Author Topic: Interesting Videos  (Read 51342 times)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Interesting Videos
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 05:09:18 AM »
You did good!

You got it going on now man! Picture matches the name, and a great signature!
(the signature doesn't appear aviation related at first but if one takes a closer look, one will
find that this applies to every pilot out there...heh heh)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 05:16:29 AM »
Got the signature from Bruce Almighty.  I should probably put that in there...Wouldn't want people to think I'm clever enough to think that up on my own.   ;)
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 12:23:17 PM »
This site here has a couple of cool videos! On one you see a plane raking off from a carrier right into a giant wave. And it makes it!! Unfortunately the quality is really bad... but still cool! http://www.fromtheflightdeck.com/

Offline FlyingBlind

• Cockerel
  • What goes up, must come down
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 12:35:43 PM »
I love the missle test video ! Long live Proximity detonations :D

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2006, 04:23:20 AM »
Cool site.  Except you hate to see good warbirds get blown up :'(.  You would like to see them put to better use.
WOW I did that!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2006, 05:45:12 AM »
Wow that was indeed wild. That simulator-test was quite funny, but of course only because it was a simulator! Shutting off the good engine when the other one is on fire! I love the line "Don't worry you won't brake anything". It looked to me like student-pilots at the beginning of their training, what do you think? They sure laughed at the poor guy. That wave-takeoff was scary as heck!! :o Incredible that the plane made it! The A380 video was hilarious however! :D
The Tomcat refueling was horrible, not a fun thing to happend, wasn't there a big risk of explosion there?
Have you seen the video with the large helicopter lining up for refueling and it gets too high and the pilots tilts the rotor so much it cuts off the fuel-pipe? Shows how strong the rotors are I guess since they didn't seem to be damaged, the pilot's spirits however....

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Sleek-Jet

• Rooster
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2006, 07:48:32 PM »
A pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's around airplanes, and airplanes when he's around women.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2006, 08:16:49 PM »
WOW!!!!!!!  :o :o :o Now that is what I call a real flying demonstration, even if it's actually very simple once you think about it, the test-pilot of the 707 did made a roll with in a demo flight as well and while he said it was a simple 1 g manouvre then it shocked the potentional customers looking at it.

That video is fantastic, thank you so much for sharing the link to it! I must say that after seeing him it made me even more sure of what was posted here earlier that glider-flying might be a very good thing to learn before flying a powered plane to learn to truly utilize what can be done. Mother Nature, gotta love her :)

Btw, is that plane what I think it is? The twin-engine Rockwell Aero Commander?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Sleek-Jet

• Rooster
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2006, 08:22:40 PM »
Yep....
A pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's around airplanes, and airplanes when he's around women.

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2006, 08:23:00 PM »
Btw, is that plane what I think it is? The twin-engine Rockwell Aero Commander?

Yep.  I don't think he beefed it up at all, either.  Coud be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's still in the normal category.

fireflyr

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2006, 03:33:30 AM »

Gulfstream, you;re right, the Shrike that Hoover was flying was absolutely stock.   Twin commanders were built to withstand 4.5 Gs, that's one of the reasons I love flying them.    Of course, ONLY Bob Hoover could do the stuff depicted.  I was lucky enough to see him perform in 1987 (I think) at Hamilton AFB at an airshow--a real jaw dropping experience and one that humbled even the best aerobatic pilots.   Chuck Yeager is quoted somewhere saying that Bob Hoover is the best pilot he had ever met or seen.

Incidently, one of Hoovers show Shrikes is now owned by Ponderosa Aviation in Arizona where it flies on as an Air Attack platform, it's done up in Ponderosa livery of white and burgandy--can't recall the N number.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2006, 05:00:24 AM »
You know what guys?

I saw Bob Hoover today !!!
I was letting this older gentlemen through the gate cause he was seeing somebody at the airport. He looked familiar but I couldn't put my finger on where I could have met him before.
Later somebody said "Did you know who that was!!!??? :o"
And I was like "Uhmm...no...but he looks familiar"
And he said "That was Bob Hoover man!"
Can that be???

I am bummed I didn't see that video a day earlier. It would have been fresh in my mind and I could have asked him for an autograph. That's what you get for spending most of your time in sling wing aviation and not keeping up with the stuck wing world....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2006, 05:41:53 AM »
What a bummer! But at least you saw him and that can be just as good as an autograph at least in my mind. I don't suppose there's an equivalent in the sling-wing world of Bob Hoover is there?

I know there's gotta be a lot of learning to understand how Bob Hoover does that even if it might be sound aerodynamics and physics as well as understanding your plane and having a plane that fits you, but I remembered a trio of developers had made a series of Commanders for FS2004 that had won a lot of awards for extreme detail and accurace so I went looking for it and guess what, at www.avsim.com it said: Now you can be Bob Hoover with the freeware Shrike. And when I installed it and ran FS2004 the second of the three std. liveries was called Bob Hoover :D I'm enclosing a 25% screenshot of my engine-off glide over the runway at SF Intl. It actually handled nicely but only if you didn't apply full back-pressure but then again high-speed stalling is a bit like sliding with a car right? You can't apply full steering in high-speed situations, you have to find the limit and stay within it right?

Btw speaking of the real Shrike, the yoke on the simulated one only turned about 40 degrees from center whereas I know real Cessnas rotate a full 90 degree, is that authentic? (I know these are trivial questions but I'm thinking of making a sim-yoke and I want to have correct movement range).

Btw speaking of videos, did anyone want to see the nutter flying under the Eiffel Tower?

Frank
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 05:44:26 AM by Frank N. O. »
— Leonardo da Vinci

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2006, 02:56:54 PM »
Btw speaking of videos, did anyone want to see the nutter flying under the Eiffel Tower?

You bet!

Jay

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2006, 03:48:15 AM »
I haven't read all these posts, so please forgive me if I'm repeating this Airbus joke...

(Oh, and please don't be offended if you're a front seat passenger (I mean pilot) of an Airbus.)

Q.  What's the difference between a chainsaw and an Airbus?

A.  About a thousand trees a minute.

Teehee :)