Author Topic: Teenager arrested in suicide hijacking plot  (Read 8802 times)

Offline AirScorp

• Rooster
  • Nick
    • Me on myspace
Teenager arrested in suicide hijacking plot
« on: January 26, 2008, 02:57:54 PM »
Authorities have charged a teenage boy who said he planned to hijack a commercial jetliner in an attempt to commit suicide, an FBI spokesman told CNN late Thursday.

The 16-year-old was taken into custody by airport police without incident on Tuesday evening after flying from Los Angeles, California, to Nashville, Tennessee, on Southwest Airlines Flight 284.

"His stated intent was to hijack the airplane and commit suicide," said George Bolds, an FBI spokesman in Memphis, Tennessee. "He did indicate he intended to die in Louisiana. It appears he had a ticket to Louisiana."

Bolds said the boy indicated he had lived in Louisiana.

The teen wanted to crash the plane into a Hannah Montana concert in Lafayette, Louisiana, two CNN television affiliates in Nashville, WSMV and WTVF, reported, citing unnamed sources. The concert is scheduled for Friday night at the Lafayette Cajundome.

Bolds said he had no information on whether the concert may have been targeted as part of the plot.

In the teen's possession were handcuffs, duct tape and a type of rope or yarn, according to the FBI. Authorities noted that those are not prohibited items. "His plan contemplated overpowering the flight crew," Bolds said.

The teen is being held on unspecified state charges and could face federal charges as well, Bolds said. CNN affiliate WTVF reported the teen has been charged with felony terrorism and is being held at the Davidson County juvenile detention center.

"It is my understanding that at no point in time during the course of the flight there was ever any safety concern," Southwest Airlines spokesman Chris Mainz said. Bolds also said nothing threatening occurred on the flight from California to Nashville.

It was not immediately clear how police became aware of the teen's presence on the flight or his alleged suicide plans.

"Hannah Montana" is a hit Disney Channel show -- which stars 15-year-old Miley Cyrus and her country singer dad, Billy Ray Cyrus -- about a teenage girl who is a typical high-schooler by day but has a secret pop-star alter ego by night.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/25/flight.incident/index.html

It's all Greek to me!

Offline AirScorp

• Rooster
  • Nick
    • Me on myspace
Re: Teenager arrested in suicide hijacking plot
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 02:59:59 PM »
What I like is this
In the teen's possession were handcuffs, duct tape and a type of rope or yarn

While not practical, flight attendants in bondage sound interesting to my dark alter-ego  ::whistle::
It's all Greek to me!

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 08:00:41 PM »
 ::eek:: ::unbelieveable:: ::loony:: what if it was a all male crew!! ::eek::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 08:09:22 PM »
This is a joke... there was no possibility of success.  For one, a single teenager isn't going to be able to subdue even the flight crew.  Even if there was a chance, the entire plane load of people would be on top of him before he could do anything.

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 06:17:07 AM »
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 05:10:47 PM »
I just REALLY hope it was. Hell of a stupid joke, would it be.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 05:55:10 PM »
I can't tell who is serious here or not anymore (downside of a humor forum where people are joking all the time)
but the story is no joke. One of my part-time pilots works for the airport police and had to deal with this mess
(he writes the speeches for the police chief....)

I was just surprised how Baradium can know in an instant what would work and what wouldn't.....
What if the teen was 6 feet tall and the flight crew was little people (or chickens?)

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 06:20:24 PM »
From what little I know, the cockpit doors are bullet proof and dead bolted from the inside, with the hinges not exposed.  So my question is how was he going to get in the cockpit?

I mean lets say for the sake of argument that he did subdue 4 crew members, (SWA flys 737 so they should have about 4 guys in the back) and for some reason the passengers didn't revolt.  He is now standing outside the door of the cockpit  How is he getting in?  He's got duct tape, rope, and handcuffs.  So he goes and get a knife from the deli.  Still, i dont see how he's going to get in.  Doesn't seem plausible.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 06:31:35 PM by undatc »
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 06:33:28 PM »
It was no joke.  Had the kid actually tried and failed to access the flight deck, his next probable method of suicide would have been to open the cabin entry door to the left of the cockpit.  I do not know if he could actually succeed in opening that door in flight, but can you imagine how many people would be sucked out if he could pull off a stunt like that!?!?

Send the kid to Juvi Hall and place him in isolation while awaiting psychiatric counseling, and keep him away from belts, ropes, and sharp objects!  Man, talk about expensive babysitting...   ::complaining: ::complaining: ::complaining:
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

airtac

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 07:24:52 PM »
GEE, the poor kid probably had "issues" because his stepdad wanted him to be a football star and what he really wanted was a spot on the cheerleading team with his transvestite cousin who threatened suicide unless "Tommy" joined him on the squad until he found out he looked lousy in a mini-dress and he would have had to wear panties which always made "littletommy and the twins" itch so bad that all he wanted at that point was to get a sex change operation but unfortunately having breasts would have made it hard for his horse to swim whenever they played water polo so he felt conflicted at which point he thought he might have a chance at gaining some notoriety by duct taping the stewardi (1 stewardess--2 stewardi) to the bullet-proof door of the cockpit--er--"flight deck" and during this daring escapade was planning to ask if a sex change doctor was on board and if so would have hand cuffed him (the doctor) to the smelly person who always sits by me on any airline flight until he got the operation and breast reduction surgery using a purloined credit card but getting a 10% discount for the person from whom he stole the card  thereby making that person wealthy, saving his horse from drowning, keeping his cousin alive and making jock itch a distant memory---
MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS YOUR THEORIES!! ;)

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 07:43:10 PM »
I do not know if he could actually succeed in opening that door in flight,

Cant, actually... Well I am not 100% sure in Boeing case, but definitely it cant be opened in Tupolevs, and I doubt it is made elsewise in any hermetised aircraft for that matter.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 08:51:01 PM »
Aye trust Airtac to take a diffrent look on things lol
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 08:51:39 PM »
I can't tell who is serious here or not anymore (downside of a humor forum where people are joking all the time)
but the story is no joke. One of my part-time pilots works for the airport police and had to deal with this mess
(he writes the speeches for the police chief....)

I was just surprised how Baradium can know in an instant what would work and what wouldn't.....
What if the teen was 6 feet tall and the flight crew was little people (or chickens?)

I meant the idea of success was a joke, not the event itself.

Want my list of reasons?

1) Passengers will no longer again allow an aircraft to be taken over.  My roommate was on an aircraft two weeks ago where a guy went crazy and made a break towards the front (this is after making a scene about where his "seat" was supposed to be).  He didn't make it 5 steps before there were a half dozen passengers on top of him with more ready to take a go at it.  Today's passengers won't allow it.  But we can assume that we're on a plane full of wimps and they just sit and watch.

2)  In that case the flight crew *used* to be trained to be passive and allow hijackers control of aircraft with the idea of negotiations later.  Now they are trained to never allow control of the aircraft to be taken from them.  Even *if* this single guy can take out all the flight attendents and get to the front he's dealing with....

3) The cockpit door is heavily reinforced and barred from the inside.  Entry is all but impossible without being allowed in.   Even if this monster of a man does managed to break down the door, they are setup in a way that it won't be broken in a manner that he can just walk in.  He'll have to crawl in on his hands and knees.   This is where he faces the pilots.  Let's assume that they are little guys too.   This guy is going to be sticking his head into the cockpit, without being able to raise his arms against them until he gets through.  There is something on the flight deck of large airliners called a "crash axe."   These crash axes are designed to quickly cut through the side of an aircraft to *make* an exit when one isn't there.   Needless to say, this guy is going to be giving a large amount of warning as he attempts to break through the door and is going to be facing this as he comes in.

4) The cabin doors.  These doors can not be opened while the aircraft is pressurized.  The doors are designed in a way that the cabin pressure holds them shut.  There is no one who can overpower this and get any of those doors open. You won't even be able to move the handle for the doors due to these safeguards. On the ground when the aircraft prepressurizes (this does happen in many large airliners) it'll be difficult at best.  At cruise it's impossible.   The way the doors open, you'll have to releave the pressure before you get the door all the way open, so no one will be sucked out either.  I guess if he managed to get to an electric door on the ground, while there is only the prepressurization to contend with, the controls might overpower it (I believe that since an incident a number of years ago safeguards have been installed to prevent this).  In that casse, he might fall out, but there isn't enough pressure to pull anyone else.  In flight, even if you could override the doors safeguards, even the motors to drive the electrically controlled doors aren't powerful enough to overcome the pressurization.  This is done intentionally.

OK I give.   If everyone on the plane is a wimp and not willing to fight (not happening in North America) and the guy is some superman he might be able to do something.   Otherwise,  I stand by my comment that a single guy with some duct tape and handcuffs thinking he's going to take over an airliner is a joke.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 08:53:33 PM »
GEE, the poor kid probably had "issues" because his stepdad wanted him to be a football star and what he really wanted was a spot on the cheerleading team with his transvestite cousin who threatened suicide unless "Tommy" joined him on the squad until he found out he looked lousy in a mini-dress and he would have had to wear panties which always made "littletommy and the twins" itch so bad that all he wanted at that point was to get a sex change operation but unfortunately having breasts would have made it hard for his horse to swim whenever they played water polo so he felt conflicted at which point he thought he might have a chance at gaining some notoriety by duct taping the stewardi (1 stewardess--2 stewardi) to the bullet-proof door of the cockpit--er--"flight deck" and during this daring escapade was planning to ask if a sex change doctor was on board and if so would have hand cuffed him (the doctor) to the smelly person who always sits by me on any airline flight until he got the operation and breast reduction surgery using a purloined credit card but getting a 10% discount for the person from whom he stole the card  thereby making that person wealthy, saving his horse from drowning, keeping his cousin alive and making jock itch a distant memory---

Aww, Daddy Airtac!!!     ::banghead::

And here I thought the little twerp was just twsited from having been an Air Attack Pilot who had to put up with STUPID smokejumper planes who made WAY too many streamer passes!!!!!!!!         ::rofl::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 09:15:04 PM »

Actually . . .  this makes A LOT MORE sense than the other theories I have heard so far 
HA HA HA ! ! !

;D ::rofl::

Thanks Airtac!