Author Topic: Frt Dog down in KBIL  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
Frt Dog down in KBIL
« on: May 24, 2008, 07:36:13 AM »
Does anyone have inside information on this one?  This doesn't look good.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,357501,00.html

BILLINGS, Mont. —  A small airplane carrying mail crashed into a building early Friday in a fiery explosion, killing the pilot, officials said. No one on the ground was injured.

The plane had just taken off from Billings Logan International Airport when it crashed into a construction materials building at 1:25 a.m., Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Mike Fergus said.

"I just watched the light come out of the sky," witness Mike Krausesaid told The Billings Gazette. "To me it looked like the plane was upside down. And then it just came straight down into the lot."

The plane appeared to hit the ground in the lot of a rental business and skid into the construction materials building, witnesses said.

Duane Demars, who lives nearby, said he heard two loud explosions and four smaller ones.

"It sounded excruciating," he said. "When I got here, flames were at a length of 200 to 300 feet and 20 feet high in the air."

The construction materials building and plane were destroyed by the blaze, and a nearby United Rentals building was damaged by debris, Fergus said.

Alpine Air, which owned the plane, confirmed it was carrying mail bound for Great Falls.

Airport fire chief Michael Glancy said at least 300 gallons of jet fuel spilled in the crash, creating puddles that caught fire.
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Frt Dog down in KBIL
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 10:48:27 PM »
What a shame.  Haven't heard much, just that it missed a very busy street in town... 

They lost a 99 last year, or year before, too..  also in Montana...  the pilot was in level cruise at night and flew into a mountain...  sad stuff.

:(
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 02:55:42 AM »
A correction -- the 99 accident was in 2004.  I thought it was more recent.  Sorry...

:(
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 05:13:27 AM »
The Billings Gazette has a few aerial photos of the crash site here.

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2008/05/23/news/local/16-plane.txt

The story also identifies the pilot as Kelly Lynch of Billings.  Would this fellow have been part of the Lynch family of Lynch Flying Service fame???  I know they had a long and storied career in aerial firefighting, and provided much support for one of my favorite movies of all time, "Always".

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 05:21:24 AM »
More news in this report:

http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/Global/story.asp?S=8369759&nav=LpDZ

Kelly Lynch was identified as the son of Fred Lynch, and he left behind two children.  Fred Lynch sure sounds familiar!  Heartfelt condolences go out to the family.

RC