Author Topic: Hundred dollar hamburger  (Read 15414 times)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Hundred dollar hamburger
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 10:32:42 PM »
 ::unbelieveable::

woah!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 01:03:28 AM »
Hi Leia, nice to see you again  ::wave:: You pay 1.42 pounds per liter AvGas!? Wow, I think AvGas is cheaper than car-gas here and even that isn't that expensive, yet. Edit: Just checked and found a motorcycle forum where one asked about AvGas and one said it was about 9 DKK/L and not taxed!
Btw, 1.42 Pounds Sterling per liter makes 10.99 USD/us gallon according to XE.com and 3.785 Liters per US gallon (funny the US gallon is smaller than the imperial one, which is 4.54L)

We got some 95 octane RON on the Lancer for 8.61 DKK/L (6.43 USD/us gallon) but the day after it was back over 10.15 DKK/L (7.58 USD/us gallon) (there's a local price-war on fuel here in the area).

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline leiafee

• Cockerel
    • "Lets go flying": Scribblings of a novice PPL
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 07:29:37 PM »
It was £1.33/litre until a few weeks ago when our gracious overlords who run the airfield decided us residents were going to pay the same rate as visitors.  (And don't get me started about their notion of charging landing fees for touch and goes...)

Cheapest I've seen avgas lately is £1.20/litre.

Thats why there's such a huge market of Brits trooping across the Atlantic to learn to fly in spite of having to go on bended knee to get a visa to do so.  (And spend a second fortune getting used to British weather again when they come home!)

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 05:04:03 AM »

Thats why there's such a huge market of Brits trooping across the Atlantic to learn to fly in spite of having to go on bended knee to get a visa to do so. 

I was going to "go off" about the state of UK aviation, but I have thought better of it, this being a "polite" forum an all  ::whistle:: I am sure some would not appreciate my thoughts on the matter..  ::whistle:: ::whistle:: I'll go back to my "martoonis", which are helping with the cold---even colder than the UK right now up in North Dakota  :o
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 06:29:08 AM »
G-Man, what the heck are ya doing in North Dakota, and whereabouts on the Frozen Tundra are you?  I've been all over that state and I still have a few friends up yonder I keep in touch with.
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline The Dancing Bear

• Fledgling
  • DammifIknow where we're going!"
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 01:42:43 PM »
Frozen tundra is right ! I was stationed there in my wild & misspent youth (GFAFB), THAT is where I learned what COLD really looks like !! Sometimes I miss it though......right along about the time I want some "Everclear" to ah, actually never mind, I just wandered off down the lane again. Lots of time,miles,& water have passed by me since then.
A&P / IA. by profession, Parrothead by choice.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 03:08:48 PM »
Lots of time,miles,& water have passed by me since then.

As the late Sam Goldwyn would have said, "Yeah we've all passed a lot of water since then."  Hehe.   ;D ;D ;D

I actually have family in GFK, but I ain't naming names!    ::whistle::

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 10:16:18 PM »
G-Man, what the heck are ya doing in North Dakota, and whereabouts on the Frozen Tundra are you?  I've been all over that state and I still have a few friends up yonder I keep in touch with.

I am checking these for DoE:

I am near the Big Cow:

In the Tundra:

And its friggin cold, minus 17F with the wind chill this morning..  ::unbelieveable::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 10:36:40 PM »
They sure do like their sculptures in ND:

I flew over the enchanted highway:

http://www.enchantedhighway.net/

But it was too dark to get pictures..

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 12:30:08 AM »
Oh, I'm so glad you posted The Cow...  I don't know how many times I have driven by that thing....

Stay warm!!!   ::drinking::   ::drinking::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 01:06:10 AM »
Oh, I'm so glad you posted The Cow...  I don't know how many times I have driven by that thing....

Stay warm!!!   ::drinking::   ::drinking::

Trying to stay warm.. I landed by the "cow" and kicked out my "line rider" with camera to get that shot..  ::whistle:: ::whistle:: Luckily no-one was in the parking lot..  ::whistle:: ::whistle::  Or should I say--"I made a "precautionary landing" due to an unexplained vibration, dropped off my passenger, and then conducted a flight test to determine the cause of said vibration. Once I deemed the vibration had gone, and the aircraft was again in good flying condition, I picked up my passenger--who happened to have taken some pictures".  ::whistle:: ::whistle::

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2007, 01:20:46 AM »
Yee-e-e-sss.....  I was THINKING that, when I saw the cow.  Well done, young man, you know those vibrations can be pretty important!  (That's what she said too.....).....   ;D

Glad you're staying warm!!  I'm sure DoE appreciates you.....   ;)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2007, 03:16:03 AM »
Great pictures! 8)

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2007, 04:21:11 AM »
Well G-Man, out in Western ND I know the owners of the FBO's at DIK and ISN.  Both are good friends of mine.  The ISN fella was actually my best man at my wedding.  I still trade emails with the head of the State Aeronautics commision who has an office at the BIS airport city FBO office.  I am well familiar with the Cow, since I used to fly over it in a C402 pretty often while flying UPS freight from BIS to DIK.  I have driven past it and the ducks in flight.

If you have to overnight at DIK or ISN, tell them you know a certain former truck driver that used to fly up yonder and see if they'll buy you a beer!   ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking::

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2007, 04:24:35 AM »
And its friggin cold, minus 17F with the wind chill this morning..

Dude, pray you get out of there before the temps drop to -30F to -40F, not counting wind chill!!!   ::eek:: ::unbelieveable::  Nothing is as miserable as pre-flighting or post flighting an airplane in that stinking cold of temperatures!