Author Topic: Things you should never do with a R/C model  (Read 17690 times)

Offline Jupeli

Re: Things you should never do with a R/C model
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 03:01:48 PM »
always file the sharp edges off my props, had a few grey curved ones even priming the engine they left nicks in your fingers
I don't. :D I am VERY glad I didn't file the edges as the prop made nice and smooth cuts, which have healed pretty nicely. Had it been a Master Airscrew or some other less sharp prop, things may have gone ugly.
Inverted vertical landing ;)

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 03:32:19 PM »
had one like yours some years ago but the plane went into my right knee, left three nasty scars. was starting up a plane to do tune it up  at home but did not put on the wings. the plane ran forward as i was throttleing back and a pair of trousers got ruined as well as the air turning a bit blue. thing is if the wing was on it would of been stopped by the pitt box.
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 12:24:50 AM »
Was looking through my latest copy of Flypast magazine and saw the new range of models by Airfix (now run by Hornby) and it reminded me of a time when i was building a plastic Tuplov Bear Tu 95 kit that i had bought from the local airshow a few years back. I ended up with two port wings but no starboard wing so I looked up the address and found out it was in East Germany.  Wrote two letters one in my very bad high school German and one in English, about a month later i got a parcel from East Germany with a letter of apology and the missing right wing and the associated parts to go with it. a year later went to the same airshow and this time bought a BAe Hawk once again there where parts missing again wrote a letter but this time to some where in Englandshire never heard back about the missing part.
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 06:40:02 PM »
Managed to crash a model yesterday morning first time in a long time and it was a good model as well, all i did was a few rolls and then it went out of control either due to a dud battery cell for the Rx or switched it self off but who knows maybe it was just my turn. just glad it was heading away from the pitts area. it crashed in a wheat field behind some trees so it was not totally written off but some work needs to be done on it.

Offline Jupeli

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 11:00:33 PM »
Well... I was flying my rc-planes at Hämeenkyrö airfield last Saturday and everything went great for seemingly the first time in a loooong time. This summer has been nothing but troubles it seems.

At the beginning of the summer I was participating in a pattern competition in Kuopio with my 50-sized electric conversion. Of course, the thing had to quit working just then and I didn't manage to practice at all. The competition was to be on the next day so during the night I spent my time well. A friend of mine happened to have brought a well used .40 cu.in. engine for spare parts. It was missing half of the screws and the rear bearing! :D We didn't let that stop us so we found some random screws and bolts and managed to rebuild the engine and even mount it on the firewall of my plane. Of course I wasn't prepared to fly a glow powered plane so I didn't have, for example, a fuel tank so I built a tank out of a plastic bottle with a lot of epoxy. :) A spare servo and fuel tube was fond and there I was, set to compete the next day! The engine ran, but quit on two rounds out of three and the plane was way underpowered but it flew!  8)

http://www.f3a.fi/photos/kuopio2008/IMG_4568.JPG/
Here I am with my glorious plane. :D

After a couple of weeks there was a weekend dedicated for pattern practice in Turku so there I was with a different plane, a 50-sized Giles 202. My engine was giving me some trouble (The same that cut my finger, by the way.) It just wouldn't run reliably and I made a bit of a hard landing and broke the landing gear on Friday. I decided that I just had to fix it but the plywood it was attached to was broken into many pieces. Luckily I had brought a piece of plywood for a friend of mine to make a couple of firewalls of it so I took a saw blade and started slowly sawing a new landing gear fixing plate out of it. I did make it and flew a couple of flights but as the engine didn't like to work I didn't manage to fly very much.

On the beginning of July I was participating in a pylon racing event at Jämi airfield and I managed to have one good flight before the glow plug on my engine broke and the glow element was right there between the piston and cylinder head, jamming the whole thing and scratching the insides of the engine to a point of being almost useless... I managed to clean the engine and running it again but it the loss of performance was too much so the competition didn't go too well for me...

And I participated on one more contest this summer. It was pattern aerobatics and was held at Ahmosuo airfield in Oulu. Everything started fine, I managed to take a practice flight on Friday evening and I thought I'd start early on Saturday so I could take a couple more flights before the competition starts. Well... It didn't quite go as planned as I was landing the plane and overshoot, I pushed the throttle and pulled the elevator to take another try but the engine didn't agree with me. So the plane tip-stalled into the ground. Not much pattern flying done by me on that weekend...

Well I hope my luck is turning now as the indoor flying season is getting closer and closer. ;)

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 11:29:05 PM »
aye for some reason im having some trouble with my glow plugs just now as well, last time i had toruble like this was on a engine made by SC in china turned out there was still a bit of metal swarf on the piston head and it was blowing the plugs.

Offline Jupeli

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 04:28:05 AM »
aye for some reason im having some trouble with my glow plugs just now as well, last time i had toruble like this was on a engine made by SC in china turned out there was still a bit of metal swarf on the piston head and it was blowing the plugs.
Oh yeah... Mine was a Super Custom, too. An SC .40A :D That's what we use for Q500 pylon here with a 9x6 APC prop. I now have a new engine in my GP Viper. Luckily the only cost ~50€

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 09:28:58 PM »
Resurection time:  had a slight accident a week  last friday when my trainer went dead stick..........it flew into a tree. tried to get it by going home and getting my climbing ropes out. could not get it but when my dad went out last sunday found out it had vanished.  Some scumbag must of got it and stolen it. what hurts is I learnt to fly on that plane and have had it for over twenty years.  Hope something bad happens to the barstools  ::complaining: ::rambo:: ::rambo::