Author Topic: Spitfire Ladies  (Read 2976 times)

Offline leiafee

• Cockerel
    • "Lets go flying": Scribblings of a novice PPL
Spitfire Ladies
« on: January 11, 2008, 08:23:58 PM »
Missed this yesterday -- my sister pointed it out to me after the fact, but the clip is on the website

Neil travels to an air show in Duxford, Cambridgeshire to meet three former Air Transport Auxiliary pilots, Maureen du Popp, Maggie Frost and Freydis Sharland, who have reunited to relive their experiences of flying Spitfires during the war.

Best bit -- the response from one of these fine ladiees to being asked if she thought she could still fly a Spit now...

"Oh yes -- it's not hard is it?"

:D  :D  :D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 05:53:42 PM by leiafee »

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
Re: Spitefire Ladies
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 08:53:26 PM »
Wasn't able to play it, but still a cool story. It was the same here as well. The Lancs built here were sometimes flown across the pond by women pilots. Some women from here even went over to be ferry pilots.
It was different all over. The Soviets during the war had women fighter pilots. I heard a story awhile ago about a German pilot who was shot down by one of them, although he did not know it was a women. He was captured, and while waiting to taken away, he was asked if he would like to meet the pilot who shot him down. He said yes, straightened up his clothes, and such. Then a women pilot who was PREGNANT walked in. He took one look and said NO WAY!!! Couldn't have been her!
Times have changed now!! For the better!! Todays lady pilots picked up on the work of these women. ::drinking:: ::drinking::
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Spitefire Ladies
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 12:32:04 AM »
Whoa....  Hat's off to you, thanks for posting this!  It is great!   ::bow::

Now, those are some amazing women.  Yes, that comment is something else!   |:)\

Thanks for sharing!!   :)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: Spitfire Ladies
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 06:39:54 AM »
Hahaha, wow, what a comment |:)\ You just gotta love women pilots  |:)\ ::bow::

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
Re: Spitfire Ladies
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 09:04:59 AM »
or the time when a lady was holdong down the tail of a taxiing spit, by laying across it, got a free ride when the spit took off did a perfect circuit with her still on it and landed perfectly the pilot later said he wondered why it was a little bit tail heavy lol
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"