Author Topic: redbull airrace  (Read 6679 times)

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
redbull airrace
« on: December 04, 2007, 10:20:56 PM »
http://www.vrmag.org/vartist/spotlight/NEW_DIMENSION_IN_AVIATION_SPORTS_RED_BULL_AIR_RACE_ABU_DHABI_2007.html

...it's an article within a project I was working with, but I'm quite sure you're going to like it! Enjoy!
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
Re: redbull airrace
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 06:58:31 PM »
Pretty exciting stuff! My friend just did a presentation on the red bull air races for her spanish class. 
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 07:07:55 PM »
Yep... I wanted to go to Budapest sooo badly - and I could not in the end  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :'(
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 05:38:25 PM »
Yep... I wanted to go to Budapest sooo badly - and I could not in the end  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :'(

I was at the Interlaken RedBull Airrace and wow, it was amazing. the shame was that it's impossible to get a picture. well, I only had my cellphone with me and it was not the best instrument actually!  ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead::
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 11:23:09 PM »
Pretty wild, air racing like is similar in principle to auto-x (auto-cross) for cars, except that's normally done by amateurs and such, this however makes F1 look a gocart race with 5-year olds! I found a clip on youtube, possibly also available on the official homepage, where a plane pulled 9g when it had to do the, uhm, immelman? And that was the same plane that lost wingtips during that manouver the day before, it was totally wild to see that, both outside and from a cockpit camera showing the pilot. It didn't get any less wild trying such a race in MS FSX, and that was wild just with mild throttle keep the speed under 100kts, and then after finally completing the course the mission narrator said the route is possible with full throttle  ::eek::

A shame about the camera but hey, you saw it for real! 8) I know about bad camera equipment though, my camera's rechargable batteries work full inside, then I get outside the next day, turn it on, and it can't even turn on, blinking the batteries are totally drained :(

Frank
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 11:27:28 PM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 11:38:33 PM »
I guess that in the case, something is wrong with the camera, it could only take veeeery small, if any, current turned off.. definitely not enough to discharge after a day or two.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 12:06:36 AM »
AOPA just had a story that the Red Bull team is no longer..  it's being dismantled...  the airshow people will be looking for jobs.   :(
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 12:10:20 AM »
I think that's the Red Barron squadron airshow act rather than the Red Bull Air Race. No bull!

(Unless they can find another sponsor. Bah. That pizza sucked anyway... they can do better!)

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 12:17:24 AM »
Ahh, THANK you Mister Duck-er-OO.  I wasn't very awake...  still ain't...  I think I managed 2.5 hours of sleep last night...  which does NOT work well for this old fool! 

Thanks for the note, by the way, always nice to hear more good news....   is it winter there, btw???  I thought of you and your trusty winged steed when that last storm went through..  did you get lots of snow?

(And Yes, Mikey, I know, I KNOW -- I simply CANNOT stay on topic.....  but....  you knew that by now!!!)  :-)

Thanks for keeping me in line here...

::bow::    ::bow::    ::bow::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 12:36:35 AM »
I read Red Baron too on the aviation news on the danish pilots site.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline leiafee

• Cockerel
    • "Lets go flying": Scribblings of a novice PPL
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 07:39:57 PM »
I went to the first Longleat one here in the UK.  Magic!  Made me want to jump up and down.  In fact I think I did jump up and down.  I also had a walk around the aircraft and couldn't believe how tiny they are.  Engines with wings.

Didn't go to the London one this year because they'd ramped the price up by a ludicrous amount and the view was better on the telly.

I'm planning to go to one of the European events next year. 

airtac

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 04:26:09 PM »
Be sure to take some pictures of yourself with the airplanes for us to see--ENJOY!!! |:)\

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 08:12:49 PM »
 heres a link to THE ONLY FLYING AVRO VULCANin the world  http://www.tvoc.co.uk/ enjoy. cant wait to hear those 4 avon engines again. ::bow::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 03:01:34 AM »
heres a link to THE ONLY FLYING AVRO VULCAN in the world  http://www.tvoc.co.uk/ enjoy. cant wait to hear those 4 avon engines again. ::bow::

Great aircraft, they used to fly overhead when I was a kid---showing my age again. There was one as gate guard at Finningley that I climbed into during a drunken dare many many years ago. I believe one of the pilot seats ended up in one of the single NCO's houses at the end of the road, down from the main gate. Don't ask how I know..  ::whistle:: ::whistle::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 08:29:44 PM »
on a mission to see if the college would pay for fourty of of us to go down to see XH558  ::thinking:: do you think i have a chance\\\/ lol
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"