Author Topic: for all you Avro nuts  (Read 7226 times)

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
for all you Avro nuts
« on: December 23, 2007, 12:27:34 PM »
here's a link to a clip about the Avro Shacklton that i have on my bebo page http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jJaFXIzpO3w
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
Re: for all you Avro nuts
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 03:36:25 PM »
SHACKLETONS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The early models look a Merlin Powered Halifax though!! I think less of them fly than the Lanc. :-(
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 04:42:10 PM »
SHACKLETONS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The early models look a Merlin Powered Halifax though!! I think less of them fly than the Lanc. :-(
the last flying AEWMK2  (Mr McHenry of No 8 SQN R.A.F Kinross) was grounded last month wish it could of flown over here than in america would of looked good wi the BBMF Lancaster
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 05:22:09 PM »
the last flying AEWMK2  (Mr McHenry of No 8 SQN R.A.F Kinross) was grounded last month wish it could of flown over here than in america would of looked good wi the BBMF Lancaster

I have a patch from 8 squadron---"8 screws are better than 4 blowjobs",   ::rofl:: ::rofl:: it came out when they were trying to replace the Shack with the Nimrod AEW, (which I flew one time before it was scrapped). And 8 Sqn was Lossiemouth not Kinloss---Unless you are talking more recently..
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 05:26:38 PM »

I have a patch from 8 squadron---"8 screws are better than 4 blowjobs",   ::rofl:: ::rofl:: it came out when they were trying to replace the Shack with the Nimrod AEW, (which I flew one time before it was scrapped). And 8 Sqn was Lossiemouth not Kinloss---Unless you are talking more recently..
you are probably right g-man i get those two mixed up got a cartoon of a shack passing a nimrod lol and you lucky lucky lucky barstool, what where they like to fly?

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 05:36:17 PM »
you are probably right g-man i get those two mixed up got a cartoon of a shack passing a nimrod lol and you lucky lucky lucky barstool, what where they like to fly?

Nother day at the office----I was on the Mk2 for 8 years out of Kinloss.. Lots of power but were really getting old when I left in 89--I'm suprised they are still going..

My crew back in 87, Akrotiri, Cyprus I believe, but I could be wrong and dont have my logbook handy to check.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 05:38:22 PM by G-man »
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 05:43:57 PM »
the south african air foce still has a MK3 flying they did have two but one crashed in the desert on the way to a air show over here. it was air atlantique  who grounded thier MK2 AEW

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 05:50:02 PM »
Here's a pic of the vertical fin of the Nimrod which crashed in Lake Ontario during an airshow. This is on Display at the Toronto Aerospace Museum

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 06:33:10 PM »
Here's a pic of the vertical fin of the Nimrod which crashed in Lake Ontario during an airshow. This is on Display at the Toronto Aerospace Museum

I have many hours flying XV239---I lost a friend in that accident.  :(

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 06:37:41 PM »

I have many hours flying XV239---I lost a friend in that accident.  :(
:( :( :(

The Museum (prior to it becoming a museum) was where the aircraft was placed after the accident for the investigation.

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 02:28:03 AM »
remember seeing that crash on the news and one of my lecturers even knew the pilot and ahd worked on taht nimrod i think

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 06:57:42 AM »
Oddball, I enjoyed the YouTube link for the Shack.  Great videos!  Wish I could have heard those old Griffin engines screaming out their sweet song.

What got to me was the soundtrack for this video.  It included excerpts from the soundtrack of the Mel Gibson movie, "The Patriot".  Not exactly the kind of music to make one yell out "God Save the Queen!"  Have you any idea whether this was intentional or coincidental?

R/C
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 03:20:39 PM »
Oddball, I enjoyed the YouTube link for the Shack.  Great videos!  Wish I could have heard those old Griffin engines screaming out their sweet song.

What got to me was the soundtrack for this video.  It included excerpts from the soundtrack of the Mel Gibson movie, "The Patriot".  Not exactly the kind of music to make one yell out "God Save the Queen!"  Have you any idea whether this was intentional or coincidental?

R/C
sorry R/C got no idea about that one got to ask the person who made the video

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 02:41:35 PM »
here's that cartoon of a Shack passing a AWACS