Author Topic: Sikorsky S-61  (Read 25361 times)

Offline Lt.Fubar

• Fledgling
  • Chasing the sunset
Re: Sikorsky S-61
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 11:39:15 PM »
I'm not sure if with Carson kit those are certified to lift more than normal. But for normal operation, unmodified S61s have hooks certified for 8000lb, this light bird with Carson kit should be able to lift at least 3000lb more + crew + fuel... at least at sea level.

Where did you found it ? And what's its reg?

[edit]
Never mind the reg - just found it, it's N9696W, that makes it ex-Navy SH-3A, C/N 61147, build in 1960... this might be the oldest S-61 in civilian use  ;) A rare find indeed.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 11:48:32 PM by Lt.Fubar »
“I'm a leaf on a wind, watch how I soar.” Hoban 'Wash' Washburne

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 12:53:49 AM »
Wow.

I had no idea. Never seen the operator before so I snapped a picture....
Thanks for the info!
 ::wave::
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 01:26:29 AM »
Three more---I thought I had a pic of the "Bumble Bee" but cannot find it...

Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Lt.Fubar

• Fledgling
  • Chasing the sunset
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 05:52:33 PM »
Uuu... Shiny! More interesting birds... didn't seen that Construction N1043T one yet, that's ex-SH-3A too, although 22 years younger (probably rebuild from few SH-3As ;) )

Remember there are only about 25 civilian S-61A certified - you can easily recognize one by having two part door on the left, just behind the cockpit. At least 6 are owned by the Sikorsky... and probably not flying.

Don't look at the right door. For example, that Carson N7011M have S-61A wide, sliding door... yet it is modified S-61N (higher angle of the tail is a giveaway here).
The second short Carson - N116AZ don't give any illusions, lots of windows, high angle vertical stab - it's an S-61N too - 45years old at that ;)
The other two Construction Helicopters Inc S-61s - the N905CH and N906CH... you guess which one they are ;)

The Last one - Canadian C-GJDR Shortsky on the other hand is a nice presentation, how shortened S-61L looks like. Note also that from all G-man pictures, that one is the only one with old blades, not the composite Carson kit.

Man I feel like ornithologist here  ::drinking::

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 07:06:50 PM »
Man, you sure know your things about those Sikorskis!
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 01:05:55 AM »
Uuu... Shiny! More interesting birds... didn't seen that Construction N1043T one yet, that's ex-SH-3A too, although 22 years younger (probably rebuild from few SH-3As ;) )

Its the second one down---It is our sister ship on the CT Forest with LaFawnduh... Incidentally, Curt who is flying in this picture, is one of the highest time 61 drivers out there---rumor has it, he has been flying them for 30 years.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:11:33 AM by G-man »
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Lt.Fubar

• Fledgling
  • Chasing the sunset
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 12:50:55 PM »
Man, you sure know your things about those Sikorskis!
Well it is one of my favorite helos, and I spend a lot of time studying photos and whatever document I could get my hands on, when I was working on a small personal project that involved making S-61N blueprints... not much came out of it though.
Its the second one down---It is our sister ship on the CT Forest with LaFawnduh... Incidentally, Curt who is flying in this picture, is one of the highest time 61 drivers out there---rumor has it, he has been flying them for 30 years.
I was once directed by John Dixson (ex-Sikorsky test pilot) to Charlie Evans (also ex-Sikorsky employee) heard he was the most experienced S-61 driver out there, didn't asked how much he have flown though.

G-man, could you ask for me - which RFMs are they using on those S-61As ? I don't have one for those, only USAF CH-3B, and the long S-61N/L and R(both USAF and USCG).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 12:52:37 PM by Lt.Fubar »

Offline Winnie

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
Let's start that the Sikorsky S-61 was build in 3 countries - US by the Sikorsky (obviously), England by the Westland, and Italy by Agusta.

The English version of the "Queen of the skies" was the strangest of them all - those were pretty much license build US military SH-3, but powered by their version of T58 turbine - called the Gnome, had more tail rotor blades (6 instead of 5) and some are exceptionally goofy looking, having outboard long range radar inside retractable, inflatable Kevlar bag... English ingenuity amaze me all the time. They also did non-amphibious assault version called "commando" that had the sponsons and retractable gear removed and replaced with fixed one with emergency floats.

The Italian build something completely different - they licensed the S-61R variant

Three things,
Japan (Kawasaki Heavy Industries) actually licensebuilt the HSS-2 Sea King for their defence forces

Italy licensebuilt the SH-3A/S-61A as well for the Italian Navy and airforce, the "Popehelicopter" is currently an S-61A operated by the Italian Air Force.

The Westland Sea King I have somewhat intimate knowledge of, I practically grew up with them. They were originally delivered with the standards 5 bladed tail rotor, but Westland designed a 6 bladed tail  rotor to give more tail rotor authority, which did not really happen. You can see the difference if you google german sea kings, Mk 41 for their air force and for their navy. Mostly the difference is the 5 and 6 bladed tail rotor.
Westland built machines also got Composite blades in the early 90's that changed the profile a tad, and were lighter. I believe they are also looking at outfitting them with the Carson blades now. The westland built Sea Kings are similar in looks to an SH-3D with additional mods and antennas.

Cheers
Winnie, resident Sea King afficionado...

Offline Lt.Fubar

• Fledgling
  • Chasing the sunset
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 09:53:48 AM »
Wasn't the Japanese airframes assembled in 80% of imported (American) parts ?

Offline Winnie

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 02:19:44 PM »
Still considered to be License built. They are Known as Kawasaki/Sikorsky HSS-2.

Cheers
H.