Author Topic: How old do you have to be to start training for a pilots licence?  (Read 13147 times)

Offline Paper-Airplane

• Sketchhumor.com!
    • Sketch Humor
I was wondering how old you had to be to train to get a pilots licence? I know you can get one by age 16, but can you train for one before that?

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: How old do you have to be to start training for a pilots licence?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 02:05:16 AM »
I will see if I can get more opinions on this but as far as I know you can start training as soon as you're old and tall enough to reach the pedals. Correct me if I am wrong guys>!!

I had a 13 year old student once. I am not sure if you can solo before 16, I would have to look that up.
My student never made it that far. He was a spoiled brat and his parents pushed him to learn how to fly so thay can show off with their kid doing something "better" than other kids.
And, as all of us who do have a license know, if your heart isn't in this one....forget it. Won't happen...
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Paper-Airplane

• Sketchhumor.com!
    • Sketch Humor
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 02:08:42 AM »
Thanks for the info. How tall was this kid? Or how tall do you need to be to reach the pedals?

Offline Sleek-Jet

• Rooster
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 04:33:23 AM »
In the US... you can log dual from a licensed instructor at any age.  You cannot solo a powered aircraft until you're 16, or 14 if it's a glider.  You cannot get your private pilot license (single engine or helo) until you're 17.  I don't know about the Sport Pilot license.

I started keeping a log book when I was 11.  My Fasha (Aurtin Powers reference) is an instructor, and he let me fly when ever we went somewhere.  I had alot of time in the book by them time I earned my private at 17.
A pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's around airplanes, and airplanes when he's around women.

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 04:35:32 AM »
Just get some blocks of wood ans some big phone books to sit on and you'll be fine.  And like Sleek said you can do your soaring stuff earlier.  Thats were I got my start and trust me its a lot of fun.
WOW I did that!

fireflyr

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 05:01:34 AM »
See what I mean?

You're in good company kid, so start dreaming and you can do anything you want---I too started when I was 15 and my youngest son got dual instruction from me at age 13.

What your mind can conceive, if you will believe, then you will achieve...........

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 05:02:35 AM »
Seats are adjustable...You can always find a way to make a non-standard modification, too.   ;)
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Paper-Airplane

• Sketchhumor.com!
    • Sketch Humor
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 05:11:56 AM »
I think I will start on a glider, they sound like a lot of fun. Thanks for the information guys, a lot of help.

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 01:39:35 PM »
I think I will start on a glider, they sound like a lot of fun.

This I think is a very good idea! To my opinion all pilots should start to fly on gliders. Only here a pilots gets the real feeling for the element he is moving in. Air. Here a pilot learns to use up-winds and to get out of winds blowing him down or close to cliffs. Here a pilot learns a lot about weather judgement, clouds and their benefits, thermals. Again, a perfect idea. It helps a lot for any later flight-training.
If helicopter flying would be difficult, engineers would do it.

Offline Inept

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 11:18:17 PM »
It used to be, in the 1920's and 30's that glider training was part of the training for militray aviators around the world, the reason being that if your fans fail in a plane, you find yourself in a big, heavy glider, and should know how to fly one successfully for more than just a forced landing.

To prove the value of the training before it was adopted by the U.S., a naval test pilot took his all metal, monoplane military trainer up and killed and secured his engine.   He then rode the leading edge of a front for atleast fifteen minutes without losing altitude.   I, unfortunately don't remember the name of the pilot, nor the year.   I also don't know if it is still required at all, or if it was phased out after world war II.

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 07:22:23 AM »
In our modern time we live in there is not enough time to train young pilots on gliders first. Also there is not enough money to do so. But yes, in the past to fly gliders first was a normal approach to this subject. It is a perfect way to learn to use available resources, especially if they are very few. Not only the U.S. forces did so, but also in Europe it was a standard lesson for pilots to start with gliders. Maybe some “old” Captains of the famous “Luft-Hansa” can support this and talk about the days on the Wassekuppe …

Also we engineers start with gliders. Not to fly but to design, build and fly them in scaled models. It is a lovely adventure, really it is! From the very first time one puts a pencil on the paper to the moment of handing the plane to its element. I made aerodynamic tests with a scaled glider model while driving my bicycle...
If helicopter flying would be difficult, engineers would do it.

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 08:49:44 PM »
I loved flying the gliders and like everyone says it reallys helps with the basics.  My glider instructor was all about controlling the airspeed and it does marvels when flying the 172.
WOW I did that!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 10:28:44 PM »
yep, the rating even helps you when you end up flying helicopters like I did.
utilizing up-drafts in the mountains, knowing where and what the winds are, and so on...
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 11:23:16 PM »
Non-craft parts of flight training can start anytime so long as the information is presented properly.  I've taught the basics of things like lift, drag, etc., to kids as young as 7 or 8 (not in an official CFI capacity), and they pick up on things.  The more you can acclimate someone to the topic, starting with basic knowledge first, the better prepared they will be when it comes time to take the written, and then to start the actual flight portion of their training.

My daughter is was 14 when she started her actual flight portion of her training.  As long as you can reach the controls, it's never too early.  Just remember that you have a limited time from taking the written to complete the practical flight exam from a DE, and you can't fly solo until you're 16, so.... those are really the only limiting factors.

One should gauge interest, and how seriously the youngster is able to take the topic of aviation.  Kids tend to think they are invincible, and take great risks with physical activities, including driving, so it is not every child that has the mental temperment to be a safe, serious (by that I mean taking the topic seriously and knowing it can be deadly if not treated with respect), and thoughtful candidate.  Judgement can be taught, but one also has to have the basic knack for reasoning things out logically and not impulsively.

Hope this is of assistance :)
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

SkyKing

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 09:04:04 AM »
I started learning to fly a little after my 8th birthday.  That was 4 decades ago.

I won't stop learning about flying until I am no longer flying, because there is always something new.