Author Topic: materials used on modern aircraft  (Read 10644 times)

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
Re: materials used on modern aircraft
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 02:10:28 AM »
I bet there happy they didn't get them now.  A new ad just game out and grounded the twinstar because of catastrophic engine failures after both ecus quit.

Not sure.  my roomie is a CFI for UND right now, and he told my that they are back trying to schmooze them once again.  This time they brought up like 10 diamond stars.  He took a flight in it and says he never wants to go back to piper.
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

airtac

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 02:47:25 AM »
Well from my limited experience and what I've heard, one reason UND didnt go with Diamond aircraft was the fact that they are made of fiberglass.  Due to extreme hard landing or repeated hard landings, it makes it very expensive/difficult to repair a cracked wing or body, some times even totaling an aircraft.

I bet there happy they didn't get them now.  A new ad just game out and grounded the twinstar because of catastrophic engine failures after both ecus quit.
What's the issue date on that new AD?

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 04:09:30 AM »
What Jim said...

I know they'd already made a change to the power sourcing with independent backups at each ECU...
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

airtac

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 03:57:44 PM »
As I understand it (info from factory rep and AOPA independently) the battery had gone dead, the airplane jumped from a start cart and then flown without CHARGING the batteries so when they retracted the gear it overloaded the charging system which in turn killed the ECU's causing a multi engine failure--a fix has been implemented and the aircraft are being flown again.
I recently was invited to an open house for Diamond A/C and I've got to say that I'm truly impressed with this company's adherence to the KISS principle of design---another reason I envy you young pilots---you'll be flying these beautiful aircraft, and other great new designs, far into the future |:)\

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 04:01:36 PM »
Which just goes to show ya, you get in trouble when your Kiliwinkles don't work right.....   ::whistle::

:D
Don't make me come back there!!!!