Author Topic: Fusion Man  (Read 2734 times)

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
Fusion Man
« on: May 15, 2008, 06:04:58 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,355609,00.html

I must admit, I am envious of this guy.  This isn't quite a "human flight" machine since he is unable to takeoff on his own power, but it sure looks like it must be fun!  I'm still trying to figure out how he lands it without using his parachute.   ::thinking::

According to this article, his fans have dubbed him "Fusion Man", although I have yet to see any reports of him using thermonuclear devices or leaving mushroom clouds in his wake.   ::whistle:: ::whistle:: ::whistle::

Years ago, aviation enthusiast and inventor Yves Rossy dreamed of soaring through the sky like a bird.

In 2006 that dream took flight.

Known as Switzerland’s "Fusion Man," Rossy in November 2006 became the first man in the world to fly with wings and four jet engines strapped to his body; on Wednesday he displayed that talent to the world.

• Click here to view photos.

The inaugural flight lasted six minutes in Bex, Switzerland, and included an emergency parachute programmed to automatically open if he were to black out, NBC11 reported at the time.

"The idea is to have fun, not to kill yourself," Rossy said in the story.

In Internet videos, Rossy wears a white helmet with the words "Jet-Man" on the front, dives out of a plane, fires up his wings and propels through the atmosphere, leaving a trail of special-effects white smoke in his wake.

RelatedPhoto Essays
Switzerland's 'Fusion Man' • Click here to view YouTube video of Rossy in flight Part 1 | Part 2.

These days the former Swiss air force fighter pilot can be seen making figure eights over the Swiss Alps during his days off from work as an Airbus pilot for Swiss International Air Lines.

On Wednesday the 48-year-old daredevil made his first public flight with his self-made flying contraption in front of the world press after five years of training and many more years of dreaming.

"This flight was absolutely excellent," the extreme sports enthusiast said after touching down on an airfield near the eastern shore of Lake Geneva.

Half an hour earlier Rossy had stepped out of the Swiss-built Pilatus Porter aircraft at 7,500 feet, unfolded the rigid 8-foot wings strapped to his back and dropped.

Passing from free fall to a gentle glide, Rossy then triggered four jet turbines and accelerated to 186 miles an hour as a crowd on the mountaintop below gasped — then cheered.

His mother, who was among the spectators, told journalists she felt no fear. "He knows what he's doing," Paule Rossy said.

Steering only with his body, Rossy dived, turned and soared again, flying what appeared to be effortless loops from one side of the Rhone valley to the other. At times he rose 2,600 feet before descending again.

"It's like a second skin," he later told reporters. "If I turn to the left, I fly left. If I nudge to the right, I go right."

Rossy then performed a stunt he had never before tried.

After one last wave to the crowd, the rocket man tipped his wings, flipped onto his back and leveled out again, executing a perfect 360-degree roll that even a bird would find impossible.

"That was to impress the girls," he later admitted.

Wednesday's five-minute flight nearly never happened. Rossy said his engineers worked until the last minute to fix one of the four kerosene-fueled engines that power his flight.

He said he is ready now for a bigger challenge: crossing the English Channel later this year.

The stunt, which will be shown on live television, will test his flying machine to the limit. Rossy said he plans to practice the 22-mile trip by flying between two hot-air balloons.

"I still haven't used the full potential," he said.

Rossy told The Associated Press that one day he also hopes to fly through the Grand Canyon.

To do this, he will have to fit his wings with bigger, more powerful jets to allow for greater maneuvering. The German-built model aircraft engines he uses already provide 200 pounds of thrust — enough to allow Rossy and his 120-pound flying suit to climb through the air.

"Physically, it's absolutely no stress," Rossy said. "It's like being on a motorbike."

But on this ride, even the slightest movement can cause problems. Rossy said he has to focus hard on relaxing in the air, because "if you put tension on your body, you start to swing around."

Should things go wrong — and Rossy says they have done more times than not — there's always a yellow handle to jettison the wings and unfold the parachute.

"I've had many 'whoops' moments," he said. "My safety is altitude."

Rossy — whose sponsors have dubbed him "Fusion Man" — says his form of human flight will remain the reserve of very few for now. The price and effort involved are simply too enormous, he says.

So far Rossy and sponsors have poured more than 200,000 Swiss francs, or $190,000, and countless hours of labor into building the device. He would not estimate how much his device would cost should it ever be brought to market.

But, he believes similar jet-powered wings one day will be more widely available to experienced parachutists ready for the ultimate flying experience.

That is, if they don't mind missing out on the breathtaking panorama above the Swiss Alps.

"I am so concentrated, I don't really enjoy the view," Rossy said.
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
Fusion Man is still at it!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 08:08:30 PM »
Now he is attempting to cross the English Channel.  Had to cancel due to bad weather.  Good luck to him.  |:)\

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,427669,00.html

DOVER, England  —  Swiss adventurer Yves Rossy canceled plans Thursday to cross the English Channel strapped to a homemade jet-propelled wing after clouds rolled in over the white cliffs of Dover and hampered visibility.

Rossy said the flight would be rescheduled for Friday, when the weather is expected to improve.

• Click here to view photos.

"It's not so safe to fly across water if you can't see," he told National Geographic Channel in a live television interview. "I don't have any instruments and I need to be able to see the landing site."

The pilot plans to leap from plane more than 8,800 feet off the ground, fire up his jets and try to make the 22-mile trip from Calais in France to Dover in England in about 12 minutes, according to a statement put out by his organizers.

Click here for video from SkyNews.

"It is still prototype — not 100 percent reliable," Rossy told reporters at a news conference. "Every time there is tension."

RelatedStories
Swiss 'Fusion Man' Flies Over the Alps With Jet-Propelled Wings Photo Essays
Switzerland's 'Fusion Man' In his first public demonstration of the device in May, Rossy turned figure eights high above the Alps, performing fluid loops from one side of the Rhone valley to the other.

• Click here to view YouTube video of Rossy in flight Part 1 | Part 2.

The trip across the channel is meant to trace the route of French aviator Louis Bleriot, the first person to cross the Channel in an airplane 99 years ago. Rossy has told The AP he hopes one day to fly through the Grand Canyon.

Organizers said cameras installed in the launch plane, on a helicopter following Rossy, and on the jet-wing itself will relay images of the trip live online.

The carbon composite-wing weighs about 121 pounds when loaded with fuel, and carries four kerosene-burning jet turbines to keep him aloft. The wing has no steering devices — Rossy moves his body to control its movements.

He wears a heat-resistant suit similar to that worn by firefighters and racing drivers to protect him from the heat of the turbines. The cooling effect of the wind and high altitude also prevent him from getting too hot.

Rossy said he expects to survive if he is forced to abort the flight and parachute into the English Channel. He said he would simply cut his engines, open his parachute, and try to avoid the large boats in the busy Channel shipping lanes. A strong life vest would keep him afloat, he said, and a rescue helicopter would pluck him from the sea.

Rossy said he was ready for another try.

"I'm not disappointed," Rossy said. "If it was easy, everyone would do it. ... But I cannot control the weather."

Someone should remind all the Global Warming alarmists of that last line!  Hehe.
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall