Author Topic: Have you ever noticed...  (Read 23961 times)

fireflyr

Re: Have you ever noticed...
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2006, 02:15:13 PM »
When I remarried, I made sure my bride knew that I had a misstress named 'Airplane" and that she'd have to deal with it.
Funny how many women (maybe men too--see "Brokeback Mountain") are attracted to airplane drivers and don't realize it's a lifelong passion they'll have to compete with.

So true! Here a happy story about pilot and family.

My girlfriend father was a pilot. He was flying helicopters in damn construction projects in northern Quebec. When he asked her girlfriend to be his wife, he told her "You know I'm a pilot before beeing a husband or a father". They got married, he worked as pilot for years up north and only had a few days per months home. His wife was happy to have a husband who bring home money to pay the bills, they had 2 kids who were happy to have mom home and they had the best dad in the world because when he could, he landed on a piece of land a few meters from home and took the whole family for a ride.

I just hope my grilfriend have some genetic from her mother.  ;D
GOOD LUCK ON THE GENETICS!   |:)\

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2006, 11:37:26 PM »
I was thinking about what you, Cotejy and Fireflyr, said and I just wanted to drop some observations about it, drawn on my past experience. Until last year I was engaged with a pilot, and my female friends and male university's students colleagues (outsiders to the aviation world) used to ask me how I could have "this kind of relationship". I used to wonder about what "this kind of relationship" meant, given the fact that for me - being my first serious relationship - everything was at the same time either normal (I had no past to compare with) or new. But looked at from the outside, I had a man who was working more or less 12+ hrs per day, 7/7, with whom I could not spend a weekend together, with whom I could not plan a vacation, with whom planning a dinner with friends was already a tour de force, a boyfriend who never came to university with me when I had an exam, who was unavailable til late in the evening, when I could often scoop him up from the floor, given the fact he was tired. I think for me was normal and wonderful either because I was in love, or because I had completely accepted his way of life and what it carried to the “us”. I never felt I was living something not worth of living: I felt realization of the couple (and thus me, being part of it!) passing by the fact he felt happy and realized by what he was doing and, second thing,  my life was not over outside the couple, on the contrary, it was quite full: I had exams to prepare, a doctorate to write, sports I practiced, flights to do, and my life was stuffed even when we were not together. And we shared a great passion together, the one of flight, that is a potent glue. So said, I honestly think that to be the partner of a full time pilot doesn’t give you a “routine life”, so the partner must be ready to accept it, and must either be independent enough to live by him/herself and must always understand that the couple’s growth passes by the happiness of both participants, so he/she must understand that he/she must never (and even try to) cancel or limit what makes the significant other happiness. I do not flight for work, but I see that either that way some part of the principle works: today I could never ever start a relationship with somebody who – at least – doesn’t like flying, since I know that were I with somebody who dislike flying, he would try to stop me, when I just plan to go for a ride. The point is, why – on earth – is just the pilot’s category affected so much by the partner’s drawing of a limit? I never heard  anybody saying “he should stop doing this work: he is a boring banker!”.

And, last thing….@ Fireflyr: Just see how a pilot lovingly touches the controls of the aircraft, and you'll understand why it’s so easy to be attracted to him: You wonder if I say that I once forgot to take off for that reason?!?! :) :) 
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

fireflyr

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2006, 09:26:42 AM »
Happy, I'd like to comment on your observations and will when I have reread them and have more time---need time to think, need time to sleep (it's 0230)----YAWN---goodnight

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2006, 08:41:20 PM »
Wow Happy! That's deep!
I like it.

We need more girl like you out there! You rock, girl !!     |:)\   |:)\
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2006, 04:56:21 AM »
Sorry for the late reply mates! Mike, thanks for what you say! it's really kind, I'm flattered. and Fireflyr, I will wait for your observations, since I'm curious to know what an experienced pilot thinks about it.
As I said, I drew these observations from my past relationship to a pilot, but I clearly do not have a lot of experience in relationship, either with pilots or "pedestrians"...... :D

fireflyr

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2006, 12:50:33 PM »
Sorry for the late reply mates! Mike, thanks for what you say! it's really kind, I'm flattered. and Fireflyr, I will wait for your observations, since I'm curious to know what an experienced pilot thinks about it.
As I said, I drew these observations from my past relationship to a pilot, but I clearly do not have a lot of experience in relationship, either with pilots or "pedestrians"...... :D

I'M THINKING!!!!!! ;D

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2006, 07:21:25 PM »
Still thinking there, Jim?
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

fireflyr

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2006, 10:29:53 AM »
AW heck Happy, I thought I had something worth while to contribute but I really do not.  Here are sme random thoughts.
I guess the reason non pilots question our motives is that they may feel a passion for the job they do but it's different with many pilots because our job can also be our hobby.
Ever heard of a banker making practice loans to friends on weekends for their enjoyment?
If you are looking for a soul mate who will not give you grief about your passion for flight, I guess the best course of action is be direct in your conversations about your expectations.
Actually, I guess what I'm thinking right now is that I'd rather have the love Of my life (her name is Charmaine) by my side than some flying machine.   Don't get me wrong, I'd rather fly than F**k (in spite of my age, I can still fly many times a day) but when it comes down to the final moments of life, it is Charmaine who will be holding my hand and weeping with me---not some damn airplane!
The world of aviation will not care about my passing but those with whom I have  reciprocated love will, and in the final analyisis, that is what counts!
JIM

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2006, 05:00:13 PM »
Well said.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2006, 01:24:10 AM »
Heck I'll comment!

Happy, you seeing anyone these days?  Want to go for a ride in my plane?  it's a real cute one (so my mechanic always says) and I'll even let you take the controls.  And since I have one of those boring desk jobs, she's free most of the time.   ;D   ;)

Seriously though, I'd never date anyone who didn't enjoy aviation.  I know too many pilots who's wives constantly nag them about the time and money they spend on aviation.  And a few very forturnate ones who's spouses love it just as much as they do.

Phil

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2006, 11:38:23 PM »
@ Fireflyr: well said! Even if I'm late on the reply, being clear on the expectations is something always important in any relationship...shame is that soon is often too soon, and after it's too late! :). And yes, with planes you touch the sky once flying, with The love of your life you touch the sky also when grounded.

@ Phil: not seeing anybody, but I actually presume that CW forum isn't loveisintheair! :) :) :)  ;)  ;)

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2006, 09:23:09 PM »
@ Phil: not seeing anybody, but I actually presume that CW forum isn't loveisintheair!       

Don't worry, It was said in jest.  I've not doubt you're as wonderful in person as on-line, but I think the likelyhood of you moving to Alaska is about the same as me moving to Europe.   ;)

Phil

fireflyr

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2006, 12:25:01 AM »
@ Phil: not seeing anybody, but I actually presume that CW forum isn't loveisintheair!       

Don't worry, It was said in jest.  I've not doubt you're as wonderful in person as on-line, but I think the likelyhood of you moving to Alaska is about the same as me moving to Europe.   ;)

Phil
Never say never---of course, you and Happy together would look like "Beauty and the Beast"----(just kidding, you big bear) ;D