Author Topic: What to do if you loose radio during flight?  (Read 10119 times)

airtac

Re: What to do if you loose radio during flight?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 03:53:05 AM »
I believe there are some VOR/DME receivers that still use a wire antenna to the tail (we had a few 172s at the flight school I went to with them).

This is what my response was based on :P

airtac

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 03:57:32 AM »
I just remembered that we had some 172s at the flight school with the wire to the tail, and was trying to give a comparison.... I actually did realize they didn't have HF radios.  ;)   I didn't mean they were for VORs.   Sorry, I should have used a better descriptive term... I only remembered they were for a NAVigation purpose and not COMM.

Last time I shot an NDB approach was about 6 months ago I guess.    We have ADFs and have to demonstrate the approaches.  ;)

NDB approaches are getting fewer and further between, but we still go into a place or two where an NDB approach is the only one  (in Norvik it's an NDB-DME actually).

Really though, with an RMI an NDB approach is a lot easier than with a fixed card ADF.

I agree on the RMI--even a rotatable ADF card helps but a GPS back up on an NDB is priceless for positional awareness |:)\

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 04:14:36 AM »
I believe there are some VOR/DME receivers that still use a wire antenna to the tail (we had a few 172s at the flight school I went to with them).

This is what my response was based on :P

You're supposed to base your response on what I mean, not what I actually say.  :p

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 04:15:55 AM »
I just remembered that we had some 172s at the flight school with the wire to the tail, and was trying to give a comparison.... I actually did realize they didn't have HF radios.  ;)   I didn't mean they were for VORs.   Sorry, I should have used a better descriptive term... I only remembered they were for a NAVigation purpose and not COMM.

Last time I shot an NDB approach was about 6 months ago I guess.    We have ADFs and have to demonstrate the approaches.  ;)

NDB approaches are getting fewer and further between, but we still go into a place or two where an NDB approach is the only one  (in Norvik it's an NDB-DME actually).

Really though, with an RMI an NDB approach is a lot easier than with a fixed card ADF.

I agree on the RMI--even a rotatable ADF card helps but a GPS back up on an NDB is priceless for positional awareness |:)\

And now that the FAA you can define an NDB with the GPS...   the only reason to have the ADF now is for a backup to a GPS reciever.  ;)
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

airtac

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 04:53:07 PM »
RE; Chat last nite---

WHO was confused???  Sure as hell wasn't me.............