Author Topic: Now where did i park the car?  (Read 6338 times)

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
Now where did i park the car?
« on: December 31, 2007, 01:34:13 PM »
found this on flight international: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN0y8iXQQ58

here is the story about it:
Investigators are examining a Tarom Boeing 737-300 which sustained serious damage during take-off from Bucharest Henri Coanda Airport on 30 December after striking a vehicle on the runway.
Romanian television has shown video images, apparently taken by a passenger seated on the right-hand side of the aircraft, which seem to show the 737 experiencing a sudden impact or explosion during its take-off roll.
Images taken after the event show the aircraft off the runway, with evacuation slides deployed and damage to its left-hand undercarriage and engine.
While Tarom could not immediately be reached for comment, local reports cite Tarom director Gheorghe Barla as saying that a vehicle had been unintentionally left on the runway after checks.
The aircraft had been bound for the Egyptian resort of Sharm El-Sheikh.
Snow and fog were present at the time of the accident. Local reports state there were 120 passengers on board, although there is no indication of any injuries.
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline AirScorp

• Rooster
  • Nick
    • Me on myspace
Re: Now where did i park the car?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 02:10:59 PM »
"Dude, where's my car?" style huh?
It's all Greek to me!

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 02:15:18 PM »
"Dude, where's my car?" style huh?
this is the describtion from the page: A Boeing 737 crashed a car left on the track, on the 30th of december 2007, on Henri Coanda Airport in Bucharest, 11.30 AM
The plane, belonging to TAROM and carrying 123 persons was heading to Egypt (Sharm-El-Sheikh). While taking-off, the pilot saw a car on the track, right in front of the plane, and a couple of people running from it. The plane crashed the car, turned left, got meters from the track and stopped, with the left engine destroyed and touching the ground. No one was hurt.
The video simulation eronately shows the car on the right of the plane, that turns right, actually it was to the left.
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 02:55:20 PM »
did they ever find out who's car that was?

must have been foggy or something, you'd figure the tower sees things like that....

aviation sure can be a strange world....

I made it to Austria unharmed!
All my flights got delayed, and rescheduled, and more but at least none of the planes hit anything. ;D
I am grateful!  ;) ;D
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 04:56:36 PM »
one of my class mates is doing airfield/airport incurssions for his degree project any one out there no of any systems to help prevent this from happening?

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 01:32:14 AM »
From an ATC standpoint, this accident makes no sense.  Either 1) the guys in the car were lost and wandered onto the runway, 2) the controller wasn't paying attention and forgot he had a vehicle on the runway.  Either way, the controller is going to get blamed as,

3-1-3. USE OF ACTIVE RUNWAYS

The local controller has primary responsibility for operations conducted on the active runway and must control the use of those runways. Positive coordination and control is required as follows:

Yes thats from the 7110.65, but the FAA takes most of its policies from ICAO which this airport would have been under.  I would imagine the section reads pretty close to ours.

Edit*

On second thought, there was that one accident up in New England a few years ago in which an AAL pilot (i think) got lost, turned onto the wrong taxi way, and ended up taxing onto an active runway as a flight took off right over him.  The controller cleared the next guy in line to depart and the pilot refused.  Hmmm I cant remember where or when it was, anyone?

This could be something akin to that situation, in that the controller thought the car was in one position and the car was actually in another.  Hard to say for sure.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 01:34:34 AM by undatc »
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 03:43:39 AM »
From an ATC standpoint, this accident makes no sense.  Either 1) the guys in the car were lost and wandered onto the runway, 2) the controller wasn't paying attention and forgot he had a vehicle on the runway.  Either way, the controller is going to get blamed as,

3-1-3. USE OF ACTIVE RUNWAYS

The local controller has primary responsibility for operations conducted on the active runway and must control the use of those runways. Positive coordination and control is required as follows:

Yes thats from the 7110.65, but the FAA takes most of its policies from ICAO which this airport would have been under.  I would imagine the section reads pretty close to ours.

Edit*

On second thought, there was that one accident up in New England a few years ago in which an AAL pilot (i think) got lost, turned onto the wrong taxi way, and ended up taxing onto an active runway as a flight took off right over him.  The controller cleared the next guy in line to depart and the pilot refused.  Hmmm I cant remember where or when it was, anyone?

This could be something akin to that situation, in that the controller thought the car was in one position and the car was actually in another.  Hard to say for sure.

Someone on here posted a link to the video (the New England accident you speak of) before, I remember a discussion about it...
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 10:24:29 AM »
I'm pretty sure I did, but the time and place escapes my mind at the moment.... I'll see what I can dig up.... ::silly::
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
did they ever find out who's car that was?

The car was used on lts system inspection.

must have been foggy or something, you'd figure the tower sees things like that..

Sure it was!
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
from the vid i posted it looks like there was no fog and it was clear so it was just another runway incursion but one thing did that airfield have ground radar to track movements

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 11:06:28 PM »
from the vid i posted it looks like there was no fog and it was clear so it was just another runway incursion but one thing did that airfield have ground radar to track movements

twas about 100m real visibility that day in Bucharest... video can be reflecting the reality not...
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 07:04:56 AM »
Either way, the controller is going to get blamed as,

Funny thing about pilots and controllers---99.9999% of the time regardless of who screws up the worse--unlike the pilot, the controller still gets to go home.. ::thinking::  ::drinking:: ::drinking::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 08:31:37 AM »
Very true, G-Man.....    :'(

::drinking::       |:)\
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 11:50:31 PM »
John Carr, the former president of National Air Traffic Controllers Union (NATCA), runs a blog.  He posted this a day or so ago.

http://themainbang.typepad.com/blog/2008/01/bad-video-good.html#comments