My Girlfriends ex Boyfriends brother (Say that 3 times fast) Runs a truck driving school localy so it is an option.

Actually I just saw an ad online for one of the local towing companys needing tow truck drivers. it's the company that I use when I need a tow and the lead tow driver is a friend of mine. I'll be dropping my resume off tomorrow morning. Pay's not spectacular but it's something. Cross your fingers folks.

Brian

-

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 10:45:24 PM »
Whew hope you get the towing job until things work out in the aviation world. But if you get your CDL, don't do long haul or big rigging!!! It sucks (Every swear word here!!!)!! I did it for 2 weeks and quit! Some like it, I hated every moment of it! Now I still work with trucks, but I do curbside pickup of Recycling. Alot of hard work, and 12 hour days, but I'm home night for the 3 S's! It only takes D size trucks (in Canadian terms). If you get your CDL go for Something like driving smaller trucks. Alot less headache.
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 04:36:48 PM »
SHHHEEEEOOOOOTTT, Gilly!  You didn't do Over-The-Road for long enough to get it under yer skin!  I was OTR for 7 years.  I can say with confidence that the first 300,000 miles were pretty fun.  After that, it really began to suck.   ::loony:: ::complaining:

RC
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 04:41:02 PM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 05:58:49 PM »
SHHHEEEEOOOOOTTT, Gilly!  You didn't do Over-The-Road for long enough to get it under yer skin!  I was OTR for 7 years.  I can say with confidence that the first 300,000 miles were pretty fun.  After that, it really began to suck.   ::loony:: ::complaining:

RC

To his credit... he is in Canada...
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 10:44:32 PM »

RC

But most of my trucking was between Canada and the States
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

airtac

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 04:29:28 AM »

RC

But most of my trucking was between Canada and the States
Puhleese ya hoser, it's the "UNITED" States (even though it appears to be separate at times) ;D

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 08:56:25 PM »
Not sure if you're interested in moving, but we still have a labor shortage in Alaska.  Anyone with any skills at all can find work pretty easily, especially in construction.

Phil

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 09:33:08 PM »
Phil, If I was single I'd be knockin on your door for a place to crash. The only places I'd move other then VT are AK, ID and MT. However Since My Girlfriends Dad had a stroke this spring and none of her siblings are willing to take care of him, I'm kinda stuck here.

Brian

-