Author Topic: OOOPSIE! **Bang!!**  (Read 10349 times)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
OOOPSIE! **Bang!!**
« on: March 24, 2008, 11:53:26 PM »
So, did I just hear this right?    :o

I'm sitting here listening to the news, and they said a pilot on a US Airways flight accidentally fired his weapon during the flight from Denver to Charlotte.... 

D'you suppose he asked for the fish and the FA brought him the chicken instead?? 

Or, maybe the SIC was just TOO MUCH for him to take anymore.....  Uniform Alpha, Mayday, Mayday, Mayday......

Jeez, I think I've heard everything now....  if the pilots aren't sleeping, they're shooting....   ::rofl::

::loony::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
Re: OOOPSIE! **Bang!!**
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:02:07 AM »
So, did I just hear this right?    :o

Yep it happened the other day, see if only Baridium was here..we would have heard sooner:

Pilot's gun discharges on US Airways flight 12:14 PM

12:14 PM EDT on Monday, March 24, 2008

By DIANA RUGG / WCNC
E-mail Diana: DRugg@wcnc.com

CHARLOTTE, N.C.-- A gun carried by a US Airways pilot accidentally discharged during a flight from Denver to Charlotte Saturday, according to a statement released by the airline.

The statement said the discharge happened on Flight 1536, which left Denver at approximately 6:45 a.m. and arrived in Charlotte at approximately 11:51 a.m.

The Airbus A319 plane landed safely and none of the flight’s 124 passengers or five crew members was injured, according to the statement. It was a full flight. An airline spokeswoman said the plane has been taken out of service to make sure it is safe to return to flight.

A Transportation Safety Administration spokeswoman reached by WCNC Sunday said the pilot is part of TSA’s Federal Flight Deck Officer (FFDO) program, which trains pilots to carry guns on flights. Andrea McCauley said the gun discharged in the cockpit, but she could not release how the gun was being transported at the time. She did not release the pilot’s name, but said he was authorized to carry the weapon and was last requalified in the FFDO program last November.

A statement from TSA said the airplane was never in danger, and the TSA and the Federal Air Marshals Service are investigating the incident.

WCNC reporter Mark Boone is following up on this story. If you or someone you know were on that flight, please e-mail him at mboone@wcnc.com.
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:03:51 AM »
so thats what shooting the sh$t means  ::rofl::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 05:22:06 PM »
Well... thar's yer problem! Lettin' the TSA handle firearms training?
Aw, hell... I'm amazed it hasn't happened more!

By the way, in shooting circles, that would be considered an ND, or Negligent Discharge, as the pilot was likely not following the basic safety rules.

Offline rtrhead71

• Wait, was it a 'bang' or a 'pop'?
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 05:51:30 AM »
Part of the new inflight crew resource management training here at embry will entail discharging a firearm at flight level 10 and then figuring out how to blame it on the observer in the back seat!  ::rambo::  ::rambo::  ::rambo::

When do we begin training for that?!  ::whistle::
Blue side up?  Even over water???

Offline leiafee

• Cockerel
    • "Lets go flying": Scribblings of a novice PPL
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 10:04:44 PM »
Soooo which is scarier to the travelling public...

Rampaging terrorists?

Or the thought that your pilot is fully capable of shooting himself in the foot...  (Or indeed missing which I'm not sure isn't worse... ::rofl::)

Chuck hasn't finally got his ATPL has he...  ;)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 03:07:41 AM »
On the news tonight they showed a picture of the fuselage with the bullet hole in it......   ::)

More fodder to make the flying public happy.....   ::loony::

Maybe it IS Chuck??!??!??!?    ::silly::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 07:48:44 AM »
is that you chuck or is it  his flying instructor?  ::thinking::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 12:01:46 AM »
Well... thar's yer problem! Lettin' the TSA handle firearms training?
Aw, hell... I'm amazed it hasn't happened more!

By the way, in shooting circles, that would be considered an ND, or Negligent Discharge, as the pilot was likely not following the basic safety rules.

The FFDO requirements have some quirks that are not imposed on other carriers on aircraft (air marshals as well as your local sherrif).  This results in the FFDO having to holster and remove his weapon up to 10 times or more PER FLIGHT!  Coupled with this is a trigger lock that must be installed each time the weapon is stored.  If the trigger lock is improperly installed, it can cause the weapon to discharge.  It has been severely over regulated, and in many ways that don't neccessarily make any sense.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 05:44:18 AM »
If the trigger lock is improperly installed, it can cause the weapon to discharge. 

:o  :o  NO WAY !!!  :o  :o

like if you install it while the gun is loaded and cocked maybe?   ::sick::

do you own a handgun, Baradium?
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

airtac

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 07:13:35 AM »
Y'know, I read the same drivel that Baradium must have read about the trigger lock causing the gun to discharge but I can't see how that could happen---if it's so, they (THE TSA) need to get their head outta their butt and use different weapons or different locks.... ::loony::
I've had a handgun (model 36 Smith revolver 38 Special, 1 1/2" barrel) nearby just about 24/7 (never while on the airline, naturally) going on 35 years and never had occasion to use it and I never use a trigger lock either which cuts down on the amount of times I handle it.  Leave it to the government with their belt and suspenders mentality to scew up something as simple as carrying a protective device.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 03:12:31 PM by airtac »

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 12:45:10 PM »
A bit off topic, but yet very much on topic :)

Anybody knows how is DC Ban case going?
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 03:07:52 PM »
you mean as in the DC-3/C-47 fabo? well air atlantique may have to ground their fleet unless the CAA (Uk's FAA) can get a exemption from EASA since JAR-OPS is being replaced by EU-OPS requiring the old Goony bird to be uprated to airliner status. and that goes for some others in their classic fleet. just read Pilot magazine (which also runs chicken wings  ::bow:: )

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 05:43:15 PM »
A bit off topic, but yet very much on topic :)

Anybody knows how is DC Ban case going?

Y'know.. after I listened to the briefs on CSPAN, I haven't been keeping up as well as I should.

I find it interesting that the grabbers are claiming that the locality has primacy over federal law... when everything else
they've done was pushing federal law over local law. I guess it depends on which is more in line with their agenda.
Obviously they'll prefer the local laws in DC over the ones in Montana or New Mexico... and they'll stretch their definitions
and standards to fit. No problem, as their supporters aren't terribly interested in the truth anyway.

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 08:19:36 PM »
you mean as in the DC-3/C-47 fabo? well air atlantique may have to ground their fleet unless the CAA (Uk's FAA) can get a exemption from EASA since JAR-OPS is being replaced by EU-OPS requiring the old Goony bird to be uprated to airliner status. and that goes for some others in their classic fleet. just read Pilot magazine (which also runs chicken wings  ::bow:: )

Completely new info for me!  I was talking about hamdgums ban proposed in the Washington DC, now at US Supreme court. Some say it is against constitution.

Well tell me smth about Dakota ban please, I have no access to Pilot and such and I would like to know.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."