Author Topic: Things you should never do with a R/C model  (Read 17686 times)

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
Things you should never do with a R/C model
« on: December 23, 2007, 12:35:11 AM »
you should never do a mass take off with more than ten planes then do a mass loop with a rough running engine you might be the one that goes "dead stick" near near the appex of the loop. or never do a mass take off wi more than ten planes then shout dead stick when you have half a dozen planes behind yours just as they are airborne with now where else to go but straight ahead
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
Re: Things you should never do with a R/C model
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 07:27:02 PM »
Hmmmmm, Sounds like the result was a big pile of shredded balsa, monocote and radio components  ::rofl::  ::rofl::

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 09:42:04 PM »
Hmmmmm, Sounds like the result was a big pile of shredded balsa, monocote and radio components  ::rofl::  ::rofl::

Brian

I'm waiting for more explanation on what happened myself.   ;)
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 11:04:43 PM »
maybe there's even a video . . .
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 11:07:57 PM »
maybe there's even a video . . .
'fraid not mike just one shaken up model pilot lol
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 02:19:51 AM »
told this one in the chat room on here: in a galaxy far far away when i was learning to do circuits i got mixed up wi a mass loop i was flying a high wing trainer called a junior sixty made by flair very slow but stable (still have it after all the escapades its been thru) just as the first six where on the way down i was crossing underneath them all i could do was put the sticks to the corners and do a sharp spiral dive barly managed to get away with it

Offline ecophil

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 03:23:47 PM »
The secretary of my club has gone two or three times in emergency to the nearest hospital because he has (once again) forgotten that the engine was already running when he attempts to remove the glow-plug alimentation from the front of the airplane.

Yep a running engine with a grey airscrew is a dead trap for fingers on a noisy airfield.

This may happen a bit less now since he now uses Robbe red airscrew instead of Graupner grey ones.

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 06:35:44 PM »
done that a few times, had a prop go into my right knee leaving three deep scars, three months ago my dad sliced the tops of all his fingers on his left hand, nicked the top of my dad's left hand when we did not talk to each other, i was holding the torque motor an dmy dad was holding back the plane he went to put his finger on the carb to choke the engine and i spun the prop needless to say he got red stuff on my white pilatus turbo porter never spoke to him for a week for that  ::sulk:: lol

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 02:45:29 PM »
here's a little incident that happened one sunday morning a few months ago, there was four of us down beside the grass runway me, my dad (who was acting as spotter), the club chairman called harry and one other called mike (no not this mike), they where doing their usual thing which is mini reno air races and i was getting back into the grove of aerobatics by doing a few stall turns when next thing i hear is "i have a great idea lets change boxes" so mike and harry changed boxes so they are flying diffrent models it was going well until mike says "opps i think i have flicked a switch harry" this distracts harry he loses sight and control of mikes plane it end up crasheng into a tree just a few feet away from the pits area and almost hits mikes dad who was just setting up his own plane at the time luckily there was no injuries but the plane was a wreck, mike jsut got the model back from repair after another crash the week before.

airtac

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 04:26:44 PM »
Sounds like "let's switch boxes and OOPS!" can lead to what some folks call a "Chinese fire drill" ::silly::

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 10:51:47 PM »
one day This flash bloke who own(ed) a local hotel took out this two grands worth of heli and started to hover it all of a sudden it started to act up and it hit the ground pretty hard  broke the tail boom and other serious damage, basicly it was a bin job we done all the usual post mortem stuff eventually we found out he did not charge up his reciver battery the night before he had a battery checker on the heli and  never looked at it  when he swiched it on  to do his pre flights the red light was on meaning low power or no power in it, but what was worse he never told his wife that he had shelled out all this money on the heli lol give me a plane any day. must remember to loook out some of the pics of my planes and post them on here

Offline Jupeli

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 01:16:30 PM »
There are things you should never do and then there are things you should always do. One thing comes to my mind... Always add a plenty of glue to the high stress areas of any Chinese ARF plane you build. What is it with the Chinese and glue?  ::loony:: China Model Productions' (CMPro) ARF's are lightweight and I think I know why...  ::) Two weeks ago, I was taking my new bird, a CMPro Giles 202 (http://picasaweb.google.com/LauriPit/Misc/photo#5189829093762547010), flying for the first time. First flight was a complete success, amazing roll rate and tracks great. Very nice flyer. But then came the second flight and, especially, the second landing. It looks kinda weird when a plane rolls down the runway and suddenly the landing gear just collapses. Upon closer inspection, it turned out there was practically no glue holding the landing gear fixing plywood plate to the bottom of the fuselage. Luckily I only lost the wheel pants for good.

A new plane with a new engine... Oh well, there really are some things NOT to do. The Giles had a new OS .55 AX glow engine running on full power and OF COURSE I had to introduce the prop to my fingers.  ::banghead:: Now that's not a nice feeling...  ::knockedout::
Here's a pic of my finger after a brief visit to the health center: http://picasaweb.google.com/LauriPit/Misc/photo#5189829089467579698
Inverted vertical landing ;)

airtac

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 04:22:19 PM »
OUCH!!!!
Looks like you violated the aviation rule that says; "NEVER place any appendage within the arc of a spinning propeller"  ::eek::

Offline Jupeli

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 06:09:37 AM »
OUCH!!!!
Looks like you violated the aviation rule that says; "NEVER place any appendage within the arc of a spinning propeller"  ::eek::
Kinda... These grey APC props are good but invisible. I was fortunate enough the prop only cut a couple of slices. It is capable of much more. Oh well... At least that really teaches to treat these engines with respect.
Inverted vertical landing ;)

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 06:55:38 AM »
always file the sharp edges off my props, had a few grey curved ones even priming the engine they left nicks in your fingers