Author Topic: Heavy planes and frequencies  (Read 16660 times)

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
Heavy planes and frequencies
« on: March 13, 2008, 01:15:28 PM »
I've been thinking about it from what weight/size  an airplane get "Heavy" in the end of it callsign?
and about frequencies,what signal is used for communication? (radio am/fm,atc.)
oh... and two more thing about gliders:

i saw a glider pulled by a cessna,about 10 second after the cable have been released, the glider did two loops,is this ok or there were something wrong? cause in the second he got out of the loop really low...

and when the cessna releases the glider,why it shuts down the engine? everytime i see a cessna releasing the glider it shuts off the engine,not bringing it to idle,it shuts off.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 01:35:02 PM by 4X-NTY »
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
Re: Heavy planes and frequencies
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 04:02:06 PM »
if the plane is over a certain weight it is called a "heavy" for example a 747 can call its self a heavy and the A380 a  "super" ive jsut woken up so i cant tell you off the top of my head what the weights are to get called a "heavy" and a "light" if this is wrong disregard and throw away lol
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 04:05:49 PM »
A "Heavy" is attached to any aircraft with a MGTOW of more than 300,000 pounds US, or approximately 135,000 kilograms.

Comm frequencies are in the VHF band from 118.000MHZ to 135.985MHZ for over land, and HF band for long over water routes.  Afraid I don't know the frequency range for the HF and I gotta go make breakfast soon.  Hehe.   ;D

I don't know whether its wise to loop right after tow release, but if your local soaring club is having its tow plane shut off the engine after glide release, they must be REALLY watching their fuel expenses closely!!!  Shutting down an engine in flight in a powered airplane by definition creates an emergency situation.  I guess their tow pilot must know what he is doing, but I would not do that to save a few liters of fuel.   ::thinking:: ::thinking:: ::thinking::
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 04:09:54 PM »
what about the Boeing 757 then?

I believe it's GW is 220,000 to 255,000lbs.....

Is it because of it's vortices??
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 04:17:27 PM »
R/C,the gliders are released really close to final,the last time i saw a glider released,the tow plane turned to final and landed right after he released the glider,could it be the reason?

and about the weight, so technically, a cessna 172 that have been very very very very heavily  modified,can be considered as heavy?
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 05:50:41 PM »
you know i've just done comms and nav systems at college i should know all this lol l
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

airtac

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 06:28:30 PM »
If they are shutting the Cessna's engine OFF immediatly after release, they are shock cooling the engine and will pay the price of cracked cylinders, the price of which will buy many tanks of gas---rather poor thinking on someone's part ::loony::
If the airplane was mine, I would fire the pilot after I got done slapping the pee out the dumbass ::rambo::

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 07:39:45 PM »
Right on Airtac -- just reading about the engine being "shut off" made me wince!!!   :(

Bad, bad, bad.....   they must think they're saving ALL that GAS money.....  alas, the poor airplane is being trashed.....    ::banghead::

::loony::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 08:40:38 PM »
R/C,the gliders are released really close to final,the last time i saw a glider released,the tow plane turned to final and landed right after he released the glider,could it be the reason?

and about the weight, so technically, a cessna 172 that have been very very very very heavily  modified,can be considered as heavy?

You would need a new type certificate for such mod :)

Mike, I think 757 is still M.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 09:23:42 PM »
what about the Boeing 757 then?

I believe it's GW is 220,000 to 255,000lbs.....

Is it because of it's vortices??

Looking in the AIM, it shows (in the Air Traffic Wake Turbulence Separations section) the B757 listed as a Large nonheavy aircraft, but then it is apparently lumped with the Heavies for the rest of the section;  the category is written as "heavy/B757"....   so, operationally it must be because of the vortices...  I guess???   

Does anybody know the details on this?  I'll keep looking here....   

:)    ???

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 12:06:37 AM »
arghhhhhhhhhhh

So Soccermom, nothing to do with this thread, BUT how did YOU become a "chicken farmer" and all your stars turn blue?? ::unbelieveable:: ::unbelieveable::

Have you been sucking up to Mikey again?? ::whistle:: ::whistle::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 02:51:09 AM »
Boy G-Man, there is just NO getting anything past you, is there?!?!?!?!!   ::sulk::

Actually, this latest endeavor entailed 4 cases of Dom Perignon, 6 flats of Cuban cigars, a rather impressive cash transaction (unmarked bills ONLY), and for the LAST item, well, I'm still working on that.....    ::banghead::

Have to write 5000 times:

"Helicopters are better than airplanes"
"Helicopters are better than airplanes"...........

::banghead::

And, I was kinda hopin' for PINK letters, not BLUE.....    :'(

:D           ;)             :D            ;)

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 03:46:15 AM »
Boy G-Man, there is just NO getting anything past you, is there?!?!?!?!!   ::sulk::

Actually, this latest endeavor entailed 4 cases of Dom Perignon, 6 flats of Cuban cigars, a rather impressive cash transaction (unmarked bills ONLY), and for the LAST item, well, I'm still working on that.....    ::banghead::

Have to write 5000 times:

"Helicopters are better than airplanes"...........

::banghead::

And, I was kinda hopin' for PINK letters, not BLUE.....    :'(

:D           ;)             :D            ;)

Hmmmmmmm. So the 5000 lines are good.. Now I know why Mike called me yesterday.. HE was going to tell me all about your "promotion", but just could'nt bring himself to do it.

I feel so empty, my life is worthless, I wanted to be a farmer, I'm going to go hang with Jim--He is NOT a farmer either...we can go drown our sorrows together.. ::drinking:: ::drinking::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 03:57:33 AM »
I feel so empty, my life is worthless, I wanted to be a farmer, I'm going to go hang with Jim--He is NOT a farmer either...we can go drown our sorrows together.. ::drinking:: ::drinking::

We-e-e-l-l-ll,

It's tempting to say this WAS a promotion....   ::silly::    and that, somehow, there's some lofty REASON I get to go farming....  but, ach, I'll share the secret....

Mike told me he decides who gets the farm shovel by their DENTAL status...  and Hey, let's face it....  You guys both have all your teeth!!!

::loony::         :D          :P           ::whistle:: 

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 04:51:12 AM »

Mike told me he decides who gets the farm shovel by their DENTAL status...  and Hey, let's face it....  You guys both have all your teeth!!!

::loony::         :D          :P           ::whistle:: 

hahahahah