Author Topic: The Old Cessna Skymaster  (Read 11929 times)

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
The Old Cessna Skymaster
« on: April 15, 2008, 02:19:59 PM »
Ahhhhhh yes.  The Old Cessna Skybasher / Skythrasher / MixMaster...  Uh, the Cessna 337.  That's about the only piston twin Cessna I haven't flown, primarily because I've never worked for someone that had one in their fleet.  Maybe there was a reason no one had them in their fleet...   >:D

I can understand why none of the mags would dare run this strip guys, but I still think its a funny one!   ::bow::  Skymasters make a good target since they had so many quirks that could get you in trouble if you weren't careful.  The Mitsubishi Mu-2 would have been another great candidate, but that one would just kill you if you weren't careful, so it wouldn't have been as funny.

RC

"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
Re: The Old Cessna Skymaster
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 03:05:34 PM »
The ol' push-N-puller. I've never flown one, but at our annual fly-in/breakfast we usually have several come in. I think theres a 337 club based near Chicago.
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 03:49:34 PM »
HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

I LOVE this strip!!!!   I never had anything against the airplane.....  but a certain pilot who flew one was standing by when we arrived at a certain Nevada oasis one fire season....   

This "gentleman" refused to answer me, or respond in any way, when I told him "Hello", and gave me the BIGTIME EVIL EYE when I went into the so-called "pilot lounge", really just a dirty little closet-sized space that mostly managed to stay under 100 degrees F....   He kept STARING AND STARING at me, his displeasure plain as day....  Finally he was forced to ask "So...  are you a SEAT clerk or something?"    >:(

Utterly impressed by then, (I was looking for the big watch), I just said "Nope, I'm with the jumpers."  He didn't know what to say to that, but let's just say he was certainly showing his overflow of brain cells, not to mention his open-minded outlook on life, and sat there and squirmed in discomfort.....  of course, I couldn't POSSIBLY be a PILOT....  sitting in the PILOTS' room....  DUH......    ::loony::

Later on when this "gentleman" had to go fly, the jumpers and I were sitting in the open hangar doorway, and one of them confided to me, pointing at the 337, "That sure is an ugly airplane!"  I couldn't resist, and told him I thought the guy flying it was a complete BUTTHEAD as well.

He grinned a huge grin and whispered, "Well, when he gets back, you should tell him: 'Ooo-oo-oooh, look at the little-bitty wheels!  At least MY airplane doesn't look like a shopping cart!'"

So, ever since that day, I can't help but think of the Shopping Cart joke.....  we laughed and laughed and laughed!

::rofl::                 ::rofl::               ::rofl::                   ::rofl::                    ::rofl::

(I'm printing this strip out so I can put it in my gear and show all the guys....   ::bow::  )

;)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Ralph432

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 03:49:53 PM »
I've flown in one once. The two things that impressed me the most: on takeoff - the practice of pushing the rear-engine throttle forward first so you know the rear engine is working. Two: doing a simulated engine out; we pulled the throttle back and sat there with our feet flat on the floor. After a while, still cruising straight and level, the pilot said, "that's pretty much it."

airtac

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 03:50:40 PM »
HAHAHAHA ;D
Leave it to a mechanic to speak the truth--Atta boy Julio! |:)\
The Mixmaster flies just like any Cessna single (that's why it's known as a "Twingle") which is to say performance and handling is adequate-----until an engine goes away that is ::eek::
It is, however, a bit of a maintenence hog--I had more trouble with 337s than any other make or model I have ever flown

airtac

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 03:56:49 PM »
HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

I LOVE this strip!!!!   I never had anything against the airplane.....  but a certain pilot who flew one was standing by when we arrived at a certain Nevada oasis one fire season....   

This "gentleman" refused to answer me, or respond in any way, when I told him "Hello", and gave me the BIGTIME EVIL EYE when I went into the so-called "pilot lounge", really just a dirty little closet-sized space that mostly managed to stay under 100 degrees F....   He kept STARING AND STARING at me, his displeasure plain as day....  Finally he was forced to ask "So...  are you a SEAT clerk or something?"    >:(

Utterly impressed by then, (I was looking for the big watch), I just said "Nope, I'm with the jumpers."  He didn't know what to say to that, but let's just say he was certainly showing his overflow of brain cells, not to mention his open-minded outlook on life, and sat there and squirmed in discomfort.....  of course, I couldn't POSSIBLY be a PILOT....  sitting in the PILOTS' room....  DUH......    ::loony::

Later on when this "gentleman" had to go fly, the jumpers and I were sitting in the open hangar doorway, and one of them confided to me, pointing at the 337, "That sure is an ugly airplane!"  I couldn't resist, and told him I thought the guy flying it was a complete BUTTHEAD as well.

He grinned a huge grin and whispered, "Well, when he gets back, you should tell him: 'Ooo-oo-oooh, look at the little-bitty wheels!  At least MY airplane doesn't look like a shopping cart!'"

So, ever since that day, I can't help but think of the Shopping Cart joke.....  we laughed and laughed and laughed!

::rofl::                 ::rofl::               ::rofl::                   ::rofl::                    ::rofl::

(I'm printing this strip out so I can put it in my gear and show all the guys....   ::bow::  )

;)
YOU AREN'T TALKING ABOUT ME, I HOPE ::eek::

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 04:08:46 PM »
Oh heavens NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :o

I can't think of this guy's name....  he was sure a sourball.....  he was so ticked when he figured out what I was there for..... 

Of course the guys LOVED it, and would have tormented him (appropriately I must add), but he got released soon after we got there, so we couldn't even make his days entertaining.......  bummer.  I was kinda looking forward to that.....   heeeee....   ;D

:D

airtac

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 04:13:08 PM »
Oh heavens NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :o

I can't think of this guy's name....  he was sure a sourball.....  he was so ticked when he figured out what I was there for..... 

Of course the guys LOVED it, and would have tormented him (appropriately I must add), but he got released soon after we got there, so we couldn't even make his days entertaining.......  bummer.  I was kinda looking forward to that.....   heeeee....   ;D

:D

Well, I thought it might have been me at WMC because I always looked pissed off when I had to fly that "shopping cart"  wouldn't have done either, except the guy paid me bunches of money (more than I get now) :-\

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 04:16:37 PM »
Oh my goodness, I saw you in WMC and you were SO FAR on the OTHER end of the scale than this guy......  !!!!

It's not even close!!!!!   

But I really do think of the "shopping cart" joke every time I see that airplane anymore.......    ;D

;)

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 03:17:22 AM »
A buddy of mine in North Dakota told me today he just got conned into flying the "Twingle" this summer on a local Mosquito control contract for his hometown.  200AGL at night in the old Mix-Master.  I told him he had to do it at night in order to protect his reputation!  LMAO!!!   ::rofl:: ::rofl::

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 03:50:57 AM »
I once did and annual on one of them that almost took all year. I guess that's why they call it annual ?!?!  ::whistle::
That is where my love for the Skybastard started and the strip was refined....
Ask any mechanic!!

Wasn't all Cessnas fault and more the previous owners, but you do have to be tripple-jointed to work on that rear engine....
And those pressurized ones WITH aircondition ?!?! They are a nightmare!!  ::complaining:
Also trying to get parts for them is not easy....
I could go on....

But it flies nice! Like Jim said, like a Cessna single. If I would have to loose an engine at 200ft flying mosquito control, I wouldn't mind being in one cause of the centerline thrust...
(of course I'd rather be in a helo if I lost an engine at 200ft....  ;) )
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 04:05:21 AM »
If I would have to loose an engine at 200ft flying mosquito control, I wouldn't mind being in one cause of the centerline thrust...

In the daytime, or at night?  Hehe.   ::silly:: ::loony::

Offline scott8887

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 06:12:35 AM »
Haha it's hilarious that this comic happens to come out just two days after I saw one fly in at SPG.

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 02:53:16 PM »
Soccermom, ain't it great slaughtering some of those silly sacred cows?

I've been known to have a bit of a warm-on for the Skymaster, but took it off my list when I figured I'd be better off with a 182.

...not that I actually HAVE a 182... uh, just that I'd be better off... nevermind.  ::whistle::

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 05:04:51 PM »
If I would have to loose an engine at 200ft flying mosquito control, I wouldn't mind being in one cause of the centerline thrust...

In the daytime, or at night?  Hehe.   ::silly:: ::loony::

well.... you know. I am just saying....
Either way you're kind of screwed...
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.