Author Topic: question for the helicopter types  (Read 9902 times)

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
question for the helicopter types
« on: February 27, 2008, 06:51:03 PM »
Since I'm a fixed wing pilot I'm curious about the hovering world...Is it true that according to FAA regs that if you learn to fly helicopters in something like an Robinson R22 that without any additional training you could (legally) jump in to oh... say a Sikorsky S76? Of course we're not talking about insurance requirements, just what the FAA does. It seems like in the fixed wing world the FAA has a checkride or endorsement (complex, tail-wheel, multi-engine, turbine training...) for just about everything imaginable :-\. If this is true... What was the FAA smoking when they made helicopter regs?!?! >:D ;D OK OK... I can understand that the FAA might not want to go to all the work of writing different regs for the helicopter world, but maybe they could even things out a bit by reducing ratings in the fixed-wing world ::rofl:: ::rofl::
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
Re: question for the helicopter types
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 09:17:23 PM »
Since I'm a fixed wing pilot I'm curious about the hovering world...Is it true that according to FAA regs that if you learn to fly helicopters in something like an Robinson R22 that without any additional training you could (legally) jump in to oh... say a Sikorsky S76? Of course we're not talking about insurance requirements, just what the FAA does. It seems like in the fixed wing world the FAA has a checkride or endorsement (complex, tail-wheel, multi-engine, turbine training...) for just about everything imaginable :-\. If this is true... What was the FAA smoking when they made helicopter regs?!?! >:D ;D OK OK... I can understand that the FAA might not want to go to all the work of writing different regs for the helicopter world, but maybe they could even things out a bit by reducing ratings in the fixed-wing world ::rofl:: ::rofl::

Yep---Thats pretty much much true until you get to "large" helicopters---anything with an AUGW above 12,500lbs, or unless the helicopter requires a type rating in the type certificate data sheet. Remember the FAA is not about helicopters---they are an airplane regulation agency that just happens to regulate "other" types of flying machines on the side. There are NO pure "helicoter" inspectors in the FAA---Many years ago I was looking at becoming an FAA inspector, but would have had to get airplane licenses first, so gave up. Besides which, the frontal labotomy scared me.. ::eek::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 08:30:43 PM »
G-man is right, we're the cross-eyed red-headed stepchild. You can tell when you read the FARs. Everything is written for fixed wing, and then they have a little "oh! but helicopters must do this" paragraph at the end.....

Our POI (a fixed wing guy) keeps telling us we need to run Guardian Helicopters just like United airlines because it's the same thing.
But when I look at it:
One is an international FAR121 scheduled A to B airline with thousands of employees.
We are a 135 operation (on demand) that flies 4 helicopters into fires and only have a 135 certificate so we can get government jobs.
you be the judge  ::loony:: ::loony:: ::loony::

sounds like I am joking but I am not.....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 03:19:35 PM »
G-man is right, we're the cross-eyed red-headed stepchild.
  ::rofl:: Hey, count your blessings, right. The less the FAA micromanages the better ;)
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 05:08:38 AM »
G-man is right, we're the cross-eyed red-headed stepchild.
  ::rofl:: Hey, count your blessings, right. The less the FAA micromanages the better ;)

uhm.... no. Unfortunately it doesn't keep 'em from micromanaging.
hence see the rest of my previous post. Just because they don't know what we're doing doesn't keep them from trying to control us.
It's the FAA!   ;D

or as we call them "DRD"

Offline Panzerrat

• Cockerel
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 07:41:26 AM »
You all have given me my future career choice.  I'm working for the FAA.  I can be bureaucratic!
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park.”

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 04:27:55 PM »
Besides which, the frontal labotomy scared me..

Here's an oldie but a goodie for ya, G-Man:  "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a Frontal Lobotomy!"   ;D ::drinking:: ::whistle::
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 05:42:45 PM »
G-man is right, we're the cross-eyed red-headed stepchild. You can tell when you read the FARs. Everything is written for fixed wing, and then they have a little "oh! but helicopters must do this" paragraph at the end.....

Our POI (a fixed wing guy) keeps telling us we need to run Guardian Helicopters just like United airlines because it's the same thing.
But when I look at it:
One is an international FAR121 scheduled A to B airline with thousands of employees.
We are a 135 operation (on demand) that flies 4 helicopters into fires and only have a 135 certificate so we can get government jobs.
you be the judge  ::loony:: ::loony:: ::loony::

sounds like I am joking but I am not.....

At least you get to sort of dissappear for a few months when the fires are going.  I may be wrong can't remember if you dealt with them much during the season.
WOW I did that!

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 06:00:56 PM »
AT Least you get to sort of dissappear for a few months when the fires are going.  I may be wrong can't remember if you dealt with them much during the season.

Nope we pretty much don't see any FAA while on fires etc. We somewhat become "public use" and have waivers to carry Hazmat etc. We also get our own squawk code that gives us "priority" handling in the ATC system. However, we do have to deal with the governments aviation managers. Most of their rules exceed the FAA ones.
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 06:28:10 PM »
Besides which, the frontal labotomy scared me..

Here's an oldie but a goodie for ya, G-Man:  "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a Frontal Lobotomy!"   ;D ::drinking:: ::whistle::

I missed this one---funny.    ::bow:: ::bow:: ::whistle::

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 03:15:34 AM »
AT Least you get to sort of dissappear for a few months when the fires are going.  I may be wrong can't remember if you dealt with them much during the season.

Nope we pretty much don't see any FAA while on fires etc. We somewhat become "public use" and have waivers to carry Hazmat etc. We also get our own squawk code that gives us "priority" handling in the ATC system. However, we do have to deal with the governments aviation managers. Most of their rules exceed the FAA ones.

I got "ramp checked" once in Battle Mountain of all places (they officially claim to be the armpit of Nevada, it's on a big sign)
by the DOI where they checked all my "public use stuff".
They do go a little more easy on you though than the FAA in general....

airtac

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 02:30:32 PM »
Ixnay on ampray eckcha talk----it's bad luck............... ::eek::

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 04:25:38 PM »

I got "ramp checked" once in Battle Mountain of all places (they officially claim to be the armpit of Nevada, it's on a big sign)
by the DOI where they checked all my "public use stuff".
They do go a little more easy on you though than the FAA in general....

Battle Mountain huh.  Sorry you were even there one hell of a place, then you had to deal with government types.  Sounds like one helll of a day.
WOW I did that!

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 08:07:45 PM »
Aww, now BAM certanly is one DIFFERENT kind of place....  I think it's the only place where we had our suit-up rack over the big, green, shimmery Haz-Mat spill....  and of course you can't drink the water....  and IF you get brave enough to shower in it, you'll itch like you just got back from a bad trip to the vet's....   ::whistle::    ::whistle::    ::whistle::

BUT, I have had more FUN in Battle Mountain than many, many other places....  there are some GREAT folks there and they have made all the difference....  I can't even see the words "Battle Mountain" without starting to chuckle, actually...  we've had so much fun there.

Of course, it's STILL the spot that can get a rise out of the jumpers quicker than just about any other....  one favorite trick is to wait, on a long ferry flight from say, Utah to California, to pass back a yellow sticky note saying "We're diverted to BAM" and waking up the guys to get them to pass it back to the jumper in the door.....  OH, the LOOKS on their FACES....    ::rofl::    ::rofl::

MAN, do they get excited.......  of course, the paybacks are hell.........   :D
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 04:39:20 AM »
I always thought Battle Mountain was a rather pretty place, but somewhat isolated.  Not nearly as isolated as Ely, though.   ::thinking::

The one town in northen Nevada I can never forget is Wells.  During my truck driving days, the local brothels in Wells always had girls chatting on CB Channel 19, advising the drivers they should stop in for free coffee and free showers.  I'll admit that I actually did that once, and was very glad for the service.  I just had to apologize to the redhead that showed me to the shower when she asked me if I wanted to "Party", because I was trying to make it to Vegas as quickly as I could that day.  I still have in my wallet today a "Free Drink" card from the brothel.

Maybe I should scan that thing and post it for y'all to see...   ::thinking:: ;D
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall