Author Topic: Chuck Moments!  (Read 9631 times)

Offline AirScorp

• Rooster
  • Nick
    • Me on myspace
Re: Chuck Moments!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 04:13:17 AM »
So Mary, you have no real stories to tell?  :P

That girlie stuff doesn't suit you! You're a true woman after all and not some think-I'm-fancy-this-is-SOOO-yesterday-my-daddy-got-me-a-car-for-my-birthday kiddo from LA (Hey, come to think of that, girls in my town act like this too.. Maybe that's why I'm single)  ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl::

Not that I didn't wake my parents up laughing!
It's all Greek to me!

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 05:45:36 AM »
Hey, I'm sure they'll be able to fill you in on all KINDS of stories....  and some of them might even have to do with WORK!   ::eek::

Yeah, there ARE real stories...  but I'm not sure how to distill them down into anything like "A" good story...  just take all those years of bad air, 100-degree temps, high winds, sinkers on short final, downdrafts, injured buddies, lee side cargo, crashed buddies.....  and stir them up and you'll have the soup of why I have grey hair and no BS tolerance anymore (not that I started with one in the first place).

No joking on that part....  but, I'll try to come up with some good tales here...  But it's really more like one, big, long, drawn-out tale though.....    ::sweat::

::banghead::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 08:08:02 AM »
 ::rofl:: thanks s'mom that really cheered me up and made me forgot my troubles  ;D did you chip you nails while trying to open the doors by any chance?
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 09:35:22 PM »
Hee hee, glad you got a yukk-yukk-yukk!!   ::rofl::   ::wave::

AirScorp, tell Mom & Dad I didn't mean to wake them up.  Oops!   :-[

And Oddball, yeah, I finally had to request the Boss put "chipped nails" on the MEL for the Minivan....  I mean, how on earth can a girl go fly if she breaks a nail?  Sheesh.      ::)

I did have a new spotter once, we were overhead the fire, found a jumpspot, and he had moved to the open door in the back, talking to me on the headset to finalize "The Plan" of attack.  It was kind of a tight spot, but not bad, and when he was done with his spiel to me, I just said "Well....  I can't go down there!"

There was quite a (confused) pause, then a concerned voice came over the headset, thick with worry that he'd missed some awful hazard, and said "Wh-why??"

So I said in my most serious voice "I broke a nail!  We're gonna have to call it off."

He about came up front to kick my a**, but we had a good laugh, and he got much less serious!   ;)

::wave::

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 07:43:02 PM »
Okay, here is a real, and stupid move I did when a young flight instructor....  I just got a call from the guy involved, which made me remember it...   ::sweat::

I was working in fire and doing part time flight instruction in the west, and had an old friend come to visit from the east coast.  He had his private license, and was a real conscientious pilot, but didn't fly all that much.  He was dying to go flying "in the mountains", and we agreed we'd fly to a few medium-sized airports, and if he felt "brushed up", we'd go to a few grass strips. 

We had a great time, and he was doing a really good job.  He was nailing things in the airplane (a new C-152), and we were having a blast.

Well, in hindsight, I should not have let my guard down as much as I did, because we went to a few grass strips, and he did a good job.  (Don't relax!)  So, I decided we'd go to a shorter grass trip near town, that had a slight slope to it (one way in, one way out).  (Don't relax!)  He was a bit more puckered up, but I thought that just meant he had a brain.  It turns out that the addition of tall trees (Don't relax!) was something that made me him truly nervous....  (which I should have thought of..) and he let his airspeed get higher than it should have been on final. 

I should have taken the airplane sooner, but since he had been doing everything so well, I TOLD him what to do, to get us down NOW, before it would be impossible.  (Don't relax!)  I fully expected him to do what I said, and make the corrections, etc.  (Don't relax!)  Well, either he didn't hear a WORD, or else he heard it but FEAR was way stronger, because he didn't correct a darned thing, and we ended up way too high on short final.  Then he abruptly chopped the power, realizing (too late) we were way too high. 

Well, now things are getting REAL interesting, because we're sinking like a bowling ball, and I'm taking the airplane from him, and telling him as much.  I announced we were going around.  Well, thank goodness for healthy cylinders and a good little airplane, because we wallowed out in a stuggling climb over those same TALL TREES that were indelibly imprinted on his eyeballs, and mine.  (Don't relax!)  Man was she ever pegged on best angle speed!

We squeaked through the timber and headed back to the big airport.  His eyes were huge, and he said in shock "There were so many trees!"  That was the first real inkling I had that I had failed to even warn him of what the sight picture would involve....  I had NOT told him fully what to expect, and I had let my guard down because he did such a good job in the airplane.

It taught me to try HARD to see every flight from the eyes of the person I was with...  and I learned a little bit better, Don't relax!     ::banghead::