Author Topic: Fly a DC3  (Read 14175 times)

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
Fly a DC3
« on: March 24, 2008, 05:54:13 PM »
Avweb and Herpa Wings are teaming up to provide some lucky pilot the chace to fly a DC3 at Sun 'n Fun this year! Sounds Awesome. Is anyone here going to Sun 'n Fun?

Always Wanted To Fly A DC-3?

Entry Deadline:
April 1, 2008
Flight Date:
April 8, 2008 (7 a.m.)
Flight Location:
Linder Airport, Lakeland, Florida
Winners Announced:
April 3, 2008
To qualify, you must have a valid pilot certificate and current medical. (It doesn't have to be a U.S. certificate.)

Arguably the most important aircraft ever produced, the DC-3 ushered in the "modern" era of air transportation. But until you've sat in the left seat, gripped that huge yoke and tried to muscle the big bird onto final, you can't appreciate what life was like for the tens of thousands of pilots who have shaken, rattled and rolled in the confines of that cockpit.

Or maybe you're a former DC-3 pilot looking for a trip down memory lane. Whatever the motivation, now's your chance to fly left seat in the iconic aircraft, courtesy of Herpa Wings, AVweb and the owner of N143D, Dan Gryder, at Sun 'n Fun on April 8. You'll be in control as Dan guides you through takeoff, pattern work and even a few low and overs in a beautifully maintained but still very historic DC-3. All you have to do is tell us (and 200,000 AVweb readers) why you want to. Send us a short (no longer than 200 words) essay on the topic: "Why I Want To Fly The Herpa Wings DC-3."

E-mail your entry to fly-the-dc3@avweb.com by April 1, 2008.

Important Rules:
To qualify, you must have a valid pilot certificate and current medical. It doesn't have to be a U.S. certificate. You must be available to fly at 7 a.m. on Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at Lakeland Linder Airport in Florida. All entries must be received by April 1, 2008.

Winner will be announced in the April 3 edition of AVwebFlash. Good luck!

No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Fly a DC3
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 06:20:57 PM »
Wow, wouldn't it be neat if someone in the COOP won this?!?!?!?    ::bow::

Nice of you to post the info!!   ::bow::

8)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 07:53:29 PM »
dam if i win it ill have to travel over .....but second thoughts that might not be such a bad idea now lets see " iwnat to fly the herpa DC-3 cos...."  ::rofl::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 07:57:10 PM »
dam if i win it ill have to travel over .....but second thoughts that might not be such a bad idea now lets see " iwnat to fly the herpa DC-3 cos...."  ::rofl::

Pilot License Ian.... I think model one does not count  ;)
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 08:02:36 PM »
to hell wi the pilots licence its a free gift from kellogs any way,  ask gibbo  ::rofl:: so where was i " i want to fly the herpa DC-3 since i think it is a wonderful....." ::thinking::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

airtac

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 08:04:02 PM »
Wow, wouldn't it be neat if someone in the COOP won this?!?!?!?    ::bow::

Nice of you to post the info!!   ::bow::

8)
Probably be you---just because you already have DC-3 time ::complaining:

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 08:12:07 PM »
Nope, it'll never happen....  I was all wound up until my Keeper told me the part about having to WRITE an essay why I'd want to win....   :'(

I've been up and down this damned airport, all pilots, yeah, sure, but do you think I can find anyone who can WRITE??!?    :'(    :'(     ::banghead::

::)

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 08:13:04 PM »
if you are nice to me mary i suppose i could write a eassay for you while im doing my college work  ::whistle::

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 11:55:10 PM »
OKAY!  Sounds good!  Lay it on really thick...  with some whimpering, crying and maybe some SERIOUS groveling....   ::whistle::

::drinking::

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 12:02:39 AM »
now that might mean ripping the pervirbale out of your Hatfield special S'Mom

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 09:59:18 AM »
*gulp* and I thught I knew English... you made me wrong Ian  ;D
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 10:18:43 AM »
*gulp* and I thught I knew English... you made me wrong Ian  ;D

how was that fabo?

airtac

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 02:15:38 PM »
now that might mean ripping the pervirbale out of your Hatfield special S'Mom
Hey Fabo, it scared me too ::rofl::

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 02:30:34 PM »
oh right sorry i gave everyone a headache from trying to pronounce that hell it made me dizzy trying to type it, was trying to cut down on my swearing  ::rofl::

airtac

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 07:51:18 AM »
I hav spel chek on my comporter wich keeps me frum making misteaks |:)\