Author Topic: Look whats heading my way....  (Read 5410 times)

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
Look whats heading my way....
« on: December 15, 2007, 02:11:42 AM »
This is not gonna be fun since I have to work Sunday and have a 80 mile round trip commute....  ::banghead::

The National Weather Service in Burlington has issued a Winter
Storm Warning... which is in effect from 3 am Sunday to 7 am EST
Monday... for northern New York and Vermont due to heavy snow
accumulations and blowing and drifting snow.

An intensifying low pressure system tracking from the mid Atlantic
coast into the Gulf of Maine on Sunday will spread heavy snow
across the entire north country. The snow will be heavy at times
on Sunday and may actually mix with some sleet over south central
Vermont Sunday afternoon. The snow will gradually taper off Sunday
night with total snow accumulations by early Monday morning
ranging from 18 to 24 inches over the northern Adirondacks of New
York and 12 to 18 inches over the Saint Lawrence valley of New
York... the entire Champlain Valley... and the remainder of the
northern and central Vermont. In addition to the heavy
snow... gusty north to northwest winds will be developing late
Sunday into Sunday night... which will cause blowing and drifting snow.

This will be a dangerous storm for the north country! The
combination of 1 to 2 feet of snow and gusty winds causing blowing
and drifting snow will result in very hazardous travel conditions.
Please be aware that travel conditions will deteriorate Sunday and
Sunday night!

And we already have 14 inches of the white stuff on the ground ::complaining:

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
Re: Look whats heading my way....
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 02:30:32 AM »
Time to call in sick?

That or leave for work saturday....
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 03:01:35 AM »
Time to call in sick?

That or leave for work saturday....

Actually I have to work Saturday too.... Ahh the joys of being the Weekend Supervisor... I gotta be there..... ::banghead:: ::banghead::

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 03:20:02 AM »
Wow, how to travel thrue all that? A 4WD high ground-clearence vehicle with narrow spiked tires?
Denmark might be similar soon since new EU-rules makes our national emergency snow clearing system ruined since the drive would have to be ready one week before being allowed to drive out fast in the night, which is impossible to detect, and not economic for the drivers hired by the counties to react within an hour to clear the snow and before that spread wet salt on the road to clear out frost. And even with that there are tons of cars that just keep driving too fast and end up crashing into each other or off the road.

I hope your travels go safely!

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 07:38:17 AM »
Have fun, Brian!  My sister sent me the local forecast for her area, it said two to 4.5 FEET possible...  JESUM CROW...  she was in a big rush, said she HAD to go, seems they are low on beer and the thought of running out while snowed in, is simply NOT acceptable!!   ::rofl::   Enjoy!!   ::bow::

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 07:53:10 AM »
Time to invest in a snowmobile buddy.  At least you only have to to to work and back.  Tomorrow morning, the 15th, i start my 1700 mile trek back home to Seattle.  Weather predicts lots of snow throughout Montana and Washington.  Good luck buddy!  :-[
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 01:53:52 PM »
You are going by car? Ow, good luck then...

just by the way, LHBP Budapest has been closed for snow yesterday.

SWLH0014 LHBP 12151208
SNOWTAM 0014
A)LHBP B) 12151200
C) 13L F) 62/62/62 G) 01/01/01 H) 5/5/5
      N) 62 B/A=5
C) 13R F) 62/62/62 G) 01/01/01 H) 5/5/5
      N) 62 B/A=5
R) 62
T) ESTIMATED BY CAR/ CONTAMINATION ON RWY 13L/R 90 PERCENT WET 10
PERCENT SLUSH/ ON TWYS AND APRONS 90 PERCENT WET 10 PERCENT SLUSH
MEAN DEPTH 01MM.))

However local is
SWLZ0027 LZKZ 12150325 COR
SNOWTAM 0027
A)LZKZ B)12150325 C)01 F)NIL/NIL/NIL G)XX/XX/XX H)5/5/5 CAR
N)NIL
R)APN1-NIL  APN2-NIL
T)DANGEROUS CONDITIONS CEASED.)

making me kinda jealous :) I'd be happy if we got at least 3-4 inches for the christmas.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 02:05:29 PM »
Wow, how to travel thrue all that? A 4WD high ground-clearence vehicle with narrow spiked tires?

Nope, Just a Mecury Sable (front wheel drive) with a decent set of Nokian Snow Tires, should be interesting  ::rofl::

Brian

-

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 04:21:03 PM »
Well, when I lived there, I didn't know one person who owned a 4WD...  no such thing..  they just weren't around then.  You made sure you had weight in the trunk if you had a car, or sand in the back of a pickup, and that was that.  And, people didn't get all wigged out about blizzards or bad weather.  When it got WAY cold, in the days of unheated garages and barely-heated houses, my dad drained the oil out of the car and it sat in a bucket in the kerosene stove in the kitchen...  then he poured it back into the frozen car at 5:00 a.m. to make it to work...  many years of which was outdoors, the poor SOB. 

Fast forward to Boise.....  where 95% of the transplants from other places drive humongous SUVs, 100% of which are 4WD, but no one uses studded tires, so when it snows the usual amount of ONE INCH here, the roads are instantly slick with ice and there are 300-400 accidents per DAY.  Black ice is very common as well, so even on dry days (precip-wise), the roads can be coated with invisible ice, and ditto....  people are flying all over, with bad wrecks, and fatalities are common.  A "storm" (that is the phrase they use on the TV channels here for ANY cloudy day)  ::loony::  that snows one inch will make headlines for 2-3 days.

So, I have to admit, it is just amusing as hell to watch nor'easters dump on the east coast and bury the area in tons of snow, and then listen to people here get totally freaked out if it snows 3 inches. 

OOH EEK, I see snowflakes!!  Time to call in the Mounties!!   ::loony::     ::loony::     ::loony::     ::loony::

:D             :D              :D              :D             :D            :D                :D

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 10:03:10 PM »
What's this about Canada being the land of snow?! We just got a major hit, and it came from the U.S.!!! From Texas!!! Is W sending weather our way?  :D :D In fact the US gets more snow than we do. Well our part of Canada. We had at least a foot in a 12 hour period.
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 01:30:11 AM »
There's about 15-16 inches on the ground as of 8 pm tonight.. snowin' like crazy still. Probably 2 feet by morning.... Glad I bought my company's old snow blower... Already used it once tonight.

Brian

-

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 11:10:55 PM »
Here's what you need Brian...

http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/news/local/4574298.html

I can't even bring myself to repeat the article's headline.   Sooo corny....
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 01:54:42 AM »
I spent almost all of my shift on Sunday and about half of Mondays shift in the company pickup plowing snow... Kinda like Gordy's "Yep, it's a powerline" mantra, mine was Drop the blade go forward, pick up the blade, back up, angle the blade, drop it, drive forward, pick up the blade, back up, drop the blade drive forward... whoops turn quick... Why the hell did Fed Ex park the bloody ATR there! Procede to pile snow all around the ATR parked in the middle of the ramp >:D Resume my Drop the blade go forward, pick it up and back up for 4 hours straight....  ::banghead:: ::banghead:: Peel myself out of the cab, stagger inside for the restroom and another coffee, and then for some variety, crank up the snowblower for an hour.... Time for more coffee, back in the truck, Drop the blade go forward, pick up the blade, back up... Sheesh  ::rofl:: ::rofl::

Brian

-