Author Topic: Things you never want to hear  (Read 38436 times)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Things you never want to hear
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2006, 05:13:39 AM »
The sound of every person in back, screaming. 

We had a jumper years ago who had his static line cut when he exited, and he barely managed to get his reserve out at 400'AGL.  It was pushing darkness ( a bad deal!!!) and he hit real hard, away from the jump spot.  His jump partner raced down the canyon, and up the other side to where he hit.  He was injured but a phenomenal LifeFlight pilot got in, in darkness no less, to a rapidly-cut helispot and got him out.

I think if I live to be 100, I'll never forget that roar of all the jumpers left onboard, seeing his chute NOT open, watching him descend so fast.  It was a terrifying moment.  It was such an unnatural sound...  I guess that's what sticks in my mind.

It does make pukers seem like a good deal, though!!!!!!!!   8)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

fireflyr

« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2006, 08:53:05 PM »
Hold my beer for a minute and watch this!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2006, 09:15:03 PM »
The second officer says, "Damn it!"
The first officer says, "I have an idea!"
The captain say, "Hey, watch this!"
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2006, 09:23:26 PM »
Once upon a time my office was directly across the hall from our Unix administrator, who was/is a close friend of mine. This was back in the mid-90s, when networks were not as stable as they are today. I learned to judge how quickly I needed to save my work (i.e. that a network crash was impending) based on various things he'd say or do.

For example, the phrases "Hmmmmmm....", "That's interesting," or simply "Huh..." put me on yellow alert. Things like his suddenly leaning forward and looking closely at his monitor (with or without sudden fast typing), or phrases such as "It's never done THAT before!" "Why is it doing that?" "What the hell is it doing now?" or "I told those [CENSORED]s over at telecom to NOT reset that blade/switch/port/router during the day!" were cues for me to hit "save" ASAP.

Those were the days...

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2006, 10:02:37 PM »
Pilot and co-pilot saying in unison to each other while in-flight....

"I thought YOU did the preflight!"
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2006, 10:45:32 PM »
Pilot and co-pilot saying in unison to each other while in-flight....

"I thought YOU did the preflight!"

HA HA that's great Ted !!!

I can totally see a strip there !!!!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #111 on: December 24, 2007, 01:59:35 AM »
or how about: "how come there is no noise comming from the engine?" has that one been said all ready?  ::eek::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline AirtransRecon

• Fledgling
  • FL90...?!... Contact Houston Space Center
« Reply #112 on: December 26, 2007, 12:57:48 AM »
Two stories.

Friend and i were flying around, I was PIC, he was right seat navigating. We were flying without a GPS turned on, working on dead rec navigation should the unfortunate ever occur that we HAD to  fall back on those skills. After about an hour of silence from my friend and ever growing fact that we were approaching the western beaches of Florida, my buddy turns to me, looks at the map, repeats a few times then asks "Where the Hell are we??"

My brother was flying from Sun N Fun this year heading to San Antonio where he's stationed, driving a Cessna 150 no less. At one point he's passing through an a hot MOA that ATC had given him clearance through. In this particular MOA, Guy (my brother) was amongst B-52's, and the controller was firing off directions like a mad man to keep everyone from flying into each other. At one point he gets his call signs crossed up and calls my brothers number thinking he's talking to one of the Buffs and instructs Guy to slow to 300 for passing Cessna traffic. Before Guy gets a chance to break in and explain calmly that a C-150 traveling at 300 kt either is falling like a brick or has a rocket attached to the tail and in either event the plane would have the wings following well behind, the B-52 pilot gets in first and says, "If there's a C150 out there flying at 300 then I'm getting out of his damn way"

KW