Author Topic: CHOCK HOPPING!  (Read 9405 times)

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
Re: CHOCK HOPPING!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 04:21:13 AM »
Hmmmm, I've hopped one too. Saturday afternoon at the firehouse, doing some cleanup on Engine 2, tones go off and we mount up and I drop the hammer to head out the door.... BOUNCE!!! what the heck ::knockedout:: The dang Captain threw a chock under the rear wheel while the truck was in the station ::complaining: his responce.... Oops   ::loony::

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline Skid Kid

• Fledgling
  • Zulu Time!
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 11:58:27 AM »
Tow tractors hop 'em easily with their big tires and pull-anything-torque.  The 6 ton APU i was pulling, not so much...  ::loony::
Don't worry, it'll buff out.

Offline Ragwing

• Rooster
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2008, 05:17:35 PM »
Chocks??? What chocks.

At Boeing Field (King County International Airport) BFI, a lot of the GA tie downs are small concrete blocks.
The controllers take great delight in finding a GA heading down the taxiway towing a trailer from it's tail. ::banghead::

That is almost as good as the one GA I watched who forgot to untie the left wing...... He went in an aggressive left turn ::knockedout::

Offline leiafee

• Cockerel
    • "Lets go flying": Scribblings of a novice PPL
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 07:27:10 PM »
I've done the opposite once in one of my "chuck moments"

Got out went to put a chock under the wheel, find I've forgotten to put the brakes on and slowlllyyy but surely the aeroplane starts rolling backwards.

Yark!  I drop the chock in a panic, grab the prop and hang on to stop it.  That works, the aeroplane comes ot a halt, but now I can't reach the chock and if I let go and go get it the aeroplane is going to follow the call of gravity.  Frantic flailing with my toes trying to reach the chock without letting go of the propeller ensues...

Most undignified.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 11:35:39 PM »

Got out went to put a chock under the wheel, find I've forgotten to put the brakes on and slowlllyyy but surely the aeroplane starts rolling backwards.

Yark!  I drop the chock in a panic, grab the prop and hang on to stop it.  That works, the aeroplane comes ot a halt, but now I can't reach the chock and if I let go and go get it the aeroplane is going to follow the call of gravity.  Frantic flailing with my toes trying to reach the chock without letting go of the propeller ensues...

Most undignified.

HA HA!

This story sounds familiar. I am sure I have done the same thing before....
Would be great for the animation (if we ever get there...)

BTW: here is the original for those of you who are interested:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 11:37:41 PM by Mike »
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline amcquiddy

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 03:15:43 PM »
That's why you always fly with someone in the right seat. "Hey, would you go pull the chocks for me?"

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 05:27:17 PM »

Most undignified.
;D ;D ;D Nice! ::bow::
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline The Dancing Bear

• Fledgling
  • DammifIknow where we're going!"
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 08:34:44 PM »
My guys haven't "hopped" theirs that I know of,yet..... ;)   However they used to have a major case of 'forgetitis" where the chocks were concerned. that is till I put some HOT PINK ones in the birds !!!  ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl::Imagine, if you will , a line of government King Airs all lined up at a base looking all spiffy. But one stands out of the crowd  ;) ;) :o :o ::unbelieveable:: Those pink chocks got some serious ribbing for the pilots. It took a few weeks, but they developed the habit of snatching those chocks out pretty well . They got their "regular" ones back,with the warning that the first crew to forget them would get the "punishment" chocks back again. So far they've done real well. Do ya think it's fear of ridicule from their peers ??????  Only a mech would do such a heartless thing to his fearless aviators. Subliminal cruelty, hey it worked for me !!!!!!
A&P / IA. by profession, Parrothead by choice.

airtac

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 09:24:50 PM »
You and Sheriff Joe?? ::)